Help

ARCHIVE

castle theme

>

momfirst

castle theme
Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thinking of a future theme- Here are my thoughts related to a castle theme: can refer to class as "My ROYAL readers" , have a king/queen for the day (as the helper)- decorate outside of door like a castle entrance- set up reading area to look like a castle- OK- that's it my creative juices are gone- I need some major help. Any thoughts/suggestions, PHOTOS- has anyone done this type of theme for a yearly theme to keep up all year? I already searched the archives- not a whole lot there. Trying to think of other cool decoration possibilites-
Thanks
Leslie

momfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Melinda

Melinda

great idea!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have thought of doing a castle them when I get tired of my pirates theme. I will probably do pirates one more year since the 3rd movie comes out in late spring.

When we did a thematic unit on fairy tales a few years ago, my kids made a cardboard castle. This was a special ed. class so the group was only about 8 students. We collected various size cardboard boxes and painted them in blue and purple hues and glittered parts of them. When we were finished, our castle was about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It would have been cooler to make an actual crawl-in castle for a reading corner.

pinkjuice

Castles are AWESOME! :)
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a castle theme in my classroom this year. I have decorated around the room with large castle pillars, dragons, and I would really like to figure out a way to have a moat! I'm thinking some sort of carpet?

I have a Royal assistant, dragon's tail (line ender), gate keeper (door holder) and Castle Pages (helpers) as my jobs. My job chart consists of small gray castle towers labelled with jobs and bright colored knight shields with student names on them.

I have used a cute dragon that I found when searching on google images for dragon coloring book pages that I put on most of my classroom news - sort of like DIY letterhead.

I bought a very cute dragon rug and wall shelf/basket hanger from Ikea just this year. I also have some bright green good listening chairs that work well with the Castle colors.

Instead of a piece of paper with "Ms. D's Second Grade" peeking out the window to the public, I have a small green hill with a castle on top and a gorgeous paper (dragon of course!) with a welcome message.

I have frog prince bathroom passes and castle tower shaped reward charts (xeoroxed on different colors for different groups).

If you look at the stamp store you can usually find castle, sand castles, and frog prince stamps. I'm searching for a cute Puff the Magic Dragon style dragon stamp. I don't want anything too dark or scary.

As soon as I figure out what to write on them, I'm going to make large knight shields to hang from our cieling. I'm thinking of doing number words/pictures or perhaps our class rules.

I hope some of that helps. I worked hard to research things to go with my castle theme after I fell in love with my Ikea dragon rug! You can definitely do it, it just takes a bit of work.
pinkjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

momfirst

thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you- thank you - wonderful ideas!!!! PICTURES please please please!
Leslie
momfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms. Leal

Ms. Leal

Twinky Bell
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Every year I've chosen a theme for my classroom library and completely transform the area. This year I'll be making a castle complete with a door for the students to walk through. I'll be using lots of construction paper, paint, and some foam. I purchased many items at Ikea which really help with the theme (dragons, a treasure chest box). I'll be incorporating this "Magic Kingdom" theme throughout, including my welcoming board outside my class. I'll have a frog with a crown saying "Welcome to Mrs. _____ Kindergarten pad" On the door, "Look who's hopping in" with the student's name on frogs which we will be making on the first day of school. I always have the students make projects which add to the theme. That way it really becomes their class.