kinder problem - ProTeacher Community

gsttchr

gsttchr

kinder problem
Old 09-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm posting this here because I would like to be a K teacher. I've been subbing in a class where one child becomes so difficult that it makes it very hard to not interrupt lessons and the rest of the class suffers. She likes to bond with me,which I do when I have time one on one but when I'm giving my attention to the whole group she sometimes chooses to not do her work. Thats fine I send here to a table to quietly wait till she's ready. She won't stay there and when I tell her if she cannot follow the rules she will have to go to another teacher's class, she physically refuses to go.

I have mostly begun to ignore her and continue. The problem is when we are on the rug and I am reading a story, she will try to get attention by rolling under the easel next to me picking up pointers and attention getters and basically calling attention to herself. She will not go to the cool down area and I cannot lead her there as I would have to stop the lesson. I have tried to talk to the class about ignoring, but it is hard when this child's actions are so visibly noticeable.

I have tried giving her special jobs, special signals which we agree upon in private. These work to some degree, but at times she just wants attention and will do whatever it takes to get it including disrupt a lesson. I've noticed when I have to direct energy towards her it throws the other students off. Basically I'm wondering what you would suggest a sub do in this case, and what you would do if it was your class. The teacher is aware of the situation and has given me permission to call help to remove her if the situation escalates. But when we are on the rug, the phone is all the way across the room and there is no other adult in the room.

yoohoo

Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

since you were given the go ahead, then yes go ahead and make that phone call...it's ridiculous how much attention this kid needs...

and if you need to stop the lesson to call then nobody is going to hold it against you..obviously the teacher knows of the situation and I won't be surprised if the teacher has made the call a couple of times him/herself....

I know this is going to be tough exactly because you're in the middle of a lesson you have choices:

1. don't take the sub job because of the girl and wait until next year and sub in other classes

2. take the sub job and know that the girl is going to be difficult and brace yourself to make that call if you have to

3. have you talked to the teacher about having the parent(s) come in and observe the girl so they can "fix" the problem?

4. what about having her sit in your lap and be your "reading partner"--someone to hold the page or book up (you know---teacher's pet??!!!)
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

MsRLuvs2Teach

tough situation...
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did my student teaching in K and my master teacher had a small rug where a student like the one you described would sit. He sat on the "special rug" next to the teacher and that worked well. Also, maybe pick a student to be her friend. If she has a close friend in the class, maybe you could have them work on something together when she gets really disruptive. One last thing that I do, when a student is really disruptive and needs to be moved, I tell them they have 10 seconds to move. Nine times out of the ten, by the time I get to 1, they move. I don't know why...I guess the counting down is suspenseful.

MsRLuvs2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

digits

I subbed in a third grade class ...
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that had a girl that sounded like this ... She was quite disruptive to the rest of the class. I kept her with me or away from the group most of the time.
digits is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

make the call
Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

if you never make the call she won't believe what the consequences will be since she's never experienced them. Take away recess as well. People may think that she is too young to understand, but she probably is not. There should be some sort of warning system in the room. Do you have the green, yellow, and red cards? Some schools use the blue cards - if you get to blue then you leave the room - either to another teacher or you are sent home for the day. They should each have a spot that they are to sit on - treat her just like the rest of the class.

I myself do not ever treat one person much different than the next. I think you have made a mistake in "bonding" with her. She has parents for cuddling. I would say something like, "I can no longer give you special attention all the time" "If you get hurt I will help you, and if you need help with your work I will help you, but you cannot hang your body all over me anymore." Then when she does back off and sit on her spot with the rest of the class, smile at her. Give the class a reward because everyone is "on their spots" at the rug. She may succumb to peer pressure.

Good luck

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
gsttchr

gsttchr

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for all the feedback. I think I need to use all resources available including calling the office. I just didn't want to be the sub who couldn't handle it on her own. Now I see it's necissary.

I should clarify that since I've subbed a number of times and will continur to in this class, that I try to bond with all the children at different points throughout the day. I don't mean by letting them hang on me, but by giving my undivided attention for a few minutes. Usually during choice time or when I drop them off for lunch.

It seems this age needs immediate reward and consequence. I will go in next time prepared to deliver!!
subczy

subczy

this is what I would do...
Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i would give her a specific place to sit during story time such as on a rug square, etc. I would explain to her (in her language) quietly that if she gets up from that spot or speaks w/o raising her hand she will get in trouble - whatever the classroom consequences are, card change, sitting out durign recess, etc. I would also give her two popcicle sticks and tell her she can use those to visit w/ you at yoru desk for 1 min each. When the sticks are gone she has to stay in her seat. When she comes up set a timer that dings and make her stick to that. let her know she can visit w/ you during recess (if you ahve duty) or while you wait at pick up time. That now is school time.

Find what works. If you can help her in this area you will be doing her a great service for next year when the opportunity to fall behind only grows greater.

Good luck!