Christmas Gifts For Students... - ProTeacher Community

bamagirl

Christmas Gifts For Students...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are you planning to give your students for Christmas gifts, or what have you given them in the past? I'm looking for some new, but inexpensive ideas.

Kate26

Pencil Sets
Old 11-13-2005, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually give them those personalized pencil sets from Atlas. Some years I have given them a book from Troll or Scholastic. I, also, would like some new ideas.

tolly

Ornament
Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got this idea years ago from here! I buy a cheap glass/plastic ornaments and write my student's name on it. Each child gets their own name. I buy them cheap after Christmas each year. I'm lucky..my husband does fancy writing so they always look great. I also write the year on them. They are a momento of our year together. As I'm from Australia and our school year ends 3 days before Christmas, it is a nice way to finish the year. For children who do not celebrate Christmas I may have a small book or something similar.

I package them in a box and I tie fancy ribbon so they can hang the ornament from the tree. Ribbon also bought cheap after Christmas in the sales! All up it usually costs no more than $5 for a set of 30. Have to be nice to my husband though!! Every year I do it I get lots of oohs and aahs. Good luck !

speeder1

Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am making each one of my students a Santa Clause light bulb. I take a regular lightbulb and paint a santa face on it. I then take a fancy marker and write their name and year on the beard part of the bulb. I started 50 last night and should be done by Thanksgiving.

Miss C

ornaments
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year, Wal-Mart had these great flat gold ornaments. The jewelry department engraved them for free. I like doing stuff myself, so they let me use the little tool to engrave them myself. We hung them on the class tree, and then I let them take them home the last day of the semester. Each one had The student's name, the year, and the grade they were in.

IowaKim

IowaKim

ornaments, too
Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do those clear glass/plastic ornaments, too - I buy the round ones at Hobby Lobby or Joanne Fabrics. Then I take the little topper off and put that sparkly garland in it (the stars garland that is wire - gold, red, etc). Then I write their name and year on it with the special pen you can buy for glass ornaments (was right next to the ornaments when I bought them at the fabric store)

h0kie

School stuff
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The kids in my mom's room (its as close to "my" room as I have right now) get:
  • 2 pencils (1 is usually 3rd graders are super or 4th graders are great, something special)
  • 1 blue pen
  • 1 red pen
  • 1 candy cane
  • 1 notepad (they LOVE to write on these)
The teachers put them in the Christmas ziplocs. The kids get this bag from all 4 of their teachers (science/social studies, reading, writing, and math). So it works out to be pretty inexpensive, not time consuming, and the kids love the notepads for writing things to each other (and usually, nothing bad comes from them). Plus, its something practical that the kids can use at school. Just think how many ornaments and knick knacks we get every year that we can't use.

Kim/4th/SC

Coupons
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My partner teacher and I make up a booklet of coupons for each student. We include a homework pass to skip one assignment, sit by a friend for a day, talk during the entire lunch period, 5 extra points on a test, etc.

Kim

SusanTeach

gifts
Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I gave my students (3rd grade) small stuffed animals last year (you can buy a whole bag pretty cheap at teacher stores, or Oriental Trading) and they LOVED them! I'll probably do the same thing this year.
Laura Mae

Laura Mae

gifts
Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have done Christmas ornaments. I buy those christmas ornament apples and write their names on with silver Sharpies. I thought the apples seemed kind of teachery (new word). Also, I have done books from Scholastic (95 cents or used bonus points). I have given those BIG candy bars. You can get them on sale before Christmas sometimes for 75 cents (ex. really big Hershey bars). They loved that. They are impressed by the size. Usually, none of them have had a candy bar that big.

ily

Old 11-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I usually give them a Christmas pencil and notebook in a little bag. Although I have thought of using my bonus coupons to get them books from scholastic.

nuhusker98

Snow globes
Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When my son was an infant and going through jars of baby food left and right, I decided to use these as snow globes for presents. I bought mini ornaments at the craft store along with some styrofoam. I cool glued the styrofoam to the underside of the lid and attached the ornament to that. I filled the jar with water and glitter and screwed the lid on. A bead of hot glue and a nice ribbon tied around the outside and the kids loved them.

Peggy

Gifts
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also give the coupon book--they love the chance to turn them in for fun things like eat lunch with a friend, read a comic during silent reading ect. Last year, I wrote the books in code and I think they enjoyed trying to break the code even more than the gift!

NightOwl

holiday gifts
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Last year I gave each student a little stocking filled with candy and small toys purchased at the dollar store. I am thinking this year I'd like to give them each a special card with a gift certificate to the school store.
LoveToTeach

LoveToTeach

www.orientaltrading.com
Old 11-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Go to OrientalTrading.com for gifts, crafts, ornaments, candy, pencils, etc. at such a cheap cost!

RedSoxGirl

RedSoxGirl

I LOVE giving this gift ...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use Mic. Word to create personalized stationary for my students, and then I copy 20 pieces each for the kids. I buy colored paper to give it a little "kick," but that's the extent of the spending. The kids love it, the parents love it, and it's cheap.

Some teachers use Bonus Points from book orders to buy each child a book. Others buy pencils, stickers, candies, etc.

But I personally like my idea the best.

I think it's nice just to give them a little something, no matter what you do. It's the thought that counts.

jo2go

jo2go

Encoded Coupon Book (gift for student)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Canyou give me more details on the coupons you coded? Do you have them in electronic format? If so, would you be willing to mail them to me?
(ccltjsc@gmail.com)

Thank you!

Tara A

Tara A

Tidbits for Tara
Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Peggy -
I just happened on this website...I am NEVER on this - so if you respond, could you please email me. I LOVE the idea of your coupon book - especially the fact that you wrote them in code!! Do you have those saved on your computer? If so - would you mind sharing those with me? I would LOVE it if you emailed me the blackline. My email address is: flygirl165@gmail.com

Tara A

Tara A

RedSoxGirl
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Do you mind sharing your stationary? I am curious to see what it looks like - I think it's a GREAT idea! If you are willing to share it, could you please send it as an attachment to me? My email address is: flygirl165@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch!!

Donna132

Donna132

Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Can you please email me a sample of the stationary. My email is dvoisin132@yahoo.com Thanks

cece

Old 12-05-2006, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Can you email me a copy of the coded coupons. I am racking my brain to come up with gifts. simmonscy@hotmail.com
wuzup

wuzup

hey
Old 12-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The stationary idea is sweet!

Niki

Love it!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I love the coupon and stationary ideas! Could you please send them both to me if you can? ohsbarnes@aol.com

Thanks!

Niki
Patricia

Patricia

Paper and code ideas
Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I would like a copy also and more information on the code idea. pdouglas_32@yahoo.com

KEaton

KEaton

Old 12-14-2006, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Could you e-mail me a copy of the stationary...sounds wonderful!
keaton@nbbroncos.net

teacher4

free
Old 12-14-2006, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Book from Scholastic book club and a cute pen from the dollar store.
Coco

Coco

Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I have to admit that it's not my idea, but I think my students will love it. I bought Christmas mugs at the dollar store. (the manager was really in the spirit as she gave me half off when I told her why I was buying 29 mugs). I put a package of hot chocolate, 3 hershey kisses, 10 mini marshmallows and a candy cane that serves a stir stick. I attached the following note.

I was told you've been really good this year.
Always glad to hear it!
With freezing weather drawing near,
You'll need to warm the spirit.

So here's a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick.
Add hot water, sip it slow.
It's sure to do the trick!

benteach

I did the same thing only
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I put every thing (subsitituting a soft peppermint stick for the hershey's kisses) in a plastic zip lock bag minus the mugs......I was tempted to put the poem for Snowman Poop versus Snowman Soup but I know my principal does not want to hear from any parents on the last day of school before vacation...........the mugs are a cute idea - I will remember them for next year - Walgreens had great mugs on sale for 50 cents versus a dollar........