PBIS is not for me! - ProTeacher Community

ciounoi

PBIS is not for me!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've experimented with various ways to manage a classroom using ideas from this site and others. I have used such things as 5 star class, giving a privilege at the beginning of the day and threatening to take it away, group incentives, etc, and have also used the various classroom positive behavior incentives that i come across.

This does NOT work for me! Not sure what it is, but I can't do the PBIS and keep a handle on the class (usually nothing big; mainly chattiness). I have found that really, to let kids know that I am in charge, I really just have to say "I am your sub. You are my students. If you even LOOK funny at me, I will take away all of you recess." :-D But in all seriousness, I get a much better class if I start taking/adding points, taking names, moving a clip, etc.

I wonder if this is just me, since many of the subs on this board seem to have better results with positive behavior plans. I look very young (highschool), so I wonder if the kids think that bribing them with extra recess means thhat I am a pushover. This isn't to say that I am not positive in my classroom management - I use a lot of individual stuff, "Look how nicely Johnny is sitting, we should all be like that!" and etcetera, but with the whole class, it just doesn't work for me!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a) what grade level are you in? SOunds like elem...with a 5 star system...if it's that..usually I follow what the teacher uses...whether it's the clips/stairs/take away recess...

b)are you an established sub? most times, kids won't take you seriously if they don't know you, meaning, in these classes that you have been having problems with have you been there before?

c) do you set the tone at the beginning of the class? as a sub (reg. teacher and co-teaching) I've noticed more often than not that "noise level" of tolerance is sooo different from one sub to the next---I've seen subs who can't stand even hanving a pen drop and I've seen subs who couldn't care if the kids talk
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a) definitely elementary. I do use the teacher system that is in place, but I usually have to supplement with my own as well.

b) I work in a big enough district that I'm usually in a new room most days. However, I will be at the same schools very often, so they usually know my face.

c) I try to keep the kids at an if-their-teacher-was-there noise level. I've been in many classrooms where this has essentially been quiet while teaching, any other times quiet talking is acceptable.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Suspended

Ball Three
Suspended

Hi, ciounoi.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To paraphrase an old saying, it sounds like we're teaching different classes
together. I'm in my 3rd year of elementary subbing, and, to paraphrase another
old saying, I've found that nothing succeeds like recess (taking it away, that is.)

I don't announce any rules at the start of class, since I really only have one that's
hard and fast, and it shouldn't come as a shock: when I'm talking, LISTEN UP!!
The first time someone is talking or not paying attention when I'm talking, even if
he was working and not playing, I put his name on the board and politely say he's
lost 5 minutes of recess. If he was working I'll praise his diligence, but I'll make it
very clear that when the kids hear my voice they need to stop, look, and listen.

Enforcing this one rule establishes that I'm in charge, and seems usually to keep
chattiness down without my having to work at it. I never use the teacher's system
if it's different, since I DON'T want kids out of their seats pulling cards, etc.

I tend to treat the kids as if they were young adults. I may CALL them kids in
class, but I ADDRESS them as "ladies and gentlemen," and try not to talk down to
them. I always bring my guitar to class, and sing them a song or two if we have
time, but I don't sing them kid songs. I sing them a mixture of country standards
and some of my own.

By the same token, though I often praise the whole class or individual kids, I don't
give the kids childish rewards, though sometimes they'll say, "Mrs. X gives us
(whatever) if we're good." By the time they explained the system to me,
the day would be over.

If a class won't quiet down, I'll keep most or even all of the class in at recess, with
their heads down, if necessary. Sure they need recess, but if they're that wild they've been having recess all day, and enough is enough.

Sounds to me like you're doing fine. Good luck.

Last edited by Ball Three; 11-24-2009 at 09:20 AM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote