Fidelity in Reading - ProTeacher Community

VeryVal

Fidelity in Reading
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What exactly does using the reading program with fidelity mean? Does it mean I must do every page in the teacher's book the way it is presented in the teacher's book? Does it also mean I should assign every worksheet, and do every activity suggested? Can I still implement some of my own activities in practicing the skills? Or would these have to be in addition to rather than instead of?
Also would using the reading program with fidelity mean we have to use the supplemental grammar book that came with it even though we already have a Language program that many of us like better?

cvt

fidelity
Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When my school was a Reading First school, we had to use the reading program with fidelity (or an equivalent of that word ).

The program was scripted, and the powers-that-be would come in and make sure we did exactly what the teacher's guide said and in the exact order. On Day 1 we would do such and such, on Day 2, such and such, etc. It was really ridiculous, because they treated us as if we were just factory workers instead of professionals.

We also had to use the same language (scripted), but that did not work with my little ELL darlings as they had no clue what I was telling them. One year they required us to use every page in the practice book, the next year they told us not to use the practice book at all. We also had to use the resource books exactly as written (ELL, special support, advanced, etc) but there was no time to use it all, so we conveniently misplaced them.

I don't know about your situation, but I would take the most important parts of the teacher guide, and then use your judgment to add your own stuff. You know your students best, and know what they need more. Language arts programs are geared toward the generic student, and I don't care how good they are, they cannot know what your students need.

SYD

You tell'um CVT
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why we expect to hire professionals and then give them a script to read is beyond me. Talk about a one size fits all approach. Teaching with fidelity means that a teacher doesn't have anything of quality to provide to a student besides what they are able to read out of a script. The very best reading program we can provide to students consists of acquiring quality professional development in research based methods of teaching reading.

beach27

yes!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Amen! You have said it all! I am currently teaching reading through a script and I hate it! I just want to be trusted and given the respect I feel I deserve.
suzanneloper

suzanneloper

Tired of Being Told What to Do & How to Do It
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love to teach reading but I hate teaching it with our current reading series. We are told to teach it to fidelity, read the script, and not to deviate from it. I agree with the teachers who are fed up with people telling them how to teach. We deserve to use our own personality, originality, and ideas to get the point across to our students.