Putting laminate flooring in a double wide? - ProTeacher Community

ggluvbug

Putting laminate flooring in a double wide?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever done this before? We bought our place 3 years ago. Between the 3 kids and 3 dogs, the carpets are just not pretty. I shampoo them every 2 weeks and vacuum daily, but I just can't keep the carpet looking good. Partly cheap materials, I guess, and partly lots of traffic. Anyway, my husband and I have decided to buy new blinds and new flooring when we get our tax return. I guess I am slightly concerned about putting the flooring down because a mobile home is different than a house. Granted, we bought a very nice one and it is only 3 years old, but I am still wondering if it is harder to put in a laminate in a double wide? Anyone with experience?
Thanks.

kas327

Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I asked my dh, he's a carpenter, and he said it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you use the correct under layment and a the correct vapor barrier. This means nothing to me, but I am sure if you talk to your local home improvement store, they can help you out.

Tiffany

laminate flooring
Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do it! You'll be glad you did.

Our first home was a double wide. We ripped all the carpets out and put laminate in. We didn't have any issues other than where the 2 parts meet, the floor was slightly uneven. My husband used floor leveling cement to smooth out it out-the floors MUST be level or you will have problems. Another trick to laminate flooring is to not put it in too tight-the floor "floats", whatever that means. Follow the directions on the packaging about leaving space between the flooring and the wall. If you don't, the floor will buckle. My only other advice is to not go with too dark of a color-it shows everything!

ggluvbug

Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have kind of medium cherry wood colored furniture, so I thought we should go with the same. Would a lighter shade of cherry wood be okay?
Did you all have experience with home improvements before you did it? Also, since the walls in a double wide don't have a traditional floorboard, what did you put down to make the edges look finished?

Miller

Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

we had a raised house and you have to put down the stuff to level the floor out.

have you done google research on flooring raised homes? I"m sure they have that or on the DIY network

Tiffany

laminate flooring
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is the shade we had...it showed everything, including sweaty footprints. It looked beautiful right after it was cleaned. It didn't stay clean for long with 2 kids under the age of 5 running around.

http://www.amazon.com/Laminate-Floor.../dp/B000OE42M4

DH just said that the floor has to be 1/8 to a 1/4 inch away from the walls. Tape the foam padding (moisture barrier) down to hold it in place and it will go easier.

We put baseboard molding down after the floor was installed. Don't put it flush to the floor; leave it up about 1/16 inch. Just make sure it isn't pushing down on the floor.

DH is very handy; he can do just about anything in the house home improvement-wise. However, my friend's husband is not handy at all and he installed the laminate flooring by himself. The hardest part about this flooring is getting it started.

Good luck!

Carolyn

new flooring
Old 12-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We live in a two-piece modular house. DH put a wood floor in our house during the summer of last year. It looks great and is so much nicer to look at and easier to clean than the carpet we had!

speeder1

Do it
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a double wide and we put down Cherry laminate floors down about 18 months ago. We have not regretted it. We do use the swiffer a lot but instead of using the expensive pads, we use microfiber cloths and it works better without streaking. I think you will be happy with the results.