door decorating contest-Christmas - ProTeacher Community

teach

teach

door decorating contest-Christmas
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are having a door decorating contest for Christmas. The doors are being judged on November 30th so I don't have much time. Does anyone have any good ideas? The theme for my room right now is zoo animals, it doesn't have to go along with my theme but if you have an idea that would that would be GREAT! Thanks!

Cindy49

Cindy49

We are doing doors also.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A tree with the kids names on ornaments/stars/lights is cute.

Google---Christmas door decorating contest-----and several schools/businesses have posted past doors.

Peggy

Door Decorating
Old 11-15-2005, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband did a "where's waldo" Christmas theme and the kids loved it. They decided on what to put in and had their principal as "waldo". They used all Christmas themed pictures that they created on their own. Turned out to be a combo door decoration and art mark! It didn't take very long--he assigned a couple of pictures per student.
Tropicalgirl

Tropicalgirl

Door Decorating
Old 11-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Aloha from Hilo, Hawaii-One of our winners from High School had taken the movie, Elf, and placed the kids pictures in the face part and used the Elf template from the movie to place on the door. Santa was the teacher. It won #1 last year!

For the zoo animal theme, you can always place kids photos in the animal faces and have it as a Jungle Holiday. Something to think about..

Good Luck!

HI

HI

Door Contest
Old 12-01-2005, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Gingerbread House, Stainglass, Angels, Door W/ A Large Bow

crawfish

crawfish

door decoration
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year I did a theme entitled "Have a Zoopendeous Christmas" I decorated with zoo animals and put christmas hats on them. I also had ice skates on a few animals and I put them on a pond. Fianlly I had snakes pulling sleighs and alligators pulling sleighs. It was cute

hello

hello

hello
Old 12-14-2005, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i love your idea it is very creative!!

3rd Teacher

3rd Teacher

Year-Round Elementary
Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think this site is pretty cool! I'm going to cover my classroom door with black paper and have a huge red, glittery Rudolph nose. I'm going to have my students bring in pictures of them opening presents sometime growing up and display them on the door inside houses that they have made. Not sure about a title. Any suggestions? I was thinking, "Next Stop...(my hometown name)"

homehelp

homehelp

xmas door
Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am in need of some advice to decorate my door. it is in a hospital and we are the home help dept. I thought about a present with a large bow and photos of some of our workers???? Any other ideas?????

art

art

door cover for xmas
Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Give a thought to green paper cut out as a tree brown for the base
then hang lights fromt the top of the door and tape
them into the places you would expect them to be hanging on a real tree. turn them on. other decorations from the class hung (taped) on the tree. or the childrens names on a ornament size paper on the tree. use lots of colors
put some small wraped boxes below even consider plastic boxes
with lights in them at the base to look like presents.

chellebelle

chellebelle

door decoration
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I decorate doors at my children's school for the holidays or seasons. Something cute for yours would be to title it "HOME for the Holidays." If you can find wrapping paper in blue with white snowflakes, you can put that on the door. Make little houses out of tongue depressors, one dimensional of course. Depending on how big you want to make them you can glue 5 or 6 side-by-side onto your paper. Take more sticks and slant them for the roof, maybe 3 layers for that. You can make your own little trees or you can buy the craft foam ones at Michael's.

If you don't have or can't find white with blue wrapping paper, use blue paper and add cotton balls for the snow. You can use gauze as snow on the ground. Even the white fuzzy boas can be glued on to look like fluffy snow.

If that's too much work, I'd hang a wreath on the door and still make the title HOME for the Holidays, but I'd try and find ornaments that were little houses. Since you're in a hospital, you might want to add medical supplies as decorations, as well. Except syringes!! Hope I've given you some ideas to work with...

angel25

angel25

Christmas Door
Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You can do a snow globe on the door, and put cotton inside the globe for the snow then maybe put your workers pictures inside of the globe.

B. Steedley

We are having a contest also.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Find some pictures of animals and let students choose an animal. Take a picture of each student and glue their picture on the animal. Your title can be Have a Zooerrific Holiday! You can glue each animal on a gigantic Christmas Tree and let the children string popcorn and decorate the tree with gumdrops and candy canes. I hope this helps.
De

De

Old 12-05-2006, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Did you get any great replys back for ideas. We are decorating our doors in our school tomorrow and that creative part of me has drawn a blank

Miss V

Miss V

Door Contest
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My class has won 3 years in a row:
One year, we had "Elves have entered the building!" and the kids all made 3D elves with lunch sacks stuffed with scrap paper then glued elf faces, hands, and shoes onto it.
Another year, we wrapped a BUNCH of milk cartons in white paper and taped them to the wall and door, making an igloo. The kids all cut out and personalized a penguin to place on the igloo. The title was "Winter Wonderland" and the kids all put question bubbles above their penguins with "I wonder...." statements on them
Last year, was the best! We had a chimney on the door with a few stockings. "Hanging" from the chimney was a script that said, "...the stockings were hung my the chimney with care..." On the wall by our door, we created huge bed posts with brown bulletin board paper. I had the kids all lay down on the carpeted floor and took a picture of them like they were sleeping. We used a big piece of blue bulletin board paper for a "blanket" and stuffed the body shapes and stapled around them like they were in bed. I placed their pictures above each shape and made them kind of bubble out so they didn't seem so 2 dimensional. Above their heads, the kids placed pictures of candy they had decorated. Above the candy, there was the excerpt, "The children were nestled all snug in their beds, with visions of sugar plums danced in their heads."

LOVE DOOR contests!!! Good luck!

sheryl

sheryl

Santa delivering toys
Old 12-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Make a chimney with Santa stuck half way in it,it's like he was delivering toys .

Tootsiesgd

Tootsiesgd

Old 12-10-2006, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I think you should probably expand it to other holidays that are celebrated at this time unless you teach at a christian school. . which even so you may have kids that are not christian and celebrate other holidays at this time, everyone could bring in pictures of their celebration and you could call it the family holiday door or holiday door or. .your hometime name w/a twist would be good too. But its a great idea I think I might steal it for my door decorating contest.

Debbie Dot

Debbie Dot

Teacher
Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

How about a Mexican Theme? Feliz Navidad! Add brightly colored paper or even those brightly colored roses made out of tissue. Add some chili pepper lights and you 've got it! Good luck! (Black paper would make an ecellent backdrop!)

Virginia

Virginia

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

'Tis the season to celebrate! Am so inspired and excited to make one of the posted ideas work for me this year!

anglove

anglove

How do make a snowglobe on my classroom door
Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I get the concept but i dont know to do the clear snow globe that stands out from the door???

momocayden

Snowglobe door
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Use a clear plastic or syran wrap to give the effect of the globe. I did a similiar project as a Brownie leader. Their's was an art project, but the concept is the same. You could put some cotton or blanket filling on the bottom to "puff" it out a bit. Glue glitter on the paper behind the globe to give the effect of the snow falling.
dbowen

dbowen

Snow Globe Door
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Try clear sulophane and use cotton balls or fiber fill for snow at the bottom of the globe. You can also use a firm piece of card stock or poster board cut into a half circle inside to keep it out from the door (3D). Also use fishing line attached to the sulophane to dangle snowflakes inside the globe.

joejoe

joejoe

Elves
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

What I did for my moms door in her office was took pics of all the people in her office. Put them on a computer and I put them on paint and I maid them look like elves then I printed them out and everyone thinks its so funny. Well good luck.

just a kid

just a kid

thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

my class is having a door decoration contest i volenteered to get some ideas i would of been here for hours just trying to find ideas thanks theses are good ideas

An

An

joejoe
Old 12-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I really like your idea about Christmas Elves!!!!!!!!!!

Sunbeam353

Sunbeam353

Peeking Reindeer
Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Last year for the contest at my mom's nursing home - I covered the door with paper, then made a large Christmas tree out of green poster board. Then I made six or seven reindeer faces tracing my hand for the antlers and using a shoe to shape the face (I used brown felt for these) and used
red pompoms for the nose, huge jigglies for the eyes. I put the deer peeking out from behind the tree. It was cute - got lots of compliments - but no prize

E.R.

E.R.

snowmen and gingerbread
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

One year I decorated my door using very decorative snowmen and gingerbread cutouts. I then put all my students names on them. We put of course in letters the following: We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The students loved seeing their names on the door know that they were wishing the student body of our school a Merry Christmas.

"B"

"B"

"Bear" themed door ideas?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I am the room mom for a class which has a theme of bears. Our schools guidelines for the door decorating contest is that it has to be mostly the children contibuting to the decor. I don't believe it can be mainly focused on Christmas either due to not wanting to offend other religions or beliefs. Does anyone have any ideas for decorating our kindergarten door that might be able to tie in the bear them?

One idea I had was doing a "Winter Wonder Land" and having each of the children make a tiny little bear out of the round styro foam things you get at like walmart. The bear could resemble each child. Then have the door decorated like the bears are ice skating. Let me know what you think about this idea or if you have any added suggestions!

I love this sight=o It is so cool!!!!

~Thanks~

GreenBunny

Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I decorated my door once by putting huge sheets of tin foil on the door. The kids decorated manila paper Christmas cookie shapes and I put them in rows on the tin foil. It looked like a giant tray of cookies ready for the oven.

BTW, I LOVE the idea of "Elves have entered the building". Very amusing. Did any of them wear blue suede shoes?
crhow

crhow

Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Have you done a snow globe on a door before? I am planning on doing this, but would like to see pictures, if you have any. Thanks

dlnoles

dlnoles

Cookie tray idea
Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I love the Christmas cookies on a tray. Did you have a cute little saying to go with that?

GCS

GCS

ideas for door deccorating?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I'm helping decorate with a local elementary school, and they are having a story book christmas theme for the doors! My class is reading The Best Christmas Pagent Ever, so this is the story we decided to use for our door!
Any ideas for the door? Not real sure were to start!
Thanks!

teena

teena

love
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

i really love the snowglobe theme. My students and i are doing a compitition and i need some great ideas. THANKS

k_km

k_km

peas on earth
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I decorated a door last year that would be appropriate for a high school. It was "Peas on earth" I cut out a half of a globe and cut styro foam balls in half and painted them green. I named them chick peas and made them look like baby chicks, black eyed peas and made big black eyes, peas on skis, snow peas. I think you follow. It was very funny and it didn't get into any particular holiday. Good Luck,

kkerhin

kkerhin

door idea
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We are having a contest too. Some of the ideas included; "Happy Holidays from a Bunch of Flakes" (each child made a paper snowflake and we put their picture on it), "We are a sweet class because..." (each child decorated a paper candy cane with what makes them sweet), "Toasting the Holidays" (each child wrote on a piece of paper toast what they are thankful for).

Terriefic

Terriefic

Christmas Cookies on tray answer
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I thought of: "Baking a list and checking it twice"

KITKAT123

KITKAT123

Door Decorating
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I THINK A GOOD THEME WOULD BE TO FIRST COVER THE DOOR WITH WRAPING PAPER (RED). NEXT I WOULD EATHER BLOW UP FIRE PLACE OR DRAW ONE. OVER THE FIRE PLACE U CAN HAVE THE KIDS MAKE RED AND GREEN STOCKINGS WITH THEIR OWN PERSONAL TOUCH AND HANG THEM OVER THE FIRE PLACE. SURROUNDING THE DOOR PUT BLUE GARLEN TO AD A LIL SOMETHING SPECIAL. YOU CAN TITLE IT wHEN THE KIDS WERE FAST TO SLEEP, OR WHATEVER U LIKE JUST DO WAT U WANT AND BE CREATIVE!

Nurse Em

Nurse Em

Door Snow Globe
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I love the snow globe idea for my door at a Pediatrics Office. Im still not sure how you would get the whole 3D effect. How would you get the seranwrap to stick out from the door?

JENNI92871

JENNI92871

Coordinator
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Look to christmas cards, find 1 you like & go from there.

coolone

coolone

Bearable...
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

"Making the Holidays Bearable"

Make Santa into a bear, elf that is a bear, children that are bears....just a thot.

Kylee'sMommy

Kylee'sMommy

Christain Door Decoration
Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I work at a christain daycare. We are have a contest as well, but it has to somehow show the true meaning of Christmas; no santa clause, snowmen, christmas tree, or anything like that. We also have to incorparate the children and teachers into the door. There are 8 children and 3 teachers. I am stumped. I guess because it doesn't feel like christams time to me because it is still so warm out. If you all could help me and give me some ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

laura lauderm

laura lauderm

cute door decoration
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I am a computer lab teacher at a middle school and my door last year was cool. I took shiny C.D'S and made a christmas tree out of them and titled it do you hear what i hear! at the top i put a blue c.d and ran the tinsle through the c.d.s and put red paper behind it. It was really great and i got a lot of compliments out of it.

Jacksz32

Jacksz32

12 Days of Christmas
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I work in a children's hospital and have a few limitations as to what kinds of materials can/cannot be used to decorate our doors. Last year we went with the theme of the 12 Days of Christmas. I arranged illustrations of each item from the song in the form of a Christmas tree (partridge on top). The cute part was that I used the faces of our doctors, nurses, and other staff for the faces of the Maids, Ladies, Lords, Pipers, and Drummers. I also included Santa and a few elves and again, used the faces of our staff (our director was Santa, secretaries were the elves). As a little bonus, we included the CDC's The 12 Ways to Health Holiday Song. Everyone loved it and we won one of the door prizes :-)

alexandera

alexandera

christmas
Old 11-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

-snowman
-snowflake
-gingerbread man
-gingerbread house
-christmas tree
-christmas lights
-Jesus seen
-star
-angel
-candy cane

kkjhn

kkjhn

replying to door
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

love the idea i am going to use it for my door

Mrs Deg

Mrs Deg

Door Decorating
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I love all your ideas! I don't think I have time to collect milk cartons for the igloo (great idea for next year). Do you have any pictures of the Elves have entered the building?

Jinger

Jinger

teacher
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I don't really see a danger of too much Christian stuff during the holidays. I don't see hardly any ideas that have anything to do with the Nativity. If a Christian school can't even do a Christian theme for Christmas, what has the world come to?

frogcreek

frogcreek

Christmas around the world
Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I need to decorate my classroom door for a Christmas around the world theme. I chose England. I have lots of info on traditions, but not sure how to make it into a cool door. Any ideas?

Nurse Shawna

Nurse Shawna

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

We always have door decorating contests at our hospital. A popular thing that we do is base our door off of favorite christmas songs. The Radiology department last year did the theme "Jingle Bell Rock" and had music notes, records, guitars, snowflakes etc. hanging from the ceiling and the door was a ticket booth like you were going to a concert! Hope this helps!

SC REBS

SC REBS

cookie door
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I also love the cookie door idea! Did you cover the whole door with foil?

Miss V 1969

"Elves Have Entered the Building" question
Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

No, I am afraid I do not have pictures of the elves. However, you can just search for elf face silhouettes in google to find a simple "outline" shape withthe pointed ears. Then just a simple "rounded off" version of a triangle to form the shoes. Loosely crumple up scrap paper and stuff the lunch sacks; not too full. Attach the shoes on the bottom of the bag and the head to the top folded area. Create a hand pattern (maybe even use pipe cleaners for arms) and attach those also. I just used strong box tape to attach the elves to the wall; looped on back of the elves in 2-3 places. They were precious! To round out the Christmas cheer, I hung over a hundred shiny ornaments from the ceiling with fishing line (monafilament), It really was a nice look. We had many visitors come to our campus just to see the display!

Good luck, I hope this helped.
V

MissA1stGrade

Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

It is much easier to cover a door with silver wrapping paper. This is much less time consuming than using foil. It is also a bit sturdier.
LisaOZ

LisaOZ

snow globe idea
Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I was thinking about the snow globe... how about white pipecleaners twisted together(longer) and make them into a half circle( a dome) form attach to door and put saran wrap over the outside.

S. Gray

S. Gray

Zoo Theme
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

Why don't you start out with papering your door in a colorful design. I like the foil wraps for my Christmas Door.

Then you could look around a party-supply stores or just have your students do a cut out to replicate the bars on cages or a wild-life scenario. You could have rocks, dens, waterfalls, anything that you might find in a real zoo. You could have trees included and then do cut-outs or even small stuffed/plastic animals to put directly on the door. You could have window-pane designs to have it look more three dimensional. If you use stuffed animals or perhaps the plastic onces would work better, you can attach these by using the ornament type hangers that come off very easily by just pulling the tab. Hope this helps.