students will not listen to me!!!! - ProTeacher Community

salad

students will not listen to me!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

They have the worst listening skills I have ever seen and therefore never follow directions correctly or complete the work the way it should be done.This has to change.Please help me develop their listening skills.

salad is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvmy3kids

Listening
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in on this one!! I too, have a large class that at least 1/2 have a very hard time listening. Any suggesstions would be welcome!!!
iluvmy3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

taquitas

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

AMEN!!!

I hear you. When I "perform" I get them to pay attention, but then I am completely exhausted at the end of the day.
taquitas is offline   Reply With Quote

polarteach

Me Too!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a class just like just like PP. I'm totally exhausted by the end of the day. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hope everyone has a good day.
polarteach is offline   Reply With Quote

nyongs

Grade 2 sydrome?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This sounds like my class. i almost broke down in tears this afternoon because of stress from the class. They wont listen and they respond so rudely i feel so not in control of their behaviour.

I ve just picked something online i wd like to use, Call a meeting with the principal so they can be threatened alittle, or try reward systems like the money system. I havent tried any of two so im looking foward to tomoro to effect.

I am so exhausted and unhappy. Good luck with yours.

nyongs is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lol.. must be second grade syndrome. My class this year will just raise their voices above mine when I try to give directions! So far nothing in my bag of tricks has worked. One day I opened the door btw. my classroom and the teacher next door and just went to the office to get the principal. When she talked to them , they knew what was expected, they just choose not to do it.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is third graders too
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mine can not listen at all. I have noticed a decline in listening skills over the years, but this year is the worst. I try to find activities that force them to listen, but have not found a whole lot. What do you do to encourage them to listen better?

I found one math workbook that is great, but can't remember the name right now. You give them a special handout with some pictures and a place for their answers. Then there are teacher directions to read aloud. You do not repeat anything! They have to listen and write down their answer. We are on sheet #11 and they are getting better at listening and following directions. Yea!

We also play Sparkle which is a spelling and listening game. They love playing the game and it does force them to listen carefully. They line up in front of you, facing you. You tell them the word. Then the first person in line says the first letter. Then the next person says the second letter and so on until the word is complete. If someone says the wrong letter they are out and need to go sit down. If they do not say anything because they were not listening they are out as well. You do not repeat the word or the last letter for them. The person after the person who says the last letter of the word says, "sparkle". Then the next person is out by chance and returns to his desk to sill down as well. Mine say "bummer" when they are the person after the "sparkle" person. You then give them another word. This continues until only one person is left standing. I give that person a prize from the treasure chest. Then we start another round. It is fun to watch the students standing in line while playing this gave. The students who are visual learners lean forward to see the speaker. I do not allow mine to do this or they have to sit down. I explain that we are trying to make their ears stronger and they have to do the work without visual clues. it drives some of them crazy!

When I give a spelling test I do not want to repeat words a million times so I have a pattern I follow. I say each word. Then use the word in a sentence. Then I say the word again. After I have said five of these I repeat the five words. Then I say, Anyone need a repeat?" If they do I repeat the word again. Then I say, "Going, going, gone". I then will not repeat that set of five words any more and go on to the next five. They are listening so much better now compared to how they did at the beginning of the year. If they do not need any repeats, I always compliment them on their good listening.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaritavill

Here is something to try.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use group points to help manage my classroom. I put their desks in groups (3, 4, etc) then each group works together to come up with a name for their group. I encourage them to come up with a seasonal name that is appropriate. Then I put those names on the board. When I see a group working quietly I make a big deal and say 'Oooh I love the way the Pilgrims are sitting so quietly.' and give them a tally mark by their group name. It takes a few times for the rest of them to catch on. At the end of the week the group with the most points gets to pick a prize out of my prize box.
I like this because the students start to work as a team to earn the points and will 'encourage' each other to quiet down so they can get the point. I do take points away if a group is being disruptive and not getting it. That usually gets their attention.
Margaritavill is offline   Reply With Quote

NYteacher8

Positive rewards!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I completely understand your situation! However a rule in my classroom is to respect your teacher. They get praise when they do and they have to pull their card from green to a yellow (warning) when they don't. The key is to keep very consistent with it and follow through. Any sound at all during a time when you're speaking means to pull their card. If they get to a red, they loose choice time on Friday afternoons and gets a call home. However if they are always listening and doing what they are suppose to be doing,they get a ticket to put in a raffle, on Fridays I pull names from the raffle bin and they can win a prize! It's a lot of work to implement but when it's routine, it's a great system!
NYteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Salad,
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Repeat to yourself several times a day, "I am in charge here!" Don't let your students walk all over you! You can be firm without being overly mean. Talk to the students about what constitutes good listening. I have a poster that I think came from my local teacher store; it's called Rules for Good Listening. It shows a boy sitting at his desk and says "Eyes on the speaker, hands on your desk, ears listening, feet quiet, voice off." Make sure you don't attempt to give instructions without everyone showing you good listening. Calmly say that you can wait, and if you have to work through recess, then that's the way it has to be. Students don't come to us knowing how to be good listeners and learners; we have to teach them.

I also agree with the PP who suggested focusing on the positive. You can set up something where, if everyone show excellent listening skills and follows directions, they earn free time, or extra recess, or something you think they would like. Take the time to teach them how to listen, otherwise the rest of your year could be miserable!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

gyrlie1973

Getting their attention
Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I find that if I feel I have a lot to cover, I hurry things along, even if the class may not be settled. I am learning (finally!) to use "wait time" to my advantage, then praise those kids who are ready to listen (i.e. Thanks to Jane who is ready to go. I can see that x, y and z are ready to go). Ask a student to pick 2 good sitters (I have them choose a boy and a girl). I also play a game where I say, "If you can hear me, touch your nose. If you can hear me, touch you shoulder". I don't do the actions, so they have to be able to hear me (or be looking at someone else!) I'll sing a verse of any song to get their attention and almost everyone joins in, but certainly settles. If kids have been sitting for more than 20mins. we play a quick game of Simon Says. (I saw Trevor Calkins of "The Power of 10" fame, last year and he says that even the act of standing up will reset your brain.)
HTH! Christmas vacation is just around the corner!
gyrlie1973 is offline   Reply With Quote