Favorite Holiday Read Alouds - ProTeacher Community

ovrjoyd4u2

Favorite Holiday Read Alouds
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What book is on your "must read" list for the holiday season?

Mine-

A Christmas Extravaganza by David Shannon.

A humorous and vividly described detailed story of a man who takes decorating for the holidays too far. Great for visualization, word choice and teaching the message of determining what is important about the holidays.

ovrjoyd4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BestYet

Christmas Read aloud
Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My all time favorite would be The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey and of course The Polar Express.
We are not allowed to watch movies in our building, but we have watched the Polar Express, because we had learning activities to go with it. The children have watched "The Polar Express several years in a row and do not want to watch it this year.
BestYet is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Mine
Old 12-06-2009, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Silver Packages by Cynthia Rylant-Rylant traces the origins of an Appalachian "Christmas Train" that travels through the mountains each year on December 23 to a rich man who wished to repay a debt of kindness he had received many years before. He faithfully returns and tosses silver packages from the caboose to the coal-town children who wait by the tracks. One such child is Frankie, who longs for a doctor's kit every year; instead he gets much-needed socks or mittens along with small toys. As an adult, he moves back to the town to live and work, having fulfilled his dream of becoming a doctor. With her clear, balanced, and well-paced storyteller's voice, the author builds the anticipation and excitement that the children and especially Frankie feel at the train's annual arrival. Good for inferring, determining importance, etc.

Welcome Comfort by Patricia Polocco- Welcome Comfort is an overweight foster child who knows loneliness well, but finds acceptance and solace in his friendship with the new school custodian, Quintin Hamp. It is through his influence that Welcome learns that "believin' is seein.'" The Hamps become a stable and lasting force in his life, even though they take a mysterious vacation north every year on Christmas Eve. One year the young man and his new bride are invited along and readers learn that Welcome has been groomed over the years to become the next Santa Claus. A touching and enjoyable story that reads well aloud. Another one good for inferring, determing importance, etc.
parker is online now   Reply With Quote

newpalmetto

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins- great story and kids need to know that people celebrate holidays other than Christmas
newpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for these ideas. Last week I ordered The Christmas Rat by Avi, thinking that it was a book about Christmas--wrong!!! It is about a crazy military man turned exterminator trying to kill a rat before Christmas.

It love the idea of reading a different picture book for the various winter holidays! With all the interruptions we will have this month it takes the pressure off trying to finish a novel by the 18th.

NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

I'll second
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

parker's picks! I'd add Trees of the Dancing Goats also by Patricia Polacco. This is a story of giving and caring. There are also several storybooks by Richard Paul Evans that I enjoy reading aloud each year. The Christmas Candle and The Light of Christmas are 2 of them.
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
logged out

logged out

Peef
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Peef, the Christmas Bear by by Tom Hegg and Warren Hanson

This picture book makes ME cry each year!

tripteach

Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The Night Tree by eve bunting is one of my all-time favorites

I also love The Polar Express...of course

trip
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote