Treasures reading series flip charts - ProTeacher Community

libramom

Treasures reading series flip charts
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use these? We just started Treasures this year and I was planning on not using the flip charts instead doing a modified version of Daily 5. My principal has started "walk-throughs" carrying a checklist of specific things he is looking for from Treasures. The flip charts are on the list. He has already commented to other teachers that certain activities he observed are not part of the Treasures program. Now I have to work these flip charts into the daily 5 and make everything look like it is part of Treasures. I was thinking maybe just using them on Friday and not doing daily 5 that day or maybe I should try to follow this program the way it was designed and hold off on the daily 5 for awhile. Any ideas? Thanks!

libramom is offline   Reply With Quote

playtolearn

those f lip charts
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

they seem good in theory, but these children can't read what they are supposed to do. they pictures aren't that explicit. I tried usingthem once last year, and that was it. They look like fun activities.
playtolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

libramom

Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the response playtolearn. I agree about them not being able to read the directions yet. I guess it is time to do what I know is right and be ready to explain my reasoning for not using them. I like the ideas in daily 5 so much better anyway.

must_b_crazy

Nope
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did not use them last year, and do not plan on using them this year either. I agree with PP they cannot read them, so I just did my own thing. I am planning on using the Daily 5, but my principal isn't as strict.
must_b_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote

moldlor

?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you talking about the flip chart with the poems and word charts? If so I use them throughout the lessons. My students are able to read them.

We play Swat with the word charts. I have two small flyswatters. Two students stand at the chart and I call out a word from the list. The first to swat the word gets a point for their team. It's a fast paced game and the kids love it.

I don't use all the vocabulary charts. Those are more difficult for them.

I wanted to incorporate Daily 5 also but I can't figure out how to with the series. We have to give the weekly assessment so I have to make sure I teach all the skills for that week. How do you do it?

moldlor is offline   Reply With Quote

libramom

moldlor
Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm actually talking about the flip charts used for stations or centers. There is one for each subject; reading, writing, word work, and a social studies/science one. I really like your idea for using the large teaching chart with the fly swatters. I will have to try that it sounds like fun.

As far as the daily 5 I'm not sure how I am going to do it since this series is new to me. I am thinking my mini lessons will be divided into phonics, spelling, vocabulary, comprehension. I will probably not do daily 5 on Friday since there are so many assessments to give.

scarf_and_mit

i keep them out
Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i do use them in my room. i have my kids do something similar to daily 5 but not exact...but i can see how you could incorporate them into daily 5 as well.
i use the science/social studies and writing ones in the writing center - use these for work on writing. you will have to tell the kids in the beginning of the year what they will be doing in the writing center and leave them up for a reference (i also make a word bank on monday of words the kids suggest for those topics). later in the year, the kids should be able to read them by themselves. i also sometimes give them different topics like reader response topics to stories we are reading and put them in the writing center too as another option to the flip chart topics. (i have a separate writer's workshop time so this writing basically follows treasures stuff.)
i have my kids do a word work too - either making words or sorting them...and this is exactly what the flip chart tells you to do. my kids know how to do what i ask them to do anyway - i just basically keep the chart out to keep admin happy. they're doing what the chart says - most of my kids probably don't even know that chart exists though.
and the reading one is mostly reading to yourself, which is basically read to self/ read to a partner. i keep it out, but again, my kids probably don't know it exists. but it makes admin happy to see them in "use."
scarf_and_mit is offline   Reply With Quote

Joan215

Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach in an inner-city school with about 97% poverty level. The flip charts are difficult for my students to read on their own...especially at the beginning of the year.

One suggestion I had gotten at a workshop this year, was to wait a week before incorporating them into stations. This way the vocabulary and lessons have been taught, and it should be review for them.
Joan215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Leslie1

Leslie1

ELL First Grade
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use the flip charts in conjunction with my own centers. I use them as a guideline and then make them more fun, by supplementing with my own stuff. Especially for the science/socail studies ones. Kids tend to just copy the stuff for the writing activities rather than generating their own ideas. So I don't display that one frequently.I do think they help me to organize my centers themes though.