Help

ARCHIVE

Pregnant and student teaching!!!

>

lboburka

Pregnant and student teaching!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well let me begin by saying I am an older college student who has been married for a little over a year. I just found out that I am pregnant and am freaking out about student teaching next semester. I am due in late June, and only teach until second week of May. I really don't want to tell anyone right now, because I can still miscarry.. but sooner or later I am going to have to tell them. Do you think I should wait until I start student teaching so the school/and my college cannot kick me out? I feel awful for my mentor teacher because she had so much faith in me and I feel like I will disappoint her with telling her I am pregnant. What is the best advice? Should I tell, who should I tell? Does this look awful. What would you do if you student teacher told you they were pregnant?

I wanted to throw up the other day when she was bragging about me in front of other colleagues the other day... she had no clue that I am preggo, and this perfect person she speaks of is going to tell her she is pregnant soon.

Thoughts..opinions? I don't want to hear that I am irresponsible either, no negative comments please. My DH and I did not plan for this and it was a major shock to us, but we are more than excited!

lboburka is offline   Reply With Quote

TcherGurl528

Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

#1: Congrats!!! Try to enjoy this incredibly happy time and don't stress so much. Life has a way of surprising us, and working out for the best, so relax and enjoy. That being said...

First of all, it's against the law for anyone to kick you out of school or student teaching because you're pregnant (discrimination).

Second, I don't really see why you won't be able to complete your commitment. While in school, I had a friend who discovered she was pregnant and had to student teach. She didn't tell anyone until she was past the 3 month mark, and finished student teaching in May, and had the baby in July. So it can work out.

Something to keep in mind is if you are able to complete your responsibilities. I had a student teacher in my school who was pregnant and had a really rough time with morning sickness, and missed quite a few days b/c of it. With that in mind, she ended up dropping out and choosing to redo her student teaching so that she would be able to complete her requirements. So just be on top of that.
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

pregnant
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know you are probably really stressed, but being pregnant while student teaching is not an issue. I'm not saying it will be easy, but I've known several young ladies who have done it and been just fine. It could be a huge advantage. You will have your baby, then you will be ready to accept a position. Better than getting pregnant your first year of teaching! Just stay focused, do your job, and enjoy!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

tpateacher

congrats!!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Please do not spend another minute stressing about how this will look to anyone else. Your mentor teacher will probably be happy for you! Sure it will be hard, but you can still be a fantastic teacher. Many student teachers have been pregnant before and made it through. I'm confused about why you would think your college would kick you out though.
tpateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lboburka

I mean with laws and everything....
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sure it won't happen but they stress professionalism and making our college look great and I could just see them being embarrassed. I am a hard working student and my professors know it I am just so worried that they may think that I should wait to student teach.

Thanks for the replies, everyone is sure making me feel better! I am a very healthy girl who takes care of her body, so hopefully I won't have too many issues that come up during my pregnancy!

lboburka is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

I don't understand
Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the problem? I had 2 children when I student taught. Why would it matter if you were pregnant when you were student teaching? You are married. Even if you weren't, I don't think it really matters. Being pregnant has nothing to do with your ability as a teacher.
Mrs. Hos is online now   Reply With Quote

suzyscq1

Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

when i was student teaching, one of my married friends got pregnant in August, and did student teaching beginning in Jan. She was at first afraid to tell her professors, but they were understanding, and it is against discrimination to remove her. She wound up with classes that were great to her being pregnant. They all were understanding, and helped her out. The kids would do estimation projects in math with measuring her belly, etc. We stopped student teaching on a Friday (by this point, she was already dialiated 1cm) and then she had the baby by Monday. It was great, so don't be worried, just be open and honest, and enjoy the experience. Congratulations on your being pregnant!!
suzyscq1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybug71

Congrats!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't stress... it will be fine... just make sure you try to stay on top of things. Congrats and BE HAPPY!
ladybug71 is offline   Reply With Quote

edistonian

Keep going!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don't be afraid to tell them you are pregnant. It is totally fine to still teach and be pregnant. Teachers do it all the time and you will be no different. Just be glad the baby is not due before you finish student teaching. You are this close -finish girl!
edistonian is offline   Reply With Quote

kbbteacher

Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I found out I was pregnant two months before I started student teaching. However, I was not married and I was only 22. So, I felt like I didn't want anyone to know because I didn't want judgements. I really only ended up telling my cooperating teacher and the special ed teacher who also worked in our room. They were both very happy for me and very supportive. I know people at school quickly guessed I was pregnant but everyone was very respectful. I did my student teaching well and made it all the way through and had my beautiful daughter a month after I was done! You are NOT irresponsible and I think people will only be very happy for you. Being pregnant will not affect how you teach, you are a good teacher no matter if you are pregnant or not!

PS- After I had my daughter it was nice because I stayed home with her (she was born in Feb.) from Feb-Sept and then subbed here and there when I could. It gave me a lot of freedom to spend time with her in those really early months and I loved it. I got my permanent job when she was 2 1/2 and it worked out really well.

Good luck to you!
kbbteacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Ms. Luv2teac

Ms. Luv2teac

I did it and you can too!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Most people really are supportive when you are pregnant. I found out in April of '01 that I was pregnant with my daughter and I was scheduled to complete my student teaching that fall. Needless to say I had many obstacles to overcome (found out I had a tear in the placenta at 4 months, we had a tornado hit our house/neighborhood at 8 months, and with all the stress my blood pressure went sky high for the rest of my pregnancy) but I did it even with an 20 month old little one running around too. Yes it was harder at times but it will be well worth it when you have completed your schooling and then you can take time to spend with your new baby. I graduated 14 days before my daughter was born. I was able to stay home with her and my son and had an amazing time knowing that my schooling was done and completed. Believe in yourself!!! You can do this!!!

I would definitely let them know that your pregnant. When you tell them is up to you. See how you feel and then when you feel ready let them know. I can't imagine them having an issue with you starting a family while you are finishing your education. That's quite an accomplishment!