America's Choice - First 30 days - ProTeacher Community

kula0802

America's Choice - First 30 days
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there anybody out there that is using AC First 30 days? We are using it this year and I love the reading workshop first 30 days but am finding the writer's workshop first 30 days a little difficult to understand. It has second graders keeping a writer's notebook to keep their "seed" ideas. This has been a struggle as to when to write in the seed notebook and when to draft and so forth....

If anyone is using either of these, please give me your thoughts and/or your success tips.

Thanks!

kula0802 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kel. my Belle

Our first year too..
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also really like the reading, it is very well laid out. The writing is slower going and the sourcebooks were a real headache. I sent a letter home explaining to parents what a sourcebook was and how we were going to put it together.

we decided as a grade level that we would not be sending them home. So we work on them throughout the year. I am letting my kids work on it if they finish morning work early and would rather do that than read a book, I also set my timer at the start of writer's workshop for 7 minutes and they can all choose to work in it then if they want, but after 7 minutes they must put it away and begin to write.

We devided ours up into three sections for second grade (I used the post-it note dividers to section off and label everyones notebook before I gave them to them. My three sections are; topics, memories, and pictures. so far a few have brought pictures and we have worked on a couple of topics lists that they have added in the sourcebook.

PM me if you want me to send you the letter.
Kel. my Belle is offline   Reply With Quote