kindergarten fractions - ProTeacher Community

Kteacher85

kindergarten fractions
Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

what are some activities you do for fractions for kindergarten. In my county students are required to know equal and unequal parts and only half and whole. I'm looking for some cute hands on ideas.

Kteacher85 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkid

Fractions...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do fractions with pizza. The children color a pre-cut circle like their favorite pizza (the back is marked in half with a dotted line). We cut our pizza and share 1/2 with a friend. We have worksheets that have the children chose the one that shows 1/2 (they are from Mailbox, I think). I have some activities to put in the math center that have the children find the equal parts and putting halves together to make a whole.
funkid is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We divide graham crackers in half and share them with a friend.

A GREAT book for equal/unequal parts is Rabbit and Hare Divide an Apple. I made paper replicas of the different ways they divided their apple and we "act out" the book as I read it.

Do you also have to half of a group of objects (as opposed to half of one whole object)? We do lots of sharing of snack for that, too.

Give Me Half is another good picture book about fractions.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the kids make a 4 page book (later in the year). The cover says Cookie Sharing. On the first page it says One kid can eat a whole cookie and they draw one happy face and glue on one die cut circle (and draw on chocolate chips). The next page says two kids can each eat half a cookie, They cut the circle in half before glueing and they draw two happy faces etc. They love it!

Also, I have them cut die-cut shapes in half. If the two parts are equal they glue them to one half of a sheet of construction paper, if unequal, the other side.
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote