ARCHIVE

pencils!

>

Love2nd

pencils!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

Quick question. I'm a first year teacher and I have tables in my room. I like the idea of community however I am finding that TONS of pencils are mysteriously missing every day and crayons are everywhere.

I want to get each child a pencil box or pencil bag, put their box of crayons in each, and two pencils. I want to hold them accountable for their things so that I don't go broke buying pencils!

Where can I find cheap pencil boxes/bags? I would LOVE to find them for a dollar or less. I have 23 kids.. and not much money.

OR does anyone have other ideas?
Thanks!

Love2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

sallen26

Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought school boxes from Walmart last year for 50 c each. I am using them again this year
after running them throught the dishwasher. I might have replaced 3 or 4, but that is all.
I give my kids 2 pencils in their box with their name printed on with a sharpee. I always know
who leaves pencils on the floor, table etc and who destroys them. I have big primary pencils
that some kids use. They don't break as easily. Some of my kids are not even ready for 24 crayons, so they are still using the box of 8 I gave themat the beginning of the year.
sallen26 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDNana

pencil boxes
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out your Walmart. I just bought 40 pencil boxes for 10 cents a piece. I should have bought 40 more but I couldn't get anymore in my cart and I had the grandbaby with me so didn't want to make another trip into the store! P.S. They were on clearance.
SDNana is offline   Reply With Quote

queenie78

walmart
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too bought them on clearance at Walmart. You should shop soon though....last year I needed to buy a couple mid year to replace some that broke & Walmart didn't have any. My store said that they only carried them at the beginning of the school year.
queenie78 is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH GIRL 1

Dollar Store
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have tables, too. Usually I found plastic boxes for a dollar at Walmart or Staples. The kids have cubby bins and would put their crayon boxes there and "fetch" them several times a day. T

his year I brought six photo boxes in 6 different colors for the tables The children were keeping the cardboard box of 24 crayons in the boxes, along with pencils and erasers. I loved the boxes but the crayons were a community pile and not working. I found tins that were a little bigger than the 24 crayon boxes for 39 cents in my local dollar store. They are adorable and working so nicely! Post if you live in New Jersey and I'll let you know which one.

TEACH GIRL 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just had parents buy them for their kids. I found that they are more likely to take care of something that they help pick out.
ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

abc123fun

love my tables!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a community caddy in the center of each table-from really good stuff-1 compartment on one side and 3 on the other-the children have their pencils,crayons, scissors, glue sticks and colored pencils in these. They are great with it. I have table captains (which change every week) who are responsible for making sure their table has what it needs. I have a cup of sharpened pencils and a basket of pencils to be sharpened-only I use the sharpener. The children each have a cloth chair pocket that they keep their work folders/personal word journals and laminated 100's grids in. I absolutely LOVE my tables!
abc123fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Rookiewriters

Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

To help with the pencil thing, I too have tables and at the end of each table I have attached half of a water bottle with velcro. This helps to keep pencils, scissors, glue sticks etc from rolling onto the floor and keeps when they're out and being used. As for keeping all of their supplies organized have the parents buy school boxes for their kids....not you....I would think that would be on the schools supply list????? Don't make yourself go broke buying all of these things....hey, if you need to use a gallon zip lock bag to hold their supplies, cheap and easy!
Rookiewriters is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2nd

Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas! Unfortunately my school does not send out a school supply list so the kids didn't come in with much. I would have LOVED if each child came with a pencil box. Unfortunately about 4 did out of 23.
Love2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

mahtani1215

Shoebox
Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have each kid bring a shoe box (preferably child sized and covered with paper) to school. Then, put out art supplies ( stickers etc.) and let the kids make designs on it. You can also have them design it at home with their parents.They are pretty eager to keep their things in their new pencil boxes.

Last edited by mahtani1215; 10-15-2009 at 05:08 PM..
mahtani1215 is offline   Reply With Quote