landforms - ProTeacher Community

CL

landforms
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In social studies we are learning about landforms. Mountians, plains, valleys, deserts, as well as different bodies of water. I would like to do something creative with this to really help the kids remember them, but I can't think of any good ideas. What does everyone else do?

CL is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach77

landform project
Old 09-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm doing a landforms unit with my 3rd grade social studies class right now too. I sent home a "landform project" for them to complete for an at home project. In short they had to choose a landform (one that we've been studying), research it through trade books or online, and create some sort of way to present to the class. I listed several suggestions on the letter I sent home. They also had to include 5 interesting facts about their landform in their presentation. I can attach the letter I sent home and the grading standards I came up with tomorrow when I get to school if you'd like to have them. Just let me know.

Deb
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

lah125

landforms
Old 09-15-2006, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had the students broken up into small groups and each group made a different landform out of clay--and the water if necessary. Each group then presented and the landforms were on display for a few days. They seemed to enjoy this. Could be extended by having the group do a very brief paragraph about their landform. ex. Our group made a river. It is water shaped like a ribbon with land on both sides.
lah125 is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

watercolors
Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had my 2nd graders take a 12x18 piece of oak tag. They drew(outlined) all of the landforms in crayons but didn't color it in. then they took watercolors and painted in all the areas. I gave them each a sheet that had all the names of the landforms on it. they cut out and labeled their landforms. The pictures were very creative and pretty. made a nice bulletin board.
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

renkathebrave

Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi!

I had each kid bring in a baggie of thick salt dough. They formed a landform on a small dessert paper plate. After they dried, they painted them with tempera paint. Each student then wrote at least 3 facts about their landform on 3x5" cards, and presented them to a class of first graders. The first graders went from student to student for about 15 minutes. I had them practice their speeches with eachother, so they learned about all kinds of landforms. They LOVED this activity!

renkathebrave is offline   Reply With Quote

sparklinteach

landform dance
Old 09-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class does the landform dance. I call out a landform (river, lake, mountain, valley, and plains) and the students have to do the movement that goes along with it. For example, when I call out "river", the students will put their hands together and wiggle their hands like a snake to show how windy a river may be. For a mountain, the students make the mountain tops with their hands. I wish that I could show you so that you might understand a little better. The landform dance is kind of played like charades. You can make up your own movement to represent the landform and have them copy it.
sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KarenE

landforms
Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am interested in the letter you send home about the landforms project and the grading standards you have. Can you e-mail them to me at
kschweitzer@d181.org

Thanks, KarenE
KarenE is offline   Reply With Quote