Leave of Absence for depression - ProTeacher Community

lonely1

lonely1

Leave of Absence for depression
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't want to get into too many details. But I have depression. My depression is really bad. Every day is very hard for me. I'm never happy, and all I think about is how I'm not married, don't have kids, I don't have any friends, and don't have many close family members, and I'll live my life all alone. I have tried to join groups, but never made any friends.

I've been thinking of taking a leave of absence from my job. I know I need some help. First I wonder if it is even possible to take a leave for depression especially since I am a FIRST YEAR TEACHER. And if I do take a leave I don't want coworkers knowing. They are the gossiping type, and I am a very private person and don't want others knowing what is going on. Is it possible for a teacher to take a leave of absence for depession?

rbayliss

Absolutely...
Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You should take some time off for depression. You wouldn't think twice about taking some time off if you had bronchitis, chicken pox or cancer. Depression is a disease just the same. I am sure you know this already.

I can't guess at what services your district's benefit package would offer you, but find out. I know that here I could take an extend paid (about 60% of wage, I believe) leave, my counselling would be paid for and my anonymity would be protected.

See what's available to you. Then take advantage of it. In most cases our districts see us as well trained and highly valuable resources. They have already hired you to teach the children of their district. They think enough of you to trust you with that task. They ought to protect the valuable resource they see you as.

kestchr3

Think
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First of all I am praying that you will find the happiness you desire. Secondly I would suggest that you not make ANY workplace decisions right now. Give yourself the time to find a counselor, perhaps try medication or therapy. Today's situation is not permanent but your work history is. Knowing that you need help is a very positive, thoughtful first step. Thinking of you!

reddlox

Old 10-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am by no means an expert in depression, but I agree with the PP. Make it a priority to go the the doctor and find a councelor. I would ask myself the question why you need time off. Is it going to help you to feel better, or just more isolated and alone in your house? GOod luck, hope you feel better soon and know that you're not alone even when it feels like it. We're always here for you.

mooba1

Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree w/ Reddlox and the pp. Taking a leave right now might make it very easy for you to isolate yourself completely and further complicate your feelings of depression. The idea of taking a leave might look appealing b/c it would seem to be an escape of sorts, but I think that's a very slippery slope. I'm not judging you or your situation, just making an observation---which may be totally off-base. If I were speaking to you in person, I'd be saying this in the most kind, gentle and truly caring way.

Please give yourself a little more time before you make a big decision like this, and consider getting some help before you make any big moves. We're here for you, too. (((hugs)))

NeeCee

Yes, It Is Possible
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Depression is a health issue and you are allowed to take a leave of absence for health reasons. Just have your doctor write a letter to your principal and then he should authorize your HR department to set up your leave. Your doctor can also advice you on selecting a therapist to see during your leave of absence. Hopefully, this is the reason you'd want to take off work, to be able to seek help and find the right medications to help you cope.

Sending you a hug and wishing you the best as you sort things out.

NeeCee

needmyjob

Lonely
Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Dear Lonely...You have friends here on PT.

Teaching itself can get to you physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Please visit a doctor. If you are diagnosed, you will receive medicine to help you through this time and perhaps you can be given the name of someone you can talk with.

Look at those kids you are teaching and make them your priority. That will take your mind off of yourself. Search these boards for lots of new things to teach your students--that can keep you really busy and your mind busy as well!!

Please hold on. Our vacations are coming---better to be busy!!! Hugs to yourself today

HBteach

Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Without getting to personal with my own stuff (never know who's on PT) I understand where you're coming from. Have you seen a counselor? Talked to your doctor about being depressed? Talk to a professional first.

I took medical leave for a month due to depression one year. It can be done and noone needs to know why.

PM me and I'll talk to you further.

teacher7696

Best thoughts!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes -Get help NOW. Once I got on meds the children actually helped me keep focused and not so lost. Make yourself go out every day. Go to a bookstore, library, coffee shop, the mall, or someplace where you will see people you can interact with- that maybe have something in commen. All my prayers- Believe it or not things will get better, but you have to start somewhere and get help. I will be on meds the rest of my life but they helped give it back to me! Think of it as a person on insulin or blood pressure medicine! There are a lot of others in your shoes, and once you open up to someone you will be absolutely amazed about who they all are!!

MissTrace

Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I can empathize with you, although the roots of my depression are different I have been suffering with varying levels of depression for about a year now. I agree with the pp's who have suggested talking to your doctor and seeking therapy. For me it was the hardest thing I think I've ever done, but I made the call to start the process of seeking out counseling and spoke to my doctor about my depression. I just started meds and I really hope to see a difference soon. I would hold off on taking a leave of absence until you've talked to your doctor about it. If you're feeling isolated, being home may just make it worse. Good luck to you and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it.