I can try to explain how to make it.
1. You take five sheets of paper, ideally 5 different colors, and cut them to be the same size. Again, ideally it would be in a size that is divisible by 5, depending on how big you want the foldables.
2. Fold each sheet into 5 even sections.
3. Starting with your top sheet, cut off the top inch up to the first fold. (That makes the tab look)
4. Continue cutting up to each fold (2nd page - 2nd fold, 3rd page-3rd fold, etc.) Afterwards, you should have 5 tabs and they all show like the tabs in a notebook.
5. Place the pages in order and staple. You can add a cover page too if you'd like.
Hopefully this is what you are thinking of and makes sense!
I used these with my first graders last year during a rainforest unit and it turned out great. I'll attach a picture! (They are the trees in the middle of the board, with the various colored pages!)