Halloween craft idea - ProTeacher Community

karie

Halloween craft idea
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for an easy, but unique Halloween craft idea. Something simple and inexpensive that my 5th graders could make to spruce up my room.

Thanks for any suggestions!

karie is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

ghosts
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw a craft where layers of cheesecloth were dipped in liquid starch and then draped over a detergent bottle that had a pipecleaner wound around the neck to make raised arms. The bump over the lid becomes the ghosts head, the raised arms lift the cheesecloth for ghostly arms and the cloth was left to puddle which makes a base. When it all hardens the ghost can stand on its own, its see through and very ghostly. They added black shapes for eyes and mouth. I used the ghost for several years before it eventually collapsed.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlove76

Spider
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's a cute spider craft that I like to make. You take black paper (I think 1/2 a sheet will work) and fold it into a cone shape then tape it or glue it in that shape. Then you use another color and cut it into 8 strips and fold the strips back and forth (to make the accordion?? style fold) and then tape or glue those to the bottom of the black paper, these are your spider legs. Add eyes and attach a string to the top of black paper (the top of the cone) and hang it up! Sorry I am writing this from memory, so I hope this makes sense!
teachlove76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Pasta Skeleton
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Directions for this can be found at:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/cra...pastaskeleton/

It's not nearly as dramatic as Bertie's idea, but it might work if all that cheesecloth would be considered a fire hazard.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

You could have a haunted house competition
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You could have students draw haunted houses. Post them up in your classroom or outside your classroom, and have students vote for the best haunted house. Give 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons out to the winners. You could also announce the winners over the intercom.

powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

ghosts
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have done the cheesecloth ghosts with my classes for years. We do it on a Friday afternoon so the ghosts can dry all weekend. The kids love it, many get very creative about draping their cheesecloth.

I usually ask for donations of small kid-size water bottles, this way the form is weighted, and use strips of aluminum foil to create arms around the neck of the bottle. I pour liquid starch into large bowls and the kids dip their cheesecloth and then drape over the form they have created.

Be sure to protect desks.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie99

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Where do you get cheesecloths?
cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

cheesecloth
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can buy it at the grocery store or a kitchen supply store - I'd check the dollar store in the kitchen section. Lots of people wrap their dressing in it before stuffing it into the turkey, makes it easy to remove. You also use it for straining stuff like yogurt. (I had a recipe recently that called for yogurt cheese made that way.)
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2learn2

I am starting a unit
Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

on Dead Explorers for the month of October. We will be researching them and creating Tombstones, ghostly figures, skeletons, etc. to decorate the room with. The last week of October the kids will bring in a pumpkin and decorate the pumpkin to look like an explorer of their choice. As they decorate I thought they could give clues as to who their person is and at the end we will guess their explorer. Sort of like a chalk talk using pumpkins. Then they can take the pumpkins home to decorate their house or throw away. Just an idea!
luv2learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ellensclass

??????
Old 10-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Confused about liquid starch. All I know of is the spray starch you use when you iron or corn starch (cooking)???!!!???
Ellensclass is offline   Reply With Quote

never cooks

haunted house
Old 10-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have the kids make a diorama of a haunted room. They usually do it at home and their families love to get involved. Then I thumbtack the boxes to a bulletin board in the shape of a rectangle. I then add a roof line and other details to turn it into a house. The kids love it and it gets lots of comments from others in the school.
never cooks is offline   Reply With Quote

youseemesmile

Skeleton
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The students can use white q-tips (whole and cut up) to create a skeleton on black construction paper. They can draw the head themselves with white chalk or crayon, or you could provide a skeleton head clip art.

http://www.crafts-for-all-seasons.co...-skeleton.html

Last edited by youseemesmile; 10-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: added a link
youseemesmile is offline   Reply With Quote