Letter Recognition and Letter Sound Intervention Small Group Activities - ProTeacher Community

Mugs

Letter Recognition and Letter Sound Intervention Small Group Activities
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm doing intervention groups in the afternoon for a program called IDM - I'm in need of more letter recognition activities and letter sound association activities that can be done in about 15 minutes in small groups settings - besides "matching concentration - with letter cards that a particular group needs work on" and "Letter/Sound Bingo."

I've used the Florida Website -

http://www.fcrr.org/

for some ideas - and I've used many "Take It to Your Seat" literacy centers that I've had for many years and other stamping and overhead projector marker and plastic over lays (letter searches) in books and crazy ideas that I've made up in my head (some worked - many weren't even in the category of "so-so")

Anyone have ideas or know of other sources I can look at for some variety???- or I will go absolutely nutty! By the way -"Bingo" -personally - isn't my cup of tea- but I'm doing it. Some kids enjoy it through my fake smiles. :-)

Thanks!

Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love heidisongs cd for letters. You could use that and have the kids practicing making letters in shaving cream. I love the idea of the tracing bags, you put hair gel or shaving cream into a ziplock bag and the kids trace the letters on the outside of the bag. I'm going to try those this year. Also Dr.Jean's Alphahardy is a good one for helping to learn letters.

Also I would try making a sound muncher. It might give you some variety. http://www.marcias-lesson-links.com/...0Monsters.html
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

smitty509

you may have already tried these but...
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

what about sound sorting - choosing 2 or 3 different sounds and having students sort small items - like dollar store stuff, etc. - into the appropriate containers?

discovery bottles/containers that have items that all begin with the same letter - students search and name

lots of name games using the students' names - I just saw a neat sliding game - put name on a word strip and pull through a slit in a folder - students really see it letter by letter, sound by sound

feely boxes - again using 2 or 3 different letter sounds - hide something in box and when child pulls it out must decide which sound goes with which letter
smitty509 is offline   Reply With Quote

eatteachlove

Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

check out kellyskindergarten.com

she has a ton of amazing resources
eatteachlove is offline   Reply With Quote

kattlyn

alpha
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

one of my favorites is to use the alphabet arc and say tongue twisters - kids guess which letter tongue twister starts with - some can guess the letter, but don't know what it looks like - they try to be the first to put their letter on the arc! I found tongue twisters at alphabetmats.com - (they also have a list of activities you can try)fcrr.org has the mats to print out. I do this with jolly songs too.
*I bring in old toys that my kids had, like small ones from McDonalds and legos, beanie babies, etc. - hand them out to children in my group - they have to tell me what the item is (girl, raccoon, whatever) - then tell me sound and letter - they love doing this! I usu. have to have a talk BEFORE we play or the boys always want the jeep or something so it's what i give them or they don't play that round
Someone gave me some foam letters that she cut out - we do many diff things: put them in a bag - they feel it - tell me what letter they think it is - if they don't know, we pull it out and others get to help. I also play Hap Palmers 'march around the alpha' with the foam letters - can also throw them on the floor and call out a letter - whoever gets it first, keeps it - one with most letters wins.
Childcareland.com has several alpha ideas-check her video clips - more free patterns there. I made some of hers, laminated, then sticky tack in random order on shower curtain. Roll an alpha die, they have to find that letter and place a marker on it
Alpha graphs - i think that's from Shari Sloane's site: 6 letters per die, graph how many times you roll that letter- we like to guess which one will come up most.

kattlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Thank luv2chat!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have already made a purchase order for heidisongs cd's and dvd's and waiting for approval - thanks to this chatboard and it's sharing of these cd's songs and movements and website for ordering.

I've asked for the district to purchase the letter songs - and the sight word songs =$110 worth for each teacher (we have to do the interventions at the same time - schedule so sharing can be tricky) - I have principal's approval - waiting for superintendent's signature on requestion.

Dr. Jean is coming to my area in November - and I've signed up for her conference (waiting for the professional development committee to approve of my application to be able to spend "teacher quality money" to attend this conference - so I hope to get more ideas then - but November is a long ways away - I'm just one who needs a change of pace every couple of days.

I guess I am the one who has a short attention span! :-) - - I do have limited $$ resources.

I've used malto meal in a round cake pan to trace letters in - and when I'm feeling goofy, I've used cool-aid mix (the kind with sugar added - I KNOW, not healthy - but motivational!!!) for the students to trace in (each getting their own pan).

They sure love licking their finger after each practice!!

I'll have to try the hair gel in the ziplock bag.# With small groups - (I've got a group this year that would poke holes in the bags "just because" - meaning they have no reason why they would do that other than to do it because I asked them nicely not too) so with small groups, there should be a little more supervision when using the bags.I'll check out this website during the weekend - Thanks for responding so quickly.

I'm going to bed early tonight. I'm so wiped out.

Mugs

Thanks smitty509
Old 09-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yeah - I could ask the preschool which I know - use to have those little containers of objects for each letter to use to sort sounds with. I hope they still have them and haven't thrown them away.

Discovery bottles/containers - I tried to collect bubble bath containers that were clear plastic to do this with 5 years ago - I was really proud of myself that I had 5 to 7 in the towel closet and I was thinking I had a good start. Thought about putting them together one day -and I went to the closet to get them, and they were gone. Husband threw them out - and I never started that idea back up again.

The sliding game name stripe sounds cool. I have those CVC sliding card like things where you pull and uncover one letter at a time and at the end, there is a picture of the word as a self check. But the name idea brings it personal to the student. Thanks!

Feely boxes - I loved them when I was little. I hope the preschool still has those little butter container sized letter/sound sorting objects!!!

Thanks!

Mugs

Thanks eatteachlove
Old 09-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'll study this site tomorrow. Thanks for sharing it!!

Mugs

Thanks kattlyn
Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

alphabetmats.com and childcareland.com

I'll check these sites out as well.

Jolly songs?? I need more information. What's jolly songs?

I HAVE FOAM LETTERS!! Cool - that's a can do!

What is Shari Sloane's site address?

Thanks a bunch!

dreamgirl

Mugs
Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is Shari Sloane's site.

http://www.kidscount1234.com/
dreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Dreamgirl, thanks for the Shari Sloane site!

I love the letters on the bus song! That is too cute. I just made a poster to go with it to help me remember it. I'm going to post it near my teaching area. Here is a copy for anyone else who needs a visual reminder. I'll have to order her CD.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

kattlyn

jolly songs
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

jolly songs is a cd from the jolly phonics program - I only bought the cd for the songs :
http://www.jollylearning.co.uk/

I like them because they are very short and help with letter sounds. I've found free pictures for them at: http://www.communication4all.co.uk/

the only song I don't like so much is the one for /i/ - ink!
kattlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Thanks ya all!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This should keep me busy for a while! Again thanks!

Mugs

lolasmom

Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Kattlyn...thank you so much for the communication4all site. It is wonderful. This site has so many goodies to download. You could stay on this site for hours. Thanks again.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote