Extended Reading Response - ProTeacher Community

Kat1019

Extended Reading Response
Old 10-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After looking over ISAT scores, we found out that not a single 5th grader in the district got a 5 on the reading extended response! So, I'm working on improving that in my classroom this year. Since what I was doing last year obviously wasn't working, I was wondering if anyone else had any insight, graphic organizers, sample responses, etc. to share.
Thank you!

Sam5

ISAT Extended Response
Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The highest score a student can get on the reading extended response on the ISAT test is 4. Hardly any students in Illinois ever earn a 4. I have been teaching fifth grade for 7 years and no student in our school has ever earned a 4 on the extended response. I am actually thrilled if any of my students even earn a 3. Most of my students earn 2s which is still considered passing. I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to get the kids to score better.

I have to say I have given up working too hard on this anymore. I am not happy about this, but we have had experts come to the professional development workshops and tell us they have no answers about how to teach our students better. Two of our presenters told us last year that the extended response portion of the test has little affect on the student's reading score so we should spend more time on helping our students do well on the multiplie choice section of the test and not worry so much time on the extended response part.

I did that this past year, and overall my students scored well on the reading test, and most of them did the same on the extended response section even though I did not work on it as hard. I did have my top reading group do reading response notebooks (where they wrote letters to me each week). I think that did help them score a little better on the extended response. However, they still only earned 3s.

If anyone else has some suggestions that they have found work, I would too love to hear them.

babyruth

Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel how I teach it works!We color code!
First, we do an extended response with almost all of our weekly stories. We start by doing it together and eventually my students do it on their own. A few times, I do it with the kids on a Th. and give the same prompt for them to do on their own on Fri. Then, I give the kids to write on Th and then they type on Fri. in color.

Intro Sentence (words from the prompt)
Authors words (The story states, In the story it says, etc)
Students words (From what I read, I can see, etc)

Connection to students life (at least 1)
Conclusion (wrap up - I have learned, Now I know, etc)

I have sentence starters displayed in my room.
PM me with questions!

kas327

This works... and it's easy!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids actually enjoy doing the extended response because we have so much fun with it. They seem to do pretty well (that is key!). I have given them an outline of how to start their sentences:

There are several reasons why... (echo answer the question)
I believe.... (interpretation)
In the text it states... (evidence)
This shows me... (interpretation)
In the text it states (evidence)
This shows me... (interpretation)
After reading (name of text) I realize... (author's purpose)

The students memorize the beginning of the sentences because we turn them into a song. I began with the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Then, I gave them time in class to come up with their own tune and share. By practicing this, it helps them remember what to write. I even had a group of boys last year that sang the words of the extended response to Livin' on a Prayer. It was absolutely HILARIOUS!
Teach3331

Teach3331

Fed ex co
Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use this to help out students remember

F Flip It (find key words int the question and use them in a sentence starter)

E Explain (the answer)

D Details, details, details (we ask for details three times because if we only ask once, you know what would happen)

EX Examples from text (Cite text to support answer)

CO Conclusion (wrap it up)

miss blu

Isat
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year was my first year teaching fifth grade and I had 4 students receive a 4 in reading. In writing, 64% of my class exceeded. All I can say is do not give up hope!!! It definitely is possible! I wasn't even sure what I was doing, but the only thing I know I did right was make them practice. My advice is to start early. Read those benchmark scores. It tells you exactly what they need help on, and give them an extended response practice question every week. By the time they get to ISATS it will be easy for them. Set high expectations and on the rubric only show them what they need to do to get a 4. Don't even bother showing them 3,2, or 1. Sometimes kids just do what they need to get by.

miss blu

for babyruth!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please send me more info on how you teach your extended response! I love what you wrote!! Also, what kinds of sentence starters do you use???
maria a.

maria a.

For babyruth!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Please post your sentence starters.

Disha971

Disha971

Sentence Starters
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Not sure if these are the same sentence starters the previous writer was talking about, but I have these posted.

Sentence Stems are as follows:

Examples from the text..
The author said.. In the story it says..., The text states..., The story says...
According to the text...

Examples from your life...

This reminds me of... I think... In my opinion... I believe... I feel...

smurf82478

isat grading
Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

From my many inservices and talks with teachers/people that work for the state, ERR is really only getting students to explain why they ansered a certain way. The highest you can get is a 4, but 2s are not passing according to the state, so not sure where the previous poster got their information. In our school we teach the students that they should restate the question as a statement so they are sure of what is being asked. Then they should find some textual references that would help them answer the question. The last part is then to explain how that text answers or helps them to answer the question. If that explanation includes a personal connection, great, if not it's not going to count against them.

we use some of the following prompts when first teaching them:

In the text is said...

This(meaning the quote) means that...

This answers the question because..

babyruth

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So Sorry it took me so long to reply...

Everything posted after me is what I have on display in my room. I printed in black on white paper, backed it on color like I posted before.

The color has helped sooooo much. I know tests are coming up, but keep the color in mind for next year. Our whole school does the same colors so doing it in 3rd, then 4th, then coming to me in 5th, they know it!
Omg!

Omg!

How?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Will you take an good extended response from a student or yourself and post it here for me to see? I AM REALLY CONFUSED!

Kim F

Kim F

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

# guest:
If you go to the ISBE website, you can see examples of extended responses, good and poor. They tell you what score the students received and the reasons why they received the score (what was good about them, what was lacking, etc.)

http://www.isbe.net/assessment/htmls/sample_books.htm

At the link on this page, click on one of the sample books for reading and the grade level you want to view. Then scroll down to find the page with the extended response questions. Hope that helps.