Singing "O Canada" - ProTeacher Community

FancyFish

Singing "O Canada"
Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was reading a question on the vent board about the American pledge, so I thought I would ask a question here, just out of curiosity. Does your school sing the anthem every morning? My school plays it over the intercom. Not every student sings it, but everyone stands respectfully while it plays.
Added: not everyone sings because a lot of the older kids are embarrassed, and we can't really force them. The younger ones all belt it out.

Last edited by FancyFish; 09-06-2009 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: added something
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

Oh Canada
Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Played over the intercom (CD of a children's choir) and we all sing along. Everyone (adults and children) in hallways and offices also stops and stands still. We also sing at start of weekly assembly.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

happyface

Once a Week
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once a week over the announcement system. All stand but not all of them sing.
happyface is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Canadian Anthem
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Curious--you said all stand but not all sing. Is that normal? Are they not singing because they are embarassed to sing, because they aren't happy to be Canadian or just are feeling lazy? Are students required to sing? Just wondering how it all works!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

O Canada
Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We stand and sing it in English, then in French, at all assemblies. A while back, we sang it at the beginning of each day with the announcements.

Does anyone "Salute the flag" anymore?

Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

mushyk

Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our anthem is played at our school every morning but some versions are much to hard to sing with... so not all kids sing. As long as they are standing still and tall, I don't mind if they don't sing.

We also say the Lord's Prayer every morning. We are not a catholic or christian school.
mushyk is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Assemblies
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We only sing O Canada at assemblies. The music teacher goes over the words with the younger grades so they all know it. We also Salute the Flag right after O Canada. I had never heard of it until I moved to Alberta and had to learn it.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

CowBeans

O'Canada
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We sing O'Canada each morning as it is played over the announcements. Most of the students sing. We face the flag but do not salute it. I have never heard of this before. I did have the V.I.P. wave the flag at one point. Great question!!
CowBeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Salute the Flag
Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When we salute the flag, we raise two fingers to our forehead (like the boy scouts) and say something like:

I salute the flag,
The emblem of my country.
To Her I pledge
My love and loyalty.

I think it may be something that is done in Alberta as some of the teachers not raised in Alberta have never heard of it.

Last edited by Suezie; 09-07-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

angel77

O Canada
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The anthem is played over the PA system every day and we all sing. Different versions are played - some better than others! (even the French version)
angel77 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have never heard of saluting the flag. I am a Newfoundlander by birth, and in addition to the anthem, the "Ode to Newfoundland" is always sung. Does any other province have an ode?
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

salute?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think I did recite the salute as a girl scout, but I've been in classrooms as a student and teacher from Toronto to Vancouver and all provinces in between and have never done nor hear of it done in the classroom. So I don't think its a common thing. I live in Alberta now, and have taught in Edmonton, Calgary and a large rural district. I'd have nothing against doing it at all but its not done here.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Never done salute the flag in any of the three districts I have taught in (2 in BC and Calgary). We only sing O'Canada at the beginning of our assemblies.
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The Salute the Flag is only done at assemblies. It's been at all three schools I've taught at in Calgary. It was never done in BC.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We sing O Canada at the weekly assemblies. I teach the Ks all the words but it takes them a while to remember them all. It's quite amusing when they belt out only the parts they know: O CANADA mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble LOVE mumble mumble mumble STRONG AND FREE mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble O CANADA WE STAND ON GUARD FOR THEE

I haven't heard the salute to the flag since I was in Grade 6...gasp, 39 years ago! All I can remember is "I salute the flag, the symbol of our nation..." something like that. Also in Grade 6, we had to learn to sing O Canada in French.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Well
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think the school tries to remember to sing it every week. I make my kids stand and freeze where they are. Most still sing it.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

travlnjen

Confused...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Some schools "try" to sing is once a week? In Ontario, it written in the Education Act that school are to begin or end the day with the national anthem.

I have my students stand...of course, and I sing, so usually they sing with me. I start the year with the preface of "Everyone is so proud to be Canadian and patriotic when we win the gold medal in hockey, so it isn't too much to ask to stand for 2 minutes 5 days a week." Most of my kids understand that (Grade 7/8).

I had never heard of "Saluting the Flag", but was interested to hear about it. I wish our kids did this. I went to Kindergarten and Grade 1 in the U.S., and still know the Pledge of Allegiance.
travlnjen is offline   Reply With Quote

MaggieD

O'Canada
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

O'Canada is played over the PA system each morning. Most of the kids sing. One of the intermediate teachers teaches the grade 7 and 8 students to 'sing' O'Canada using sign language. The participation level for the intermediate students really improved!
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote

travlnjen

Quick update...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I gave my students the option of singing today or not. I did sing, and found more than half of the class sang along with me!
travlnjen is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I grew up in NB and we sang O Canada, and God Save the Queen every morning and did the salute to the flag and the Lords Prayer (not a catholic school) Up until the Spring I taught in NB schools and it was sung every morning but nothing else, at special assemblies such as Remberance day we also dang God Save the Queen. All children would stand and sing, we had some funny lyrics in K "we have glowing hearts" "OUr home is made of land", I had a JW in my class last year and he just say quietly with a book during it.
There was actually controversary over this in NB last year a principal stopped playing it because he had families at the school that didn't participate and didn't want them left out, other parents got upset saying they wanted it to be a part of the day, lots of harsh and strong opinions were put out in the letters to the editor of the papers. In the end it was said all schools would do it.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

I don't get it
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

now it is optional whether or not to sing the national anthem? I wondered why my school stopped doing it and I think it is sad and quite disrespectful.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenn102

Jenn102

O Canada
Old 10-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It gets played over the PA system before the morning announcements every day. Everyone stands, and most kids sing (some older kids are embarassed to sing in front of their peers so they stand quietly). The younger kids sing their heart out!

HeatherJ

Old 11-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Each school in our province is able to make their own decisions on whether or not the anthem is played each morning. It is our my school, and my son's. I sing and that has always motivated the children to as well. ( I actually love that they do because I can not carrry a tune in a bucket and would not like to be doing a solo each day.) The students that do not stand because of religious reasons remain quiet and seated at their desks.
HeatherJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Kayaker

O Canada....sign language
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I would really like to teach my Grade 6 class to do O Canada using sign language. Anyone have a link to a video? There are some on line, but they all seem a bit different.

Thanks
Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

S.W.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Our school has never played it daily. It's played at our monthly school assemblies, but that's about it.
S.W. is offline   Reply With Quote