ARCHIVE

3rd grade homework ideas

>

trooney

trooney

3rd grade homework ideas
Old 11-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for homework ideas for 3rd grade. Mostly in spelling, math & reading.

Right now the kiddos read 20 min. a night, usually write spelling words 2x each, usually math 2x a week - practice worksheets from that day.

It's getting a little mundane (and maybe that's okay!) and I just wondered if anyone had some ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

hescollin

read, Read, READ!!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Read a book 15 - 20 minutes a night. Practice ---memorize multiplication facts. We give Mad Minutes each day. A sticker on the sticker chart if they improve by one and a gumball from the gumball machine when the chart is full. Reminder to practice their spelling words for test on Thursday ---if they get them correct they get free reading time during the test on Friday. We have Book It ---free Pizza from Pizza Hut and AR.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote
doll

doll

3rd grade Homework
Old 11-12-2005, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

offer them a choice of 10 or 15 spelling activities as a contract...ABC order, scramble, word search etc. I just tell them they need 4 contracts by Friday. This let's them feel as if they have a choice in their homework.
trooney

trooney

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the tips - I've been considering a spelling contract and this gave me some good ideas. Any more for math?
Jess

Jess

Homework
Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do a homework contract. It's at school but it has things like

Read 15 minutes and tell a family member the beginning, middle, and end.

Read 15 minutes and tell a family member the problem the character is facing.

Math:

Roll a dice and multiply the numbers together. Do this ten times.

Practice multiplication facts on aplusmath.com for 15 minutes.

Spelling:

Type your words on the computer.

Write them three times each in ABC order.

I take the parent's initials for two points for each item completed. I know some may lie but the parents are only hurting the student if they do. This is third grade so many don't lie.

Mindy

Mindy

Contracts
Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a spelling contract with my kids (I also teach third grade). They love it because it gives them the choice of what they can do. I give them 6 options worth 20 points, 7 options worth 25 points, 4 for 30 and 3 for 35. THey need to do 90-100 points to get an A 80-90 for a B, and 70-80 for a C. It's easy to grade also because they check what they do, add it up and staple the contract to their work. I give them until Friday to turn it in. Hope this helps.
trooney

trooney

I like the points
Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for including the points that you give. I think that is what was stumping me, just how to manage it. Thanks!!
Carrie.L

Carrie.L

Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think these ideas are amazing. I'm switching from 1st grade to third so I was looking for a more advanced way to do spelling. Thanks.
32rosie

32rosie

3rd grade home ideas
Old 10-08-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I home school my children, two in 3rd grade and one in seventh grade.For my younger kids I have them write a journal entry every night and try to have them use a spelling word in their entry.I also have them learn not only the spelling of a word but the definition also.I make a flip book to help the study.For math I get worksheets from a wonderful site called superkids.com
Reading I have them read 30 minutes every day and 15 minutes on the weekend.If anyone needs seventh grade ideas contact me at 32rosie@comcast.net or just post a reply
travis

travis

miss
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

your kids home work is crazy yall is idk