ending blends lt, ft, lp,mp - ProTeacher Community

primary1tchr

ending blends lt, ft, lp,mp
Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I spent a week on this spealling feature. I have 22 students. Their spelling test showed that I must've not done a good job. I had 5 F's, 4 D's and 3 C's.
We did word sorts under picture with same end blend. We circled blend, wrote blend, wrote word. We segmented and blended.
I feel like I didn't do a great job. Should I move on to the next spelling feature or stay here another week? Some kids cannot "hear" that first consonant in the blend.
Have you taught it a different way so they grasped it?
Thanks

primary1tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

JoelAvamom

Don't move on
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't move on...... do it again. Take your time , we do lots of practice of these wors over and over and over for weeks because it is hard, they eventually get it.
JoelAvamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree...try it again. I teach first as well and just did a couple of those blends. It really sounds like you did a LOT! Do you have a Smartboard? I did some activities on there with blends. Maybe you could try writing the letters of the blends on paper (so an "f" on one and a "t" on the other for example) and have kids join together so there is a "real" blend happening in front of them? You could put in more letters to make real words after that--soft, lift, left, etc.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

Making words with cards
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

emphasizes stretching out the sounds in words. Maybe that activity might help.
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

wingmanmom

elkonin boxes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In addition to all of the activities we do for final blends, I include the Elkonin boxes. But in the final box I draw 2 small underlines indicating there are two letters to write in the box to make that final sound. This comes AFTER they are phonemically aware of the actual sound (identifying words that have that same sound etc).
Start with one blend (not even asking them to vary the blends) so they get the idea. Then I put 2 or three blends at the top of the page and tell them that each word I dictate will end with one of those blends. Eventually, after much practice, they are able to retrieve the blend they hear without the boxes or the clues at the top of the page. The smartboard is a great tool if you have one!
I have my deck of letter cards (consonants, vowels, digraphs, blends). Every blend is in the deck and we review every day.
1. I flash the card and they say the sound.
2. I say the sound, they tell me what two letters make the sound and I write it on the board.
3 I say the sound, they write it on their dry erase boards or paper.

But be patient.......this is a skill that requires LOTS of practice. A week is just the tip of the iceberg. They will get it but I would not move on yet given the results of your assessment. Good luck!

wingmanmom is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

Pyramid Word Writing
Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try giving them two different endings to sort words by and then write each set in a pyramid format. This way they really have to focus on the endings. You may have already tried this
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

primary1tchr

I agree - reteach
Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for GREAT ideas. I'm so glad you agreed with my inner thoughts of not moving on. I have a very structured spelling block (phoemic awareness, phonics, poem, seg/blend words, sight words. I use Phonetic Connections, so each component is involved. My students have done great with l blends, s blends, and final s blends, but whoa! moving to the lt, ft, lp, mp, totally tripped them out.
I also feel to the reason they didn't do so well with words that involve these blends is due to no background knowledge with the words. There really is no picture for them to actually see to say the word when we are working with phonelogical awareness.
I love all kinds of sorts. I see so much growth in my student's writing ability when I work with pic sorts, word sorts, and matching a choice of 3 words to a pic that has the same blend. (I'm trying to get them ready for the lovely SAT 10 test)

Next week we are moving on to consonant clusters (nt, nd, ng), but I've changed my mind. I hate it for those who scored A's and B's. Guess it wouldn't hurt for them to have a review.

Thanks so much.
primary1tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

One more thought...
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In addition to my grade one classroom position, I also work with teenagers who are beginning readers or sight readers who are stuck because they can't read much past the sight word level of grade 2 or 3 at best. Of course, since they are basically memorizing words and don't understand that words are series of sounds represented by letters, they have incredible difficulty with spelling as well.

One thing I have found is to record for them both words: the correct word/and what they have spelled.

For example:

jup
jump

Have them analyze the difference between the two. Have them sound out their own misspelled word so that they can understand the difference.

Good luck and just keep at it!

Kerry in BC

Last edited by cvolcteacher; 12-12-2009 at 04:30 PM..
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 12-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Probably not going to be much help to you, but....Developmental research indicates that second graders dont actually hear the final blends. Most of them just remember words that use them. However, I would spend another few lessons and then move on. Of course ask yourself if these are kids who generally take a little longer to catch on or not. Good luck
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote