Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade.

TIA

newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Try this graphic organizer
Old 09-05-2009, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

as an introduction to the parts of a story. First, model several times with books read aloud to the class. Then have students help to complete a few of these graphic organizers together after your read aloud or a common read. Then finally require them to complete one on their own using an independent reading book.

http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/

then go to story map 1

Then I do focus lessons for each element.

I usually start with character. We discuss a character's physical description and personality characteristics. We discuss adjectives that describe the character. Then we choose examples of things the character did to display this personality trait.

Then we discuss the importance of setting and also emphasize that this includes the time as well as the place. We read a story like Brave Irene where the story takes place in the winter during a snow storm. I have them rewrite the story as a summer story. Most have the conflict as a rain storm. Then we read a story set in the past like Mailing May and the students write an updated version where the same plot is happening today. Most send May home on a plane with air mail.

We then discuss plot and the importance of correct sequence. I give them copies of stories cut up and they have to put them into the correct order.

Then we discuss conflict. We read a picture book like Jamanji and discuss the problem. We retell the story verbally through discussion without the problems. They quickly decide it would make a boring story.

Finally we focus on the resolution. We read a story and then see if we can solve the problem in a different way.

The important thing is to have the students use this new knowledge in their written reading responses, as well as their discussions about books.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote