NOISY TALKATIVE Class - ProTeacher Community

benteach

NOISY TALKATIVE Class
Old 09-20-2006, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a class of 20 students - 11 girls 9 boys - with a mixture of
6 LEP (limited english profiency) students and 3 ADHD boys (2 on meds
- one was on meds last year - is not this year) - one boy who is very immature and a problem with classroom talking; two that become angry and either pout or shout out when redirected in behavior choices......both boys and girls
- in centers, at lunch, during whole group instruction and during
read aloud on the carpet....in line - every where even the PE teacher has said that they are LOUD.....what can I do? It is not even a case of blurt outs - it is just talking - versus doing any thing else. Oh I do have one student who follows all the rules and remains quiet and on task in spite of her classmates. This has only begun since after labor day -prior to that only 3 were having difficulty - two new students
(ADHD) were mainstreamed to classroom within last 3 weeks.
Suggestions would be appreciated - Thank you!

benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KteachOH

Whisper CLUB!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You need to teach your students to whisper! It works for me even in kindergarten when they don't understand what being quiet means....Talk to you students about what whispering is. Model whispering for them, by giving all instruction in a "whisper vioce" Walk around the room while the students are working and (in a soft whisper vioce) remind them that they need to be whispering.
When you do an activity put the word CLUB on the board, tell that that they are part of the whipser club. If the classes voices get too loud just simply erase the letter C off of the board. Tell them i'm sorry class you are not using your whisper voices. However many letters they have left give them a minute or point in a 'bank' on fridays let the student's use the minutes collected for a fun friday activity or an extra recess. Once they earn minutes don't take them away. Let us know if you try it and if it works!
KteachOH is offline   Reply With Quote
AllSmiles

AllSmiles

Role Model & Yacker Tracker
Old 09-22-2006, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had the same problem!! I started something called "the role model" My children love it. This is how it works.
I give classroom jobs and they change daily. The role model has a very special job. When we are outside of the classroom, the role model takes a clip board and pen and records names of students that are on their BEST behavior. They can only pick two, one boy and one girl. They add to the list all day, going to and from recess, lunch, recess etc. At the end of the day the role model gives stickers to the two children that made good choices in the hallway and at specials.
I have found that my most 'difficult' children are the best role models! They have a chance to walk beside me in the hall and give 'gentle reminders' to the children that are not making good choices. They love it, and each child will have a chance.

For the classroom noise, I ordered something called The Yacker Tracker. It is a sound operated stop light. When the noise level gets to a certain volume the light will flash or an alarm will sound. The classroom goal was to keep the light on green. I bought this light off the net, I don't remember the site but you can do a search.

Hope this will help!

Becca

Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Benteach, your class sounds exactly like mine! I also have 20 students (15 ESL students and 2 other students with attention problems). I am finding that I cannot get them to stop talking while I am talking. They miss things and then do poorly on assignments, and I am stuck repeating things over and over. So I stopped. I will only say something twice, and their grades fell. I move them. They just talk louder, or get up and move. I am about to pull my hair out. Even the "seasoned teachers" are unsure of what the next move should be. I have found through talking with others, that these ESL students have been in class together since before Kindergarden (head start). Other teachers just let them talk because they feel like they may not understand (my students do). As this is my first year, the other teachers think that I am exagerating. Then they come in...and see that I am not. If you find anything that works...that isn't posted here...please let me know! I will do the same! Good luck!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote

Brigid

Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a very talkative class this year too! When the kids just won't simmer down, I start singing "Eyes are watching, Ears are listening, Lips are closed, Hands are still, Feet are really quiet, you should really try it--listening well, listening well". Usually the children start singing with me and then I praise the ones who do what the song says. Sometimes, after getting their attention, I refer to the picture of the boy on the wall that has the same words to the song (it's a poster that they sell at teacher supply stores). If they have been particularly unruly, then they have to sit like the boy in the picture for one minute and think about how they are supposed to be in "learning mode". That often will calm them down (and me as well!) so that I don't start talking over their voices. I hope this makes sense.

Brigid is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

Yacker Tracker
Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The Yacker Tracker is amazing! I was really skeptical 'cause it's very sensitive and even "everyday noises" (opening a binder, snapping shut a pencil box) would make it go off. But my class has learned to do those thints quietly. I don't have it on all the time, only if I feel they are getting out of control. Then I tell them the consequence of making the alarm go off (different each time, relevant to the situation and individually based since it's quiet enough that I can tell who made the alarm go off). The YT is helpful 'cause it's not my judgement; they can't argue with the alarm. Now they even ask me to put on the YT to make sure that everyone is quiet when I forget. Also, if they are capable of talking without making the YT go off, then they may do so. Keeps them quiet, but also lets them feel like they are in control and not just having to "be silent."
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

what I am doing now
Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have rearranged the classroom from rows to groups of 3 and 4 with one student sitting by himself (although he will join one of the groups when it is needed for a learning activity). The teams are competing against each other to be team of the day (if I have 5 teams of the day
it does not matter as long as there is talking at approved times during the day). I also have told the class that if there is a student who
chooses to be disruptive that every one else is to ignore that student - the only attention that student will be receiving is from me - and he/she will not like the consequence/attention which I give. I also implemented a system of a blue basket into which the students can place written complaints that I will review and take care of versus calling out to tell me constantly through the day. I also am altering our schedule a little at the end of the day.
We have about 30 minutes prior to dismissal when we come back from lunch (last lunch - it is so much fun) to make that time a buddy reading,
DEAR and trips to Media Center for AR books. I plan to have the class
pack up prior to going to lunch except for books and will stamp all planners that have made good choices during the day - if I need to stamp or change a note in a planner - only that student will need to take the binder out of his/her back pack. I plan to use a reward system to reward the team(s) of the day - beginning with some thing tangible and then working towards intangible rewards. I also have met with almost all of the parents of the students - I request the student be present at the conference- there I explain the ignore as well as the
team incentive. I am following this up with choosing several children to
call home with positive phone calls along with several students who
will receive daily phone calls home about behavior, classwork, and
homework - as well as attitude. Parents have already been informed and agree to receiving the phone calls.
I like the idea of the stoplight or some thing similar to that to use
during guided reading/centers time. I will try to google it to see what I come up with.
Thanks!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote
MV

MV

Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do something called Table Checks. I created a square with four boxes inside, one for each of the tables in my room. It's permantantly on my chalkboard. I give checks 4-5 for random things. Like "The first table to put their binders away and have their homework out gets 5 checks". IF your table is working hard during ILA reading group rotations I will give your table 20 checks...it's a long time that's why. Hope this Helps.
2nd grade

2nd grade

talkative
Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have also experienced having a very talkative class. What I started to do with them was in the morning on the board I would draw a hand and a mouth. Every time someone raised their hand to say something or answer a question, then I would put a tally mark under the hand and every time someone talked out or was talking without raising their hand, I would put a tally mark under the mouth. At the end of the day we would count the tally marks to see which got more. The class was always very excited when the hand won. As they got better at this, I made it more of a challenge to try to get them to not only let the hand win, but to make the mouth less than the number that they had the day before. Hope this helps. :-) Hang in there!
hey hey u u

hey hey u u

Quiet Letters
Old 06-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is what you do! For your class spell the word QUIET on the side of the board and ever time they talk when not allowed you take one of the letter away if they lose all of the letters they have a class lose of recess!
LISA B.

LISA B.

third grade
Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh my! I am going to try this tomorrow! What a fantastic idea! I like this idea because students have a goal in mind. The incentive is intrinsic. Taking away rewards or even competition is a recipe for disaster in my classroom. Kids (much like adults) need to be working with a goal in mind. I cannot wait to see the results! Thank you for your teacher brilliance!
grimess

grimess

Another Class of talkers
Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What is this Yacker Tracker and where can I get one? I am willing to try anything.
grimess

grimess

Doesnt Work all the Time
Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I tried this in summer school with my incoming second graders and it doesn't work. I have a very talkative group and I am at a loss. Its almost as if they dont care. So then I tried giving everyone their own to spell on their desks and I come around and gave the letters. This worked for 1 day and then it was back to noise.

praterteaches

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sounds like my class. I have tried so many strategies this year that I'm exhausted. Whatever I try works for a week or 2 and then they get use to it, and go back to constant talking. I say, no talking, please turn the voices off, they stop for a moment or two, then go right back to talking. If I move one or two of them to yellow or red (we use stoplight method) the class will get quiet for a few minutes, then right back to talking. I'm racking my brains for a new strategy.
praterteaches is offline   Reply With Quote