saying goodbye.... how do i tell my students i am leaving them - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

saying goodbye.... how do i tell my students i am leaving them

>

dk8

dk8

saying goodbye.... how do i tell my students i am leaving them
Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I reached the decision to retire at the end of Dec. I had no intention of retiring this year, nevermind in the middle of the year.... I was involuntarily transferred to a new school after being in one that I loved for 17 years..... I gave the new school a good try, but there were too many unpleasant factors that made it unbearable,...there were other personal issues which pointed the way.... I love helping the kids but can no longer respect the administration and its policies.. anyway, how do I tell my students that I am leaving them after the holidays... I have become cynical and no longer want to work non-stop endless hours and not feel professionally satisfied..... I don't want them to think I don't like teaching them.. they are 5th graders and may not understand all of the intricacies and difficulties that go into such a decision....
any advice?

broomrider

Idea
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you claim ill health for yourself or someone in your family?

If you run into them later, you might say that there was a great improvement in the sick person.

You can explain that you love teaching and working with them, but you have other obligations.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

rpzieg

Broomrider... lying???? really??????
Old 11-26-2009, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You don't have to give any reason. Just say the opportunity to retire has come up and you've decided to take it.

My advice --- Don't lie ---
rpzieg is offline   Reply With Quote
dk8

dk8

Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i like the simplicity of your reasoning...... and, that is the basic reality... i had no intention of lying....esp about a family member's health.....

imafive

Party
Old 11-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Let them throw you a party. One of my fondest memories from school was when my 3rd grade teacher retired. She told us about all the things she was going to do. Travel, spoil her grandkids, read... We thought it was so cool!

imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

kteacher10

Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would try to explain that you are eligible to retire and that you would like to do this so that you can spend time with your family and try some new things. I agree with the pp that having a party with your students would be a very positive and happy memory. Good luck!
kteacher10 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hope you were able to end your time there on a positive note!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
dk8

dk8

Old 12-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

yes, i think it is ending positively.... i was upset when i told them... but i read a book called The Retired Kid which stimulated a humorous discussion about retirement and why people retire.... it was funny.... now that's it's real, it's all a little scary, but the transition is going well and the kids will be in good hands....thanks for asking!!!! and, now, to begin the next chapter of ME !!!!
Divine43

Divine43

Ill
Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How do I tell my students that I'm ill and must have surgery this Thursday? I wanted to tell their parents first. Do you have anything I can say to parents and my students. I don't want to lie to them but I really have no desire to go into detail of how serious it really is. Please advise.