Making Connections - ProTeacher Community

IMSaved2

Making Connections
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are in the process of making a bulletin board for making connections (text to self, etc.). Does anyone have a list of books and questions that are used for each of the types of connections? Any other ideas are welcome.

IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

maryteach

Any quality piece of literature
Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

should do what you need. Rather than fit the lesson to the books, fit the books to the lesson. Since I'm sure you read lots of good stuff with your kids every day anyway, just use what you guys enjoy. What are you reading in reading groups right now? What are you doing in the way of a read-aloud? I bet that would work. I don't think that what you've come up with is a separate lesson at all, but is actually a wonderful way to to show the kids that all good books address at least one aspect of self to self, world, text......

I like the bulletin board idea for this. How will you set it up?

imalith

kids response
Old 09-18-2006, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was thinking that you could sort the connections, text to self, and text to text connections. Then ask students to choose either and make a connection with their current reading selection. I'm not sure of the grade level you have so, you can adapt this for grade levels. With young students you could give a prompt, such as:

Making Connections
Text to text:

My book entitled (blank) reminds me about book entitled (blank) because...

Text to self:

My book connects with my life because...

When they are finished they could publish it on sentence strips or nice paper. After making a Connections title you could define text to self and text to text and sort the student work accordingly.

Mary is quite right. Any book will work.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

Jaime-2

A few ideas
Old 09-19-2006, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always start with Text to self:
Kola Lou (Mem Fox)
When the relatives came (Cynthia Rylant)
Hazel's Amazing Mother

Then I move on to text to text
Julius Baby of the world by Kevin Henkes (will connect to Kola Lou)
and then use other Kevin Henkes books and do a bit of an author study as well

Finally Text to World
Fly Away Home (Eve Bunting)
The Wednesday Surprise (eve Bunting)
Jin Woo (Eve Bunting)
Train to Nowhere (Eve Bunting)

I use the following language

When I read the words _____ it reminded me of _______
When I the picture of _____ it reminded me of _____

I give children following definitions (or something like this- I can't quite remember what the poster on my wall says)

A text to self connection helps you better understand the character because you have been through it.

A text to text connection helps you make predictions about the text.

A text to world connection makes you think about huge problems in our world.

For text to self you need to find texts that your students will be able to connect to. For Text to text I would do an author study or find books with similar themes. For text to world Eve Bunting is amazing!

Hope this helps a little! My ideas are pretty much all from Debbie Miller's Book Reading With Meaning. If you do not have it is a must read for reading comp! It is also the most teacher friendly book I have ever read and was my reading bible for the first few years of teaching!
Jaime-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

nzkiwi

Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just finished searching for info. on books and questions that are used for making connections myself and found this great web site that lists some good questions and also prompts for making connections of all three kinds. It also has a couple links to other sites with additional information, including a couple with making connection posters.

The site address is:

http://www.itrc.ucf.edu/forpd/strategies/stratText.html

nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

jude

connections
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I make connections with my students all the time. No matter what we read, a connection can be made. It can be made in personal lives, in what's happening day to day, in books we've read, in shows we've watched, in current events, etc. I personally cannot read a chapter without remembering something that happened in my past and I always share it with my students. They especially like it when it was something that happened when I was there age. I have a lit circle connections sheet that I use at least twice while we read a novel. Sometimes we just share things orally.
jude is offline   Reply With Quote