My class will not stop talking! - ProTeacher Community

rubyanne

My class will not stop talking!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I promised myself I would use logical consequences but it isn't working. I have my students take a break from the activity, I have had them loose choice time, I even call parents. They are still talking when I am teaching or another student is sharing. I have little buckets for tables to earn pom poms to have lunch with me and I have a big class one too. I have read several books such as Have You Filled Your Bucket Today and I have class meetings and model the right way to behave. What else can I do? They are also getting really mean and sticking out their tongues at each other and bickering.

rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

phantomteach

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have days/weeks like that! Maybe it's the change in the weather or something! Maybe drink an extra large cup of coffee in the morning, that helps me!! (sorry I'm not much help!
phantomteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MaestraM

role playing?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you tried role playing?

How about giving incentives to those that are good?
MaestraM is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like it's each individual student, so I don't know if this will help. When my class gets really outrageous, I whip out my timer. i wear i around my neck. I set it for the amount of time we have for recess. When students are interrupting or talking when I'm talking, I stop and touch my pointer finger to my nose. Students are given a moment to stop. They respond by putting a finger on their noses. If they don't stop, I start the countdown feature of my timer so they lose recess minutes. When students hear the beep, they tend to stop. Also, the students who are behaving will tell the others to be quiet. Overall, they usually lose a few seconds of recess, but they don't have much of a concept of time, so they don't realize it! Also, if they are really paying attention, I add time to the timer (usually 10 seconds! They hear the beeping of the timer and get excited).

I tell my students that if they are playing/talking when they are supposed to be learning, then they have to learn when they are supposed to be playing!

If you can't reduce their recess time, plan to allow free choice time at the end of the day. Take that time away from them.

Remember to go over your class rules multiple times a day - when you start the day before ANYTHING else, when you return to the room from recess/lunch, etc. Give examples of each rule. When a student has to sit out, don't just let them sit there, make them PRACTICE the rule. If they are shouting out, you can stand there and ask them questions (what's your favorite color, food, game, etc). Have them practice waiting to respond to you. If they need practice showing respect in class, give them scenarios they have to rate w/ a thumb up/down to show if it is respectful or not. If you don't have time for that, just have them sit there and practice reciting the rules. This is all from Power Teaching/Whole Brain Teaching. IT WORKS!!

Good luck! I've noticed that students seem to get excited around Halloween, and then they can calm down a bit when it's over. I hope that's the case for you!!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks. I do use Power Teaching rules in my class. I have been lax on reciting them. I do need to have students practice rules instead of just sitting out. My aide usually sits with the ones that loose recess time but I will trade with her and and have those students model behavior. I used the timer thing last year and it worked. Thanks for reminding me!

rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

ladykeke20

Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think that is the kindergartners in general, they just seem to have so much to talk about. I think they are as bit too young for me though, because I get frustrated alot. I taught 1st grade, then 2nd grade, now kindergarten. Went two steps back. Wont be with this grade too long.
ladykeke20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.lsprague

You are not alone.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your explanation of your class sounds identical to my class. I guess the good thing is, neither of us are the only ones experiencing all the talking and unkindness for lack of a better word. The bad part is, we have to do something about it. I too have been searching and reading all week to figure out what to do. I am still at a loss. No matter what I say or do it doesn't seem to click with them. I do not want to yell or get really mean but some days I wonder if I am going to have to. We cannot see to get anything done. I feel like the ones who are listening and doing a good job are being punished all the time for things they didn't even do or are a part of. I mean I tell them we are a team and that we have to work as a team but I also don't want the 'good' ones to start bossing others around to get them to be quite or pay attention because then I am just back where I started.

Hopefully someone has some more tips for us. Hang in there, and I will remind myself of that too. The good news is that it's Friday bad news is, if you are like me you probably won't be able to stop thinking about it all weekend.
mrs.lsprague is offline   Reply With Quote

Geuda

No talking chair
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I have a time when I do want anyone to talk and they start talking. I just get up and say I guess I am going to have to get out a no talking chair. I go over get a chair and set it down. It gets them quiet. No one wants to have to set in it. I am not afraid to have several no talking chairs to get my lesson presented. It works for me.
Geuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Birdie Momma

Birdie Momma

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My daughter is in K. Her whole class "pulls strips" and a calendar is sent home every day on that tells her behavior (and also tells about school and class events). She has to color in the same color as the last strip she pulled for the day, so she knows and recognizes who she acted for the day. Purple = special, great day, blue = regular day with no behavior reminders, green = 1 reminder, etc. I can't remember after that but it's yellow and red I think. I have heard of stoplight pocket charts used if the whole class isn't behaving.

SwimmerGirl

Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's kindergarten! They are learning about other people, relationships, how to behave in social situations... they talk all the time! That's just who they are! Some classes are better than others, and I think it's a maturity thing.

Draw them in with fingerplays, keep it positive... they'll get it eventually (like when they're ready for first grade!) Have them sitting and quiet while you're teaching only for VERY short bits of time. Things have to keep moving fast in kindergarten!

That said, I have used a "rubber stamp on your hand" with some success.
SwimmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

icecreamlover

RE: My class won't stop talking
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I can empathize with you. A few things that seem to be working with my grade ones include tracking (on a class list on my clipboard) - a tally mark is written beside the child's name if he/she had to be spoken to for talking etc. Hands-on behaviour is taken very seriously and is automatically given two marks. At the end of the week they get some 'Free Literacy Friday' time. The students who did not have any tally marks all week get to choose activities first. This seems to be a good motivator. Also for students who got tallies - for every tally mark they sit out two minutes and have to do work i.e. printing practice. It really hits home when they see children involved in fun activities and they have to 'serve their time'. I always wrangle it so that even kids who had many tally marks will still get at least a couple of free time minutes so they can get a taste of what they're missing. As well, any children who have made good decisions all week (no tally marks) get a 'Good
Behaviour Note' sent home. Parents have been following up, celebrating with their kids. I really try to accentuate the positive and hope it will draw in those making poor decisions.
icecreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote