help pleaseeee..first grade gifted teacher - ProTeacher Community

gifedteacher

gifedteacher

help pleaseeee..first grade gifted teacher
Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi second grade teachers!
I teach first grade gifted, and the curriculum is way to easy for them!! So, I have to pretty much make up my own lessons, ect.

Here is my question. Does anyone have a list of good read aloud s for the different comprehension skills (predicting, character traits, ect) and comprehension strategies (inferences, categorizing, etc)

I know you could pick any book, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out by suggesting books for each skill?

I am struggling this year trying to make up my own curriculum
any help would be reallllyyyyyy appreciated!!

alicat

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out this 2nd grade teacher's website:
http://www.mswinston.com/trifolds.html

She has popular chapter books that your gifted 1st graders could probably read & she has accompanying "trifolds" that go with the stories.

There's also this site that I had bookmarked on my computer: http://www.fcrta.net/PAGES/resources.html

And this site that teaches the kids about the strategies: http://reading.ecb.org/index.html
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

if you search on pt, there are several lists that other teachers have put together. Each list has the books broken into groups for which skills are addressed.
ms.gteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

bookwormteach

Look on the Sunflower Board
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for great resources such as book lists and mini-lessons for the areas you mentioned!

Have you tried lit circles? I have taught gifted second grade in the past and it works really well. My friend that teaches gifted first grade came and observed and then implemented literature circles in her class. They can do it and it is a great challenge for most.

On a different note, I was bombarded by trying to come up with different lessons for my gifted second graders (because it was a mixed class-not all were gifted) so my husband and I started a math website with interactive games. Many of the games would challenge your first graders: www.fuelthebrain.com

Google NC Math Stars and you should be able to find Math Stars. They have them for different grades and they are meant to challenge. PM me if you have trouble locating them and I will get the exact address for you.
bookwormteach is offline   Reply With Quote
gifedteacher1

gifedteacher1

Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help!!!