What to do with the rest of the class??? - ProTeacher Community

rehcaet

What to do with the rest of the class???
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So our district is really pushing RTI. We refer to it as enrichment. So my school set schedule is very broken up. In the afternoon I have: lunch-guided reading-enrichment-guided reading and then time to get ready for specials. So my BIG question is while I work with the small group of studnets on intervention strategies.....what is the rest of the class doing. So far I have done computer work, IDR, short writing. I just feel like it is work to keep them busy. Any ideas or what do you do during intervention time?

rehcaet is offline   Reply With Quote

kdtx

things I do
Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My other students are grouped into groups of 3 - 6 depending on what levels they are on. Each group is reading a booking according to their level. They read a chapter each day and then fill out a job worksheet that I got from a literature circles site. I am sorry that I don't remember which one. But the jobs include discussion leader, word detective, etc. I then meet with each of those groups for 10-15 minutes each day to see how they are coming along.

Other things they do: EducationCity (district pays for this). Watch a video on brainpop.com that has to do with what we are studying in science or social studies, practice spelling and handwriting. Read A.R. book and A.R. test. I try to make the center time meaningful practice of things we have been working on. I am going to begin having them complete their Mountain Math and Mountain Language during this time.
kdtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

How about centers?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 10 centers set up in my room-2 students at a center-this gives me about 15-20 minutes to work with specific kids-all of my centers are language arts based.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

reesespieces

Daily 5 or centers
Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you considered doing the daily 5? I highly recommend the book! I'm using it this year (a modified "daily 3" of Read to Self, Read to Someone, and Work on Writing) and it was been absolutely amazing so far! While I'm working with guided reading groups, the rest of the class can be completely independent. I would also recommend looking into "Guided Reading" by Fountas and Pinnell. They suggest doing a "work board" of centers.
reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

ShyMiss

Opal
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Opal,
I love your avatar!! I am reading it w/ coffee in hand on a dark, way too early Monday.

ShyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote

roseswriter

What to do with the other students
Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Gosh we must have the same wave length. I must have typed studnet a thousand times Seriously, I have developed my own style of work stations. Once I get the kids into the procedures, then I work with small groups or individual students. At times I make a packet of stations for them to do as they want, but they have to do them all. I got some of my ideas from hmthirdgradeteachers at yahoo groups. If you use houghton mifflin they have lots of things for each story. Or just do an internet search. I also have a lot of the evan-moor take it to your seat activities. Everything is practice, with some higher level activities included. With this year's group I have just gotten to the place where I can begin working on RTI.
roseswriter is offline   Reply With Quote

teachjam

Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mine finish any morning work that not completed or do sustained silent reading and take AR tests.
teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote