envision vs. everyday math - ProTeacher Community

amyspa

envision vs. everyday math
Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 2nd grade and my district is looking to change our current math program from Investigations to either enVision or everday math. Any thoughts or comments on these programs would help!!

amyspa is offline   Reply With Quote

AJ

Old 10-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We changed from Investigations to envision two years ago. Most of the teachers at my building REALLY do nor care for enVision at all. There are no open-ended lesson or constructive thinking. This could have been my textbook 25 years ago. The center activities or games are really bad. There is a lot of prep to make them and they are not long-standing or very interesting for the kids. The visual learning bridges are not very helpful either. These are some of things that the program boasts about. Also, they claim to have differentiated lessons and Homework. Even the enrichment or so-called high level activities are easy in comparison to what the kids were able to do with Investigations.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote

teach8060

Em
Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is the 6th year we have been using Everyday Math in Preschool through 6th. Our test scores have gone up each year. We actually had students get perfect scores on their 8th grade tests - and they had 4 years of Everyday Math behind them.
teach8060 is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with you, AJ. We moved from Investigations to envisions and I'm very disappointed. I don't even try to use the center games anymore. I find that there is next to nothing for enrichment. I'm finding other things to use outside of envisions. When I can, I incorporate some of the Investigations activities. I wish we'd adopted the new Investigations instead. (BTW, I teach second grade)
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin2

Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've been using Everyday Math for many years now and our test scores continue to rise each year. We also had many kids score perfect scores on the state test.

pmpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hollyhocks

Everyday Math
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school went to Everyday Math several years ago and I have found my fifth graders much less prepared than when other resources were used-such as Addison Wesley-Scott Foresman. Students do not have adequate practice to master much of anything and the spiraling they profess is not satisfactory. Students learn various algorithms and get to fifth grade fumbling them all. When I told my parents at Curriculum Night that I heavily supplement Everyday Math with another resource, they cheered!
hollyhocks is offline   Reply With Quote

jchong

good and bad
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 4th grade and our school is using envision this year for the first time. I do believe that the curriculum is good in theory. There are good resources such as the games and manipulatives and it's great that most things are accessible online. Students can take tests that teachers post online at home. Depending on their score, they are led to reteaching or enrichment activities. Then they have the option of retaking the test. This is assuming that students have a computer or internet access at home. It would take too much time to take during class time, especially if the computer lab is not scheduled during your regular math time. I agree with the previous post that the center games take too much time to set up but I have my students change them for me every 2 or 3 days. The bridge activity and teacher modeling do not always sync up. Some students get confused about their connection. Basically, I like the envision program but not all components are practical. As for everyday counts calendar math, I think it's great because students get to practice a concept for the whole month. I found this helped my fifth grade students last year remember factors, prime and composite numbers. However, it is very time consuming. I chose the activities that I thought were important and necessary. Before I figured it out, I spent 30 minutes of valuable math time on calendar math.
jchong is offline   Reply With Quote