Motivating 4th graders - ProTeacher Community

MD_teach

Motivating 4th graders
Old 11-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade and they are really struggling with their muliplication facts. I just spent the last few weeks having them earn ice cream sundaes for their facts. They earned different things towards a sundae (bowl, spoon, ice cream, cherries, sprinkles, etc.) for each test they passed. They started off doing well, and then they gave up. I only had a 4 out of 20 pass all of their tests. So as the 2nd quarter starts, I want to try something new. I was thinking about using a monopoly board somehow. Any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!! I'm really struggling!!

MD_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

2kiddies

Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is that they don't know their facts at all or just cannot do it in one minute? I was struggling with this and some people thought maybe I needed to up my time until they actually know the facts. This has helped. Many of the students knew the facts they just could not process it and write in down in one minute. I am going to work my way back down to that though.
2kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote

rm206

Multiplication Basketball
Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try multiplication basketball. My class loves it. Divide the class into teams (mixed ability)
Each team comes up and must answer the fact (flashcard, I do up to 12x's) They have 2 min to answer as a team. It continues round robin style until the time is up. They get 1 point for each correct answer and obviously no points for incorrect answers. Whichever team has the highest score can go to the basket & shoot for 1 min. (I use a nerf) I also let the kids say pass if they don't know the fact so as not to embarass or hold up a team based on 1 fact. I've seen my class start w/ getting 20 facts correct in 2 min to 90+ facts by June. They ask to play all the time!!!
rm206 is online now   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

multiplication
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Since they are giving up, you might use it like homeworkopoly. Everytime they pass a test, they get to roll the dice. If you want, there is a game board from homeworkopoly.com that you can download. It might help.
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote
nsteacher22

nsteacher22

motivating students
Old 11-10-2009, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a marble jar. For each kid that passes a test, we put a marble in. The kids really want to contribute to filling the jar. Once it is filled, then they have a fun math Friday where I put out tons of math games related to the topics we are studying.

Also a fun game with Dice is called BUST. Have the students write BUST at the top of their paper. Then you role 2 dice, call out the two numbers and the students have to mulitply them and right them under the B. Continue this, but when you role doubles students loose all of their points. So if they think you are going to role doubles next, they have to stand up. Once they stand up, they can no longer write point in their column. Once your role doubles, everyone still sitting crosses off the points they put under the B and the ones standing circle them. You then move on to the next round and the numbers are written under the U this time. You continue this all the way through the word BUST. Once the T round is over, students add up their circled numbers. This also reinforces probability!

TopaTeacher

Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I finally went to giving time tests every day... when they can complete 100 facts in 4 minutes - 3 times @ 100%... they first need to master the addition, on to subtraction, then multiplication, and finally division. I put up posters on the wall outside my room that said, "I mastered my addition facts, etc." As they master each one, I put a star up on that particular board. It's helping to motivate my students, as the competition gives them an added "boost". Also, the students from the other 5 fourth grade classrooms walk by and check them out daily. The peer pressure seems to be helping. I just hate the fact that they don't know all the facts yet? Oh, it also pushes the parents to help out a little more... when they come to the classroom for any reason, they see where their student is compared to the rest of the class.

Last edited by TopaTeacher; 11-24-2009 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
TopaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TopaTeacher

Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I finally went to giving time tests every day... when they can complete 100 facts in 4 minutes - 3 times @ 100%... they first need to master the addition, on to subtraction, then multiplication, and finally division. I put up posters on the wall outside my room that said, "I mastered my addition facts, etc." As they master each one, I put a star up on that particular board. It's helping to motivate my students, as the competition gives them an added "boost". Also, the students from the other 5 fourth grade classrooms walk by and check them out daily. The peer pressure seems to be helping. I just hate the fact that they don't know all the facts yet? Oh, it also pushes the parents to help out a little more... when they come to the classroom for any reason, they see where their student is compared to the rest of the class.
TopaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote