ARCHIVE

Main Idea/Supporting Details

>

teach3npc

Main Idea/Supporting Details
Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help!

How do you teach this skill? Do you have any wonderful materials you could share of great ideas that have worked for you?

According to my beginning of the year assessments, 85% of my students do not understand this concept!

Thank yoU!

teach3npc is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

The Important Book
Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Play a game. Why do we go to the grocery store? The main idea is to buy groceries. Why do we bring our bikes in the garage at night. The main idea is to keep the bike from being stolen. Why do you need the swine flu shot? The main idea is to keep from getting the swine flu.

Read The Important Book to your students. Stop after each topic...the author writes about several topics and your students will be able to determine the main idea for each topic.

Now have your students write their own important poetry about themselves. They will have no trouble coming up with a main idea sentence.

Give your students poems that have a main idea. Shel Silverstein has poems your students will enjoy with topics that will allow your students to find the main idea. After reading and discussing, have your students write a paragraph like:
The important thing about (poem title) is _____________________.
It is true that ________________ and ________________.
In the poem, ___________________________.
But the important thing about (poem title) is __________________.

Then read aloud books like Snowflake Bentley, Amos and Boris, or A Chair for My Mother. Maybe you have titles you would like to use. I recommend using the same poetry format for finding the main idea in these books.

Other terminology you can use for main idea are "What is the most important thing about this story?" or "What is this story mostly about?".

I hope this helps you.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Jersey Lady

main idea supporting details
Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tell my kids that the main idea is like the top of a table and the details are the legs that hold up the table. We read a sample paragraph. I draw a line on the board for the table top. We figure out what the main idea is and I write that on the line. Then we find the details and I draw as many legs down from the top as we need. I write each detail on a leg. After we do this a few days, I have them draw the table and write in the words on their papers. Then I have one student come to the board and show us what he/she did. I use the same idea when we write paragraphs. They draw and fill in their tables as a planner for their writing.
Jersey Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I send home a Mrs.Waffenschmidt
Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

from Education World online. It is listed under lesson plans. Each one describes a famous landmark somewhere in the world without naming it. Students have to find the main idea in the description to research and find the answer to the location. This helps them to learn main idea, research skills and geography all at once. Then we reread the clues in class, discuss the correct answer, locate the place on a world map and look at a picture of the landmark online. Also if they do not spell the answer correctly or use capitals in the proper nouns, I do not count their answer as correct. They enjoy doing one each weekend because it is a riddle or mystery. If they solve it correctly they receive a reading detective reward and get to select something from the treasure chest. I know parents are helping them, but the modeling will help and with all the repetition they will get better at all these skills and then be able to do them on their own.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote