States of Matter - ProTeacher Community

love5th

States of Matter
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any cool lessons or activities about the states of matter?

love5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Nat

nat
Old 11-12-2005, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

do you have access to technology? check out this cool little site... for students to learn about the three...it's well done.

http://www.harcourtschool.com/activi...tes_of_matter/

there are tons of fun experiments to do in this unit...easy to find in google... I have a binder full, but none in my computer but lots of them came from the internet...

good luck! fun unit =o)
nat
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote

bamagirl

Make Jello
Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the past I have always made Jello when I was teaching the three states of matter. It starts as a solid (the powder). When you add the water the powder dissolves and it becomes a liquid. The water is so hot you can see the steam coming off it (a gas). Then, I poured the mixture in several ice cube trays to put in the refrigerator. I let the kids predict what would happen by the next time we looked at it. Later that afternoon or the next day, I would take the trays out of the refrigerator and the Jello has turned back into a solid. Pass out plates, scoop out of the ice trays, and enjoy!
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

States of matter
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a culmination to the unit, we do a "Whats-a-matter" party. We make rootbeer floats. The ice cream is the solid, the rootbeer is the liquid and the carbonation in the rootbeer is the gas. The kids love it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

nuhusker98

Magic Wands
Old 11-15-2005, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use magic wands (5th grade) to show the states of matter. At the local pet store they sell clear plastic tubing that I think is used for fish tanks. I buy a length of that and have my husband cut it into 8 inch sections. I take that part to school. Then I help students cool glue a cork into one end of it. Next, we put in some glitter and sparkly confetti. To that we add some water so that the tube is about 75% full. Then we cool glue another cork into the open end so that the tube is safely sealed...Voila, a magic wand that shows solids, liquids and gasses! It comes out looking really cool, and with Harry Potter coming out, most of my class was really psyched to make these!

nuhusker98 is offline   Reply With Quote

jrc

I was lucky enough to have something
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

delivered, packed in dry ice. I put a small piece into water. Voila! (As the previous poster said!) Solid to gas. You can also use ice cubes. Put the ice on a plate, in the sun. It melts, and eventually disappears.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote