daily 5 with a math twist - ProTeacher Community

Frenzied1stgr

daily 5 with a math twist
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone.
Which searching for daily 5 information, I came across a post about using the daily 5 in math. Does anyone have any comments or ideas where that is concerned? I currently use the daily 5 for literacy, and now would like to incorporate it with my math due to the varying ability levels of my students. By the way, I teach 1st grade and I think that teaching to smaller groups will help better with understanding. Any comments or ideas will be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Frenzied1stgr is offline   Reply With Quote

jlfogerty

There are a lot of posts about this
Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Through the grape vine, the sisters have mentioned that their next book will be on a type of Daily 5/Cafe for math.
There are a lot of posts and ideas about this on Proteacher/peony room. What I recommend you do is search for "PACE" (a cafe heading for math) and Daily 5 math, then bookmark the discussion threads when you find them. I know it's insane to search in proteacher, so good luck! I have learned to bookmark any discussions that are helpful to me, so I can refer to them again.

I am doing D5 math, but as I'm making much of it up as I go along it's not as seamless as my D5 reading.
jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

jl
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How long does your math time take? I only have about 45 min a day to spend on it. I could squeeze out an hour if I had to. I do have a wide range of ability this year and I'm feeling badly about the more advanced students.
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

jlfogerty

MMW, et all
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do Bridges math for 3rd grade. I spend 70 minutes on math every day. What I'm still having trouble with is simply the physical layout of my room. I started the year having a math rug and a literacy rug, but I ended up having to have rows facing the projection screen/whiteboard instead of having desks in groups.

I have a PACE menu: problem solving, accuracy, comprehension, expand math vocabulary. It is just too small, and is located on the wall under the whiteboard. SO, I'm trying to figure out how to use it more consistently and have it in a better spot. I'm flummoxed!

That said, I DO teach math in a workshop style. The kids (1/2 of my group this is year is very low) were too confused by the title "Daily 5 math" so I call it Math Workshop, with 5 choices:
  1. daily assignment (follows lesson of the day)
  2. facts practice with flashcards (I have 10 varied sets)
  3. Practice book (supports math program/3rd gr. level)
  4. Work places (Bridges centers)
  5. Daily Problem Solving

I put stars next to the ones that they HAVE to do that day, and not all choices happen every day. Workshop happens about 3 times a week.

Here's a PACE menu. I didn't make this, it is from a post in proteacher.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PACE Menu.doc (38.5 KB, 1108 views)
jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

pensieve

PACE menu
Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for sharing your PACE menu! I've started the year using the Daily 5 and CAFE for the first time and love it! I thought in the future I could work on incorporating the same process into my math. Thanks again for sharing!!

pensieve is offline   Reply With Quote

brittlelady

thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for posting the PACE menu.
brittlelady is offline   Reply With Quote

Frenzied1stgr

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for sharing your ideas, they are very helpful!
Frenzied1stgr is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

Developing Now...
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am putting together my Daily Math right now. I use Everyday Math and we are just about finished with the first unit, which is all review. So the next unit is where I see real differentiation among my class and where I want to work in small groups more.

My menu is not going to look like PACE, though. That seems to mirror CAFE more. Mine looks more like the choices on Daily 5. But I am not sure what I am going to call the board. Not sure if "daily" two time would be confusing? But maybe not.

My board is going to have four choices, three of them will be "math with someone" and one is "math by yourself". I grouped them games I teach into fact games, place value games and strategy games. Those will be the ones they play with a partner.

But I also wanted a menu of games that kids can play by themselves, if they finish their math journal or a conference with my early. So that will be listed under "math by myself."

I need to do some work on routines and taking out the math game materials by yourself and returning them, make an I chart, etc. We are going to do that this week. Up to know, math has been whole class everyday, but I feel like I know what kids need help and can see what kids group well together, so I am ready to jump in!
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

maestra2o

Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd love to see what your menu looks like when you get it up and running. I also do second grade EDM and am trying to implement some kind of a menu. Right now, my co-workers and I are looking at tweaking the PACE menu, but something doesn't quite feel right to me about it. I like your idea of posting the games on the menu into categories.

So, for example: if a kid's goal is to work on counting collections of coins under $1.00, what menu category would you include this under?

I like the idea of a menu to have kids' goals posted and evident and also, if I can figure out a way to get the "strategies" listed under each category to make sense, then they can know how to spend their choice time constructively.
maestra2o is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Math Daily 5 and Math CAFE
Old 10-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have two of everything: two CAFE boards, two pensieves, two word collectors, two pocket charts for Daily 5+1 . . . but I teach three grades (and at least 12 ability levels). My kids aren't confused - we have a Math cafe and a literacy cafe. That's just how they know their class.

My Math CAFE:

Comprehension:I understand the problem.
Application: I use what I know to solve different problems.
Facts: I know the basic math facts.
Expand and Explain:I know, find, and use math words to explain how I solve problems.

My Math CAFE menu is not as complete as it will be, and jlfogerty's PACE was a huge help.

My Math Daily 5+1:

Practice New Skill (usually an assignment from me)
Solve Word Problems
Practice Math Facts
Work With Shapes and Sizes (measurement, geometry)
Data, Logic, and Strategy Games

I have a pocket chart with the Daily at the top and under it, forming columns, are the activities I've taught them that they can/must choose.

For the games, I have many from Investigations and Scholastic's Shoebox Learning Centers ( http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wc...atalogId=10004 ), but I also have Guess Who?, Battleship, Connect Four, and other commercial games that will be "work."
Attached Files
File Type: doc The Mathematics CAFÉ Menu draft.doc (35.5 KB, 839 views)
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

msdw

EM & D5 Model
Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi, McD2! Have you figured out what your 4 choices are? Our Third Grade team is also wanting to start this week and are thinking:

Math Boxes
Math Games
Problem Solving
Projects

The Everyday Math journal page would be done with the teacher. I guess I have a lot of work to do before tomorrow! Yikes--I'm a little freaked, because I haven't taught many games yet. I am fascinated by your model and like the sound of it.Heelp!
msdw is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee3

How it is working...
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Though not as smooth as the Daily 5 and CAFE strategies have been going, my PACE and Math Choices has been working well. I have been using the PACE menu that I created in the summer (the one posted earlier), and it has been working with the kids well. I only have between 40 and 60 minutes a day for math and so it has taken a little longer to get things going. Just last week we worked our way into the Math Choices (they were getting a little confused with the term Daily 5 for math as well, so I changed it). The kids like having the workshop style and time to practice the skills they need extra practice in. We have got the practice work (based on the day`s lesson), flashcards and quick facts station, and the games (based on copncepts we are learning and have learned) going. This week I am introducing some of the pre-made math centres I have in my room. They really love the problem solving station that I have set up in the back of my room by the PACE board (estimating jar, problems of the day/week, and weekly challenges based on the concepts we are learning about). Just like the reading version, this math version takes time to get used to as well. Good luck everyone.
busybee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Sorry, bubsybee11!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You created the menu that I mistakenly attributed to jlfogerty. I used it to make my Math CAFE.

My kids haven't gotten up to the daily 10 - I worry it will feel overhwelming when they do. As it is, some of them have lost enough stamina that I'm getting those, "I'm finished all my work" comments.

Tomorrow, we talk about what you do when you finish the work you planned. . . . more work!
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote