Inappropriate Teacher Clothing??? - ProTeacher Community

3of3

Inappropriate Teacher Clothing???
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK, maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe it's because I have teenage girls, but I need your opinion on this. My daughter's teacher has been wearing skin tight jeans and shirts that show a good portion of her belly to school lately. The teacher is 50ish and in the past has never dressed this way. I thought that it was a bit much but didn't say anything to my kid. On the way home from school my daughter mentioned her teacher's half-shirt look, saying that it was kind of wierd seeing her dress that way. I think that she(the teacher) is a great educator, but wonder what would possess her to want to dress this way in front of 14 year old kids? I know teachers have lives and can dress anyway they choose outside the class, but it seems inappropriate to dress this way when teaching. Am I just being a prude?

3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

whoa!!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A good number of the schools I've worked at do not allow the kids to dress that way. Not that there's the message of 'this is bad dress' but just the place for this kind of dress is not in the classroom.

I would wonder why a teacher of any age is trying to make herself sexually attractive to her students. And the tight jeans / bare midriff thing is sexy (assuming the body we're talking about fits the bill). It may be attractive, but it's also distracting and confusing. Especially to 14 year olds who have enough hormones on their plate as it is.

I remember one young teacher I saw once in a fifth grade class. She was squatting on the floor helping someone, and her low jeans got lower, giving a fabulous view of her tattoo and thong, and believe me, every single boy was staring at her ass.

I'm glad for her though that she's feeling good dressing that way...more power to 50 year old women who are looking good! Now if she could just remember where she is....
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I must be old fashioned too. I can't think what work place would that sort of dclothing be appropriate?! I don't care how thin and fit you are, a 50ish belly needs to be covered by a layer or two! Maybe she is having mental issues. Oh, then I had to check your location. Maybe she's going for the "Demi" look...... not appropriate at school UGH!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I am not really surprised
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You see it on TV all the time so it is no surprise that it has moved into real life. On CSI: Miami the women show up at bloody crime scenes in tight, shiny tops with plunging necklines. On CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Catherine who is definitely older (and a supervisor on there) always wears belly shirts and skin tight jeans. I sure it is true of other shows as well.

It is no wonder that people blur the lines. We can argue that media doesn't influence us but it clearly does.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well she does have a pretty nice bod, but as Readleaf mentioned it's more of the age sexuality thing that gets to me. What adult in there right mind would want 14 year olds staring at their body.GROSS! When I'm in a classroom with this age it's hard enough to keep them focused with all the distractions. Maybe that's how she is getting them to focus on her Even her mannerisms seem different, hand on the hip, wearing more make-up, daughter even said that she was flat-ironing her hair in class one day! I think I'm leaning towards the mental issue myself--but then again what teacher isn't a little nuts in some way. Just hope that it doesn't continue, I would hate to have to mention it to the teacher or school. BTW, the school had a pretty strict dress code, hopefully they'll take care of it before the "ass crack" shows up

3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Inappropriate dress
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I think that it is inappropriate for any teacher, regardless of age or body type to dress in the way that you are describing. The schools I teach at have a dress code and half shirts and skin tight jeans are never acceptable even on dress down days.
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

never a good look.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...good portion of her belly to school lately. The teacher is 50ish...Am I just being a prude? "

50 or not, you're not a prude. Uncovered belly rolls, tramp stamps, ass cracks, and thong straps are never a good look in the classroom. It just encourages kids to wear “prositot” clothing to school.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Go to the office and "ask" if wearing bare midriff shirts and jeans is part of teacher dress code. When they say "no," then say, "oh ok, I wasn't sure. I saw some teachers who were dressed this way and thought it was ok."

Perhaps office personnel will get the hint and make a faculty dress code reminder memo.
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

COsub1

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is definitely inappropriate dress for the classroom. It is hard for me to imagine a woman especially of that age to make that kind of choice. She should know better without a doubt. I agree that the school should send out a dress code reminder memo since there are teachers making inappropriate choices in the school.
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Drama Mama

Wow!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our school district has a strict dress code for students and teachers.

If a teacher came on campus dressed like you describe she would be back in her car headed home within 10 minutes. Neither administrator at my building would bat an eye at giving her an earful. I've even seen a sub sent home for the day for wearing jeans.

Sounds like your administration needs to step up.

Kinda' sounds like the teacher may be having a mid life crisis!
Drama Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

stacynia

I'm with Drama Mama...
Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For me, when I was dressing like that, it was a Mid-Life crisis. (Jeans from the junior's department, fitted tops---for the record, they were NOT belly shirts, please I've had two kids!!!)

Maybe it's some sort of mid-life crisis with her. What else would cloud somebody's judgement like that?? This particular choice is just SOooo innappropriate. If it was in my daughter's school, I would be talking to someone about it. Messing with middle schoolers is NOT cool. They are so, so vulnerable. (All kids are, but SERIOUSLY...do you remember Middle School???)

My mid-life crisis came a bit earlier than hers, and thank God it came before I chose subbing as my path. After snapping out of it, I'm only a tad embarrassed by wearing all of those silly jeans from the Junior's department! (That's just me, of course...live and let live...)
stacynia is offline   Reply With Quote