Lesson Closure Activities? - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

Lesson Closure Activities?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to finalize my lesson plans for next week, but I am stumped for lesson closure activities. I am hoping that I can get some good ideas from my PT friends about ways to effectively close a lesson.

I already know/use exit tickets. I am seriously blocked as to other good strategies. help!

tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Old 09-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thumbs up/thumbs down (whole class assessment); 3-2-1 Three things you learned, two questions you have and one thing you liked; Post-its with questions that are placed under the desk to be answered as an exit ticket; create a MC question and 4 answer choices.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
MiddlingAZ
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM
This message has been deleted by MiddlingAZ.

MiddlingAZ

closure
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the 3-2-1 idea! Closure is such an important step, yet too often I skip it. I was trying to think back to my Madeline Hunter workshops, but deleted it because I wasn't happy with my own brainstorming. I decided to search the Web and found these on a teach-nology forum:

Go around the room asking students to tell one thing that they learned today. Since each student can only give one thing, this gives more students a chance to respond and may jog the memory of students that do not usually respond.

Fishbowl: Every student anonymously writes down a question that they have about the lesson. Collect and mix up in a bowl. Draw questions and have students answer.

3 whats: What did we learn today? So what? (How is this important? relevant? useful?) Now what? (Follow up? How does this relate to our unit outcomes?)

Sentence starters permanently displayed on a poster,
I learned...
I'm beginning to wonder...
I have a question about...
I'm beginning to understand...
I want to know…
I feel…
I think…
Today, I understood…
I was surprised that…
I would still like to know more about…
I am still confused about…
This lesson was valuable because…

Think-pair-share--pose an application or other higher level wrap-up question, allow time to think individually, turn to a neighbor & share.

And one final post from the forum which I thought makes a good closure to this discussion : "In regards to the person who said "Quiz 'em" I don't agree with this idea. In college I had a prof who at the end of a particular class lecture gave us a pop-quiz. We all freaked (grad students by the way) and did poorly. As she let us go she asked to think about why we did poorly. When we returned to class the next day we worked with (applied) what she had lectured about and took the same quiz again. She then opened discussion about the previous quiz and here's what we came up with (and what she was trying to teach):
(1)All students need to "work" with the material in some way, (2)all students need time to process the material and (3)all students need to spend time with material.

Bless the World Wide Web!
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! These are great - keep 'em coming! I want to make a collection of ideas for those brain-fizzle days.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

MissS

closures
Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think that depending on the type of lesson, there are different ways to close. In a math lesson it's almost always us doing problems together, and then each child coming up with a problem which then becomes a pool of questions for the kids to finish. In other types of lesson we come back and reflect upon what we've learned.

MissS is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

Another idea about 3-2-1
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also use the 321 strategy, but I do 3 things you learned, 2 questions, and 1 strategy you used (this works well for reading). I also always keep an extra set of 321 exit slips in case I get a pop observation. My administration always looks for closure, so I never stress if someone walks in b/c I know that slip is always handy.
imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

ATeachH

I love the 321 exit ticket
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here's mine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 321.pdf (47.6 KB, 1727 views)
ATeachH is offline   Reply With Quote

leecee

Your 321 PDG
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you mind if I copy your template, I love the smiley's and I know that my students will enjoy them and be more apt to fill out the form. I use the admit/ exit tickets and have used the 321, but I really never had a "template" for it.
Thanks,
Leecee
leecee is offline   Reply With Quote

ATeachH

Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nope, go for it...that's why I put it on here
ATeachH is offline   Reply With Quote

Red Hot's Mom

Thanks for help with closure!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is the hardest part of the lesson plan for me. I know that I "do" closure, but often I can't figure out how to write it into the plan. Thanks for some great tips.
Red Hot's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
s0s15

s0s15

No more brain freeze
Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just want to thank everyone that posted. I was having a brain freeze and needed new creative ideas to close a lesson. So thanks for all the great ideas!!
iteach8

iteach8

Stump the Teacher
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am glad you had this post because I am getting ready for my big observation tomorrow and in my pre-eval the only thing my principal commented on was he was looking for my closure. I had put exit tickets in but worried from his statement that this was not enough. Reading through your ideas, I decided I could use Stump the Teacher for closure. The students can make up questions for me about today's lesson and I can take turns asking them higher order questions in return to see if they can beat me.

sseteacher

Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love this!
sseteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tech21

Thanks for the closures & here are some more
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and for posting the 321 exit sheet. From the looks of it, the 321 ticket has been opened 850 times - so kudos to you!

I'd like to add some closures to keep this list going:

• Popcorn: This can be as messy or as clean as you want. Pose a question, and have the students become "popcorn" and jump up to call out the answer. Since I'm a quiet control-freak, I have to do it the neat way... I have students "pop" up and call out an answer and sit down. They can pop up when no one else pops up (so I guess it's more of a slow pop). If they all pop up at one time then we start again (it actually helps students to monitor their surroundings). It's still lively and the kids love it. At the end, if I'm in a good mood, they can pop up and call out their answers all at one time.

• Jingle: Stand up and sing something about what they learned in class. (For the sillier class...)

• Secret/Whisper sharing: Pose a question, have students answer by whispering to their partner. Then turn to another partner and whisper the answer. Share with the class any whispers that were heard. (It's a gimmick, I know...)

• Paper snowballs: Have students write a question on a piece of paper. Crunch it up and have a "snowball fight." When time is called, students pick up the paper, open and share with a partner. Repeat, if time allows.
Tech21 is offline   Reply With Quote

ChemTeacher1

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is a great 3-2-1. Thanks!
ChemTeacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

aid2007

3-2-1
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you so much for this template. It's so much nicer than the one I have.
aid2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

QCteach

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I will absolutely use the 321 template. Thanks so much!!
QCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ChefT

321 closure
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you for the template. Handy to have!
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote

ams149

Lesson Closure Activities
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hello, I am also searching for lesson closure activities and while stumbling around google searches, I found this GEM:

http://edc448uri.wikispaces.com/file...e_a_lesson.pdf

Enjoy!
ams149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kali Ball

Kali Ball

Snowball
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love this snowball idea! I am student teaching in a 7th grade ELA class, and am planning a lesson on Word Wiz Vocabulary review...This is going to be awesome for them because these 7th graders are active!!! Thank you! =)