Fundations Reading - ProTeacher Community

ABC123

Fundations Reading
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use this program?

We were given the kits the week before school started. Most of what I am hearing is that the intervention teachers like it, but I haven't found much feedback from classroom teachers... especially in 3rd grade.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ABC123 is offline   Reply With Quote

2MuchFun

2nd year of Fundations
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I took 2 days of training last year. Watching the CD that came with my kit was the best thing I could do. It helped a lot. I thought it was okay last year- I had 5 students and a 45 minute block to teach it. I found it a little boring but the students liked it- especially the dry erase! My group last year did very well and I did notice some of it transferring into my classroom assignments. This year I'm not so sure.... I have 8 students (on 2 different levels so some are repeating 3 units) and only 30 minutes to try to squeeze it all in. We are told we must do a lesson a day and not run over to the next day. I have seen less success- I had to reteach my first 2 units and tomorrow am finally testing the 3rd one.. Our district has been using it for 5 or 6 years and they say they see an improvement....
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote

ABC123

Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the feedback 2MuchFun!

So does anyone in your school do it as a whole class? We are being told that we as classroom teachers have to do it with our whole class for 30 minutes a day. Then, when students get pulled out to go to intervention, they are "double dosed" with more Fundations.

First of all, setting up the lesson plans for this daily seems to be quite a pain with all the flipping back and forth in the book. I would have thought that with how scripted these lessons are supposed to be, that could have already been done.

Second, I'm concerned that after the newness wears off, my higher students are going to get bored.

I would still like to hear from anyone else who has an opinion on this program.

Thanks!

2MuchFun

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We only do it as small group interventions in our system. The BOE sends us a lesson plan template that we have to fill in each day. I think you can find the template on their website. I would be concerned about the higher students getting bored as well.....
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote

ITchGr2

Fundations is....
Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

as good as you make it. Our district implemented it in K-2 last year and then introduced it in third grade this year. Most of the teachers in my district are expressing the same concerns on this board. The planning is cumbersome, especially with the "flipping" back and forth. I don't know why the Wilson company didn't make the manual teacher friendly. I taught the program in 2nd last year and learned that after 30 minutes is up, you need to stop teaching. The lessons can last upwards of 40 minutes and who has the time? Do what you can, and do the best you can. The parents are upset that there is no spelling program, and I am not sure that it is the best word study program out there. The materials need a management program in itself. I think the appeal for districts is that everything comes "in one box." I think they also believe that all children can be successful with this program. My question is where does differentiation fit here?

ITchGr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ABC123

Differentiation...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ITechGr2... I agree with where does differentiation come in...

As far as spelliing goes, that's another problem with us. You see, we are not changing ANYTHING else... still have to do separate Spelling program, separate English, Basal for whole group reading instruction, AND five guided reading groups. AND we now have to add in separate half hour block for Fundations.

Oh, and don't forget Math, Social Studies, and Science... Not sure where the 1/2 hour is going to come from...

What do your 3rd grade teachers think of the program?
Patricia

Patricia

Teacher of grade 2, and formerly grade 1
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught Fundations to my first-graders (whole class/ 23 students) for 3 years. At first, I did so with much resistance, and not much enthusiasm. However, after my grade level team and I had prepared the entire year of lessons, I did so with more "ownership". I began to notice a certain confidence and carry-over into daily writing and reading. I also noticed that this was probably the most manageable time of the day. This year, I've moved up to grade 2, somewhat in order to "bring" Fundations to Grade 2. So far (1/4 year), I've been very pleased. Once again, it's the most manageable part of the day. The active, noisier students are engaged with the assorment of materials, and the weaker readers are proud to be called upon to showcase their attempts to build or to mark up words. Some of our schools are piloting the program in 3rd grades, and those who have been are reporting early success and nice consistency. They report that the program has been addressing the writing of kids who formerly had intrusive spelling errors which skewed their writing assessments. I'm happily convinced that the program has much more merit than I originally assessed. My advice is to give it a fair chance, and present every modality of learning. You may just be quite convinced that this is worthwhile and effective.

Guccibiggie

Boring
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I taught this in first grade two years ago and found that my students found it boring after a while. They certainly needed more of a challenge. However, it did seem to work well with struggling students.
Guccibiggie is offline   Reply With Quote