Teaching Reading Sourcebook 2nd Edition - ProTeacher Community

vern250

Teaching Reading Sourcebook 2nd Edition
Old 10-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
Has anyone ever read the book, Teaching Reading Sourcebook the 2nd Edition? I am thinking about purchasing the book, but I don't want it to be another book that I buy and am disappointed in.
I am looking for a good resource book to help me understand HOW students learn to read. I am a recent graduate from college, this is my third year of teaching and I still struggle with how exactly do I help the struggling readers.

thanks

vern250 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Great resource
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the book, in fact just updated to the 2nd edition. I love the book and still use it. The book gives a really good outline of reading skills and why they are important. It even give ideas on what to do with each skill. They have another book called Assessing Reading which shows you how to test their reading skills and then you teach them from there. I use the tests to give me a snapshot of the student. CORE is the publisher and they have quality research used in the books.
The only other book I have is Multisensory Teaching of Basic Language, it's a textbook but it's been another book on reading that has helped me. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Teaching Reading Sourcebook, I've reccomended it to many teacher.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote