Non Fiction Writing for 2nd Grade - ProTeacher Community

kathismith

Non Fiction Writing for 2nd Grade
Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I purchased the LC Units of Study for myself last year and am using it to teach my second graders. My school district was too cheap to purchase it and told me I could use it if I purchased them myself. I had to stop teaching Small Moments and need to jump to Non-Fiction lessons according to my school district guidelines. I am beginning with "How To" stories, but think I need more substance for this unit. I was wondering if anyone had any lessons or website links for Non-Fiction writing for second graders. I need to do Non- Fiction writing until mid December and will then jump to another writing mode. I have also been reading another Non-Fiction Mentor text book that encourages students to write questions for all their Non-Fiction writing. I have overloaded my brain from all my reading. I would love a simple lesson plan outline with Non-Fiction Writing lessons. If anyone has anything to share please let me know. I love this website because I have gotten so many great ideas from so many wonderful teachers

kathismith is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny1st

A New book for 2nd
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a few suggestions-
1-Ann Marie Corgill's book called Of Primary Importance had some really GREAT ideas and could extend your unit.

2-Anything by Katie Wood Ray-she does a lot of immersion and inquiry.

3-Lucy just put out a small book (inexpensive too) with extensions and ideas for 2nd graders:
http://www.heinemann.com/products/E02677.aspx

Spending 3 months in Non-fiction seems like a really LONG time. Maybe you could do different types of Non-Fiction like new paper articles, book reviews, etc...In addition to How-to's and All Abouts...
Jenny1st is offline   Reply With Quote

kathismith

Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not familiar with the two authors you mentioned and will search for their books after I finished writing this post. I have Lucy's extension book for second grade and it is good, but there is not a lot with non-fiction writing. Thank you so much for your help Have a great week!
kathismith is offline   Reply With Quote