Help

Math & Science

EnVision Math 4th grade

>

play4heat

EnVision Math 4th grade
Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read lots of postings fro last year about this program. Now that you've used it what tips d you have? I am in day 4 am I am tweeking it daily. I need some advice.

I statred doing daily spiral and problem of the day. Then went into homework correction, lesson and finished with review.I am spending way too much time with all of this. I cut out review no time to correct to level homework. I assign reteach and practice fro workbooks for homework and modify for kids who can't do it. In independent practice i can not ever finish so now i am doing just even but the probkems at the end we do together.
Our old series was Harcourt. The kids did well on state testing. It had quick review and and a mixed review was built into every lesson and homework too. I think this seems to be missing and it's great.

When the kids come intothe classroom we begin with math. i love doing a quick review at this point. Do many of you strat with the spiral, then the lesson and skip problem of day.

So far I hate this program. Help!!!!!!!!:confuse d:

play4heat is offline   Reply With Quote

gingerg49

Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've found that I need more than one day per lesson. My kids aren't "getting it" the first time. I use the spiral review or quick checks for morning work and we go over them quickly before we start the lesson. I don't have enough time to do it all in one sitting (and they can't graps it anyway) so I've been breaking it up and adding more hands on instruction when I can. I started copying the practice sheets for independent work instead of using the text. I'm not sure if I'll continue down this path or not. I"ll play it by ear. We are going to test on Numeration (minus money-too much right now for their little brains) and head to Topic 2 next week. I definatley prefer the blackline masters to the text.
gingerg49 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

You made me laugh..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At our school only 2 teachers do this prgrm exactly like it is scripted but they spend 100 min a day and are shortchanging other classes. The rest of us make it work. I am in 5th here is what I do--which is by no means WHAT you should do---it is simply what works for me.

What I hate about this prgm is it is too reading intensive. The low kids just drift away.....

To open school I pass out other worksheets on mental math for an opener--spiral took my kids 15 min and half did not have a name on the paper--so I bagged that pronto....Then we correct the BOOK lesson from the day before --10 min. Then I intro the lesson (aka direct instruction --INTERACTIVE) 20 im or so-----Then I assign only the probs from the book. Usually 30-35 of them. On some days if it is doable I copy the pages on paper so they can write the answer on the paper. BUt mostly they use binder paper. I am a neatness nazi so I demo it on the Elmo and 90% are quite legible. I frequently use Singapore math challenging word probs with my envision and I staple a wksheet to their binder paper--usually only 2-3 probs per page. But the Singapore stuff is true prob solving so I think it can count for 10 enVision probs. (Envision word prob are my peeve)

I do not use the homework book. When my kids bomb tests--I use only the free response test BTW---I keep those who fail in for a lunch discussion and they rip out the lessons they failed ---and do them for extra homework. I give them extra credit (which is insignificant but they do not know that) and a gold star for their name chart. Then after they practice the ones the missed on the wksheet they get to retake the test. Oh--I let them SEE their test--but they do NOT get a copy of it. I review the concepts and similar probs but I do not correct the test with them---then they memorize answers. They can get up to 85% on a retake. Actually they can get 100% but my grade book only sees 85% tops on a retake.

I do nothing else--no quick--or spiral --some of the games are fun---and I don't really use the tech piece much. My test scores were 80% proficient or higher so I guess they are doing fine. I do add extra stuff where they need it. I do math activities of important concepts every Friday.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year with enVision, and I am frustrated too. The lessons are long and dense, and I don't feel that my students are getting enough out of them. Also, the games are pretty blah so far.

We're just finishing Topic 1, and I'm already planning a major overhaul of Topic 2. The district has said that we need to follow the program faithfully this first year, but I don't see that happening. Of course, I haven't had any training yet. I was hired just before school started, so there wasn't time. I'll get my training on the first teacher workday.

I miss my Everyday Math!
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

make it work
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And incorporate your great everyday math activities into this program. I loved the singapore program--but we did not adopt it--alas, I use their word problems because they are true problem solving whereas lots of the envision WP are just math problems in word form. I use their instructions sometimes too and I also use their books for extra work when the kids need extra practice--they use so many pics --few words and give lots of work space--fewer prob per page.

-I agree--the games are sort of a snore-pretty milk toast for activities--so I add my own activities every Friday.

When I went to the training the trainer told us --"you cannot possibly do it all if you don't have at least 90 minutes. Pick what works for you."

tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Colorado4th

Colorado4th

Teach
Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh CRAP! I have not even started with this and you all are scaring me. Our STUPID district caved to anti-Everyday Math parents and now we are stuck with this
I think I will can the book work and just do the worksheets for now. Our kids are SOOOO used to Everyday Math that an actual textbook and copying problems will be horrifically long in teaching them how to evern do this!
YUCK