Kagan Cooperative Learning - ProTeacher Community

BB2342

Kagan Cooperative Learning
Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school recently had an inservice day devoted to the Kagen Program. Does anyone use this in their 3rd grade classroom? I chose cooperative Learning as one of my Professional Growth Plan Objectives, so any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BB2342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do every day. I started by picking just ONE structure. I introduced it and used it for a couple of weeks until they AND I felt very comfortable with it. I made sure I really understood all the ways I could use that one particular structure in each subject area, etc. Then I introduced a new structure and used it along with the previous one. I think it works much better to only use one or two and slowly build rather than try to do them all. Personally, if I try to change things too much, too quickly, I end up giving the whole thing up altogether. I use many different structures now and it's almost like second nature. It's just part of the way I present material now.
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

PAJess888

Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use numbered heads and the Showdown strategies a lot in Reading and Math. In fact, I've used task cards I have printed from here on PT for Showdown. I also recently used Rotating Review where the kids worked in small teams to come up with different Proper Nouns. Basically I had 6 catagories on chart paper posted around the room and kids in groups of 3 with a reporter, checker, and recorder. The recorder wrote for the team, the checker made sure they were not repeating another team's answer, and the reporter added up the points they scored each "round". They had 2 minutes to come up with as many proper nouns to match the common noun given, i.e. Restruant, then they moved on to movies, etc. I don't always have specfic roles for the students when they work in groups, but this activity I did.

I also have my kids work together in teams to create projects like a gameboard or even a business plan recently. I also gave them pictures of different parts of a skeleton and had them counting bones in groups.

There really are no bounds when it comes to group work. I also pair them up a lot for think-pair-share. I use whole brain teaching's Crazy Professor Reading where they read in pairs or small groups and question eachother as well as literature circles. If you need more specific ideas, let me know! I have lots of materials and there is no use in recreating the wheel.
PAJess888 is offline   Reply With Quote

rookieteacher

Love it!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use tons of the Kagan structures, we had a five day training and it is just fabulous. Third graders realyl seem to love it here, and it helps a lot with bringing down behavior problems. the integration of social skills is wonderful. I have some games ive made for quiz quit trade, rally coach, etc. if you'd like me to share, just pm me and let me know!
rookieteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I like Kagen
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use quiz, quiz trade and rallycoach and try to team small groups as he advises - it works very well.

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote