Literacy Center Accountability - ProTeacher Community

RockinTeach01

Literacy Center Accountability
Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

While I am working with my guiding reading group my other students are rotating with literacy centers. When my students are done I have them put it in the basket to turn in. I check them all daily to see how they did. My question to all you is, how do you record these in your grade book or do you even record them? I have been just giving them a completion grade for the week; 5/5, 4/5, 3/5, etc.... Do any of you take each individual center as a grade? Just curious what others do

RockinTeach01 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanine1111

Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not count my centers as grades. At my school, their reading level determines the grades that they get on their report card. I just use the sheets for the centers to let me know what my students are still having problems with.
jeanine1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

jhwkr

Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't use them as grades either. I look it over to see how they did and give them feedback, but my intention is for centers to be practice. I check off for completion grades then use this info on the grade card for behaviors - like work completion...
jhwkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Literacy Centers
Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I take several of my centers as 4th grade weekly classwork grades. Some weeks there is a grade (worksheet or project) and other times I do not take a grade (board games). I try to create the activities to be easy to grade with a key or rubric. The centers have different completion dates, so I am not grading everything at the end of the week. When they complete a center, they place it in the designated 9 x12 laminated envelope and move on to the next assignment making sure to have them completed by the due date. If Grammar is due on Wed. all I grade is grammar that day. I usually have them do 5 center assignments in addition to guided reading each week.

*I have a reference center where they use a variety of reference books (atlas, encyclopedia, thesuarus, dictionary, almanac)to locate answers to 10 questions in media center.
*Spelling activities 4 activities (25 points each) due
*Grammar practice - worksheets, mazes, or board games-groups of 2-3
*Reading passages, worksheet, board games, or creative activity (create comic strips, graphic organizer, cut and paste, ) that reinforce the skill for the week we are doing in guided reading groups.
*Mountain Language
*Vocabulary-Wordly Wise Review Lesson sheet, or create vocabulary study cards
* WebQuest or word processing assignment in the computer lab
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

digiscrapper

how does the flow work?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in the process of putting together literacy centers. I am so excited to start to use them in the beginning of the 2nd quarter. I have used centers before, but I'm not usually happy with the flow of the room.
I usually break the kids up into their "center groups". They each go to one center a day and complete the center work there. I am considered a center and that is where I work with my small reading group. The problem I find is some of the kids finish their center work before others in their group and I end up giving them busy work because I don't want them to move to another center since another group is there.
Do you have groups or does each individual student have the opportunity to go to any center they want? I am very interested to see how everyone manages their center.
Thanks in advance!

digiscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

jhwkr

Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

digiscrapper- I don't keep my kids in groups, they complete the assignments at their own pace. Every week I give each student a "Literacy Block Record Sheet" that lists all the work they need to complete and extra stuff they can do if they have time. As they complete an assignment, they initial it. The sheet is kept in their Reading Folder during the week. Weekly "Must Dos" sheets are turned in the day they finish it so that I can keep up with grading. If the station has a record sheet, then they put it in their Reading Folder with the recording sheet. After reading on Friday, they staple all the station recording sheets to the back of the Literacy Block Record Sheet and turn it in. (For me, it's easier to compare what they checked off with their record sheet and the record sheets don't really take much time to check.) The "Must-Dos DAILY" (word sorts are part of Words Their Way) should have initials in every box by Friday. "Must-Dos WEEKLY" are done one activity a day, so there should be initials in one box per row. "Literacy Stations" are done when they finish all the Must-Dos, they should have one initial per row. Then the "Choices" are for students that are finished with all their work. I don't require any initials in these boxes.
Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: doc LiteracyBlockRecord.doc (47.0 KB, 408 views)
jhwkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

digiscrapper
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not assign centers. I have something assigned and due each day. When they finish they move at their own pace to complete other center assignments. Only six can go to the media center or lab each day, so that time is scheduled. (six per center for twenty minutes) I can get four groups to the media center or lab each day if needed. They work on something else until the group returns and their group goes.
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

the recreator

literacy centers
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This year I am doing something a little different with my class than I did last year (I have the same group of kids again in 3rd grade so I KNOW they know all of the comprehension strategies and how they work) I do 4 centers - Tuesday through Thursday. 1. Reading Skill- this changes based on what comprehension strategy we are working on- this week they had a book of riddle poems that they made inferences about 2. Language Skill- can be any kind of writing/language arts activity- normally i do RAFT because my kids are super creative and like the flexibilty to pick their role in the writing, but it can be anything grammar/la related 3. Fluency- students get reading passages and time how many words they can get in a minute. they record it on a graph taking out the words that they missed (their partner does a running record on their reading) 4. library/silent reading Each center has an early finisher activity that they can do- Most of the time they just finish their center and do a little of the early finisher activity. Each group goes to one center a day. On Mondays I do a read aloud and they do some kind of reading response. As for grading- yes I grade their writing for the conventions or organization, I grade the reading skill for using comprehension strategies and I use their fluency for documention to help support their DRA.
the recreator is offline   Reply With Quote