beginning, middle, end - ProTeacher Community

bookworm32

beginning, middle, end
Old 10-10-2009, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We all have to do a whole group 15 minute "mini lesson" on a second grade skill before we break into centers. I'm being observed next week and my mini lesson is on beginning, middle, end.
The first day I'm going to choose a book to read and afterwards discuss the b, m, e. Second day I will re-read the book and give each student three sticky notes and they have to draw a pic of the b, m, e. The third day (my observation day) I have a wksht with 3 out of order pics and they have to identify the b,m, e. Fourth day they will do a b,m,e graphic organizer on their basal story.
Any other suggestions I could do? Does anyone know of a good book that is easy to identify the b.m.g? Thanks!

bookworm32 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

maybe use a 3-page booklet
Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For writing workshop, we use 3-page booklets so that when they write their story has a b/m/e. One of the first lessons for this is to model what it looks like while thinking out loud. The steps I taught were:
-think of a story (think out loud something that happened to you, first, next and last)
-using a three page booklet, retell your story, and touch each page (which has a space at the top for sketching) as you tell what happened 1st, next, last.
-distribute booklets and have them turn and talk and tell what happened 1st, next, and last to a partner, and have them touch the pages as they tell their story.
-send them to their seats to sketch (pencil only) and write about what happened 1st, next, and last.

Hope this is helpful! If it needs to be about a particular book, you could do the same thing, having them retell the book across the 3 pages. The individual 3-page booklets could be available as a way to differentiate for the kids who get it right away and could move on.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just did a mini lesson on beginning, middle, and end and I used the book Chester's Way by Kevin Henkes. It has a very clear cut B/M/E that my second graders could really see.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergranma

Caps For Sale
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We read this book and then the children have a red cap and write the beginning, a yellow cap to write the middle on, and last a green cap to write the ending on. (Colors do not matter as long as each child uses the same color for each stage.) They glue the caps on the head of the little man in the order of beginning, middle and end.
teachergranma is offline   Reply With Quote

rosyjen

Bme
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just did a BME with Pete's a Pizza by William Steig. Fast read and funny book with a clear BME. I precut big pizza circles on white paper and divided the circle into 3 slices each for a BME. Students then wrote in the B in one slice, etc. Then, on the back of the circle thay colored their fave pizza and labeled at least 5 parts of the pizza - cheese - sauce, peppers, pepperoni, crust, etc. Some kids went crazy and made crazy pizzas, fun and hey - they labeled/wrote a lot b/c they wanted people to know the crazy stuff on their pizzas. Thought about making a class book or BB with them but they wanted to take them home to show them off ; )

good luck!

rosyjen is offline   Reply With Quote