Help

ARCHIVE

Smart Boards or other?

>

kyteacher

Smart Boards or other?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some advice on which technology would be the most beneficial for a one computer classroom if given the choice.
I am looking at
a Smart Board
a class set of handheld interactive remotes
and
an in-focus machine for my classroom.
Which do you find the most beneficial in your own classroom OR which one would you perfer to have if offered?

kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy24

Not sure
Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

what the handheld interactives or the in focus machine is, but I have access to a Smartboard that I could use daily and I haven't. It's so cumbersome to set up and I haven't seen the benefit of it except when we play Jeopardy and the kids can touch the screen. I do have access to a lightbox in my ceiling, a laptop, and my own ELMO and I use those daily. I love my ELMO! You do need the lightbox too though.
Judy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhiestan

smartboards
Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have two smartboards in our school, to be shared between all teachers, and one permanently installed in the computer lab. I have used the one in the computer lab fairly often, but like the other poster said, it is really too cumbersome to bring one to my classroom. If it was going to be permanently placed in your room, I would say it would be a great investment. What grade do you teach? We use it in first grade for interactive manipulatives in math, to practice word wall words, etc. Even if you don't use the interactive aspect of it, it will at least be a big computer screen that all of your students can see at the same time. But you will need a projector to use the smart board. I am not sure what an in focus machine is. When I googled it, it looked like a type of projector... You will need a projector to use the smart board.

Hope this rambling helps!
mhiestan is offline   Reply With Quote

Barbryan

Smart Board
Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My vote is for the SmartBoard! I find new ways to use it every day, and the students remain engaged in the lesson throughout. Lucky you to be faced with such a choice!
Barbryan is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Lucky School
Old 10-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All our classrooms have installed SMARTBoards (and projectors--don't forget that you need to buy that). We also have several sets of the blue clickers (CPS?). Our teachers don't know what we'd do if we had to teach without a SMARTBoard--it's so easy to whip up a picture of something; have them interact with curriculum (move words around to create compound words; watch BrainPop videos and take quizzes; write a math problem up there and solve it--okay, you can do that on the white/chalkboard, but there is some novelty to it!) I don't use the blue clickers very often, because it does take quite a bit of time to create the questions and answers. Also, people say it grades tests quickly, but I always seem to have at least one kid who gets off on the answers and I have to check everything by hand anyway. I don't know what an in-focus machine is (one of those projectors?). I'd get a SMARTBoard.

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the idea of a smartboard -- but be sure it's permanent. A moveable and shared smartboard is a great idea, but not only is it cumbersome and a pain to move back and forth, but the non-mounted boards and the projectors on carts or desks or what not (as opposed to ceiling mounted, or permanently housed somewhere) often go out of alignment and I have to realign 3-4 times per class period. NOw with that being said -- it's possible to make adjustments to the way you teach and the flow of traffic and the way kids interact with the boards, but if you have one permanently installed this is greatly decreased!

That out of the way... the programming and lessons and excitement you can add to your teaching is wonderful! Be sure to work in the cost of the projector and a laptop or desktop that has the power/speed to run the program.

Good luck!
Marg
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm not gung-ho about SmartBoards either. I have had one for 5 years and probably haven't used it 50 times. I love having an LCD and prefer to project on a screen as the image is bigger. I would like ot have the class-set of handheld interactive remotes. If I know what you are talking about, you can project a question and the kids answer with the remote. The data is stored and you can retrieve it later to assign grades. What could be easier for giving assessments or playing games?

If you don't already have an LCD though, that would be the first thing I'd buy after a computer for the teacher to use. I can hardly imagine teaching without one or without 3 computers for the kids to rotate through.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

momfirst

Smartboard
Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

SMartboard- hands down! The opportunities are endless for instructional uses!! combine it with powerpoint and online sites/games and oh my goodness-it takes learning and practice to a new level. Jsut be willing to take the time to learn about it. The kids LOVE it! The handhelds are fun but are defintiely limited in what they can do compared to a Smartboard.
momfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2all

Smart board
Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Every teacher in our school has a smart board in our classrooms. It is not the type that you move. Every time I think that I'm using my smart board to its fullest we learn new things to use them for- ie we just found out about the speller software (allows you to put your own spelling list in and then the students have to come up and spell the words correctly- sound effects and all) and number cruncher that allows you to practice math skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
You can always add the class set of remotes later (our school is buying those this year).
I would make sure that along w/ the projector, which you have to have, you also make sure that you have a scanner. We have scanned all work book sheets into our computer to pull up on the smart board during the lessons.
I don't know what I would do without my smart board.
teach2all is offline   Reply With Quote

gingteach1

Smartboard
Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a smartboard but I do have a projector that I use on my white dry erase board. The lady who teaches next to me has a smartboard. Since our school/district can not fund a Smartboard in everyclass room, me and my neighbor suggested to PTO and the principal that she could buy projectors ($600-1,000) each for every clasroom since the $5,000 per smart board will take forever.

I use my LCD projector for every subject, me and another teacher have found various websites for the students to interact with to teach the reading, math and science skills.

I don't know what I would do without this use of technology. You should see us when the internet is down we sometimes do know what to do then we use Smartnotebook and Powerpoint to get the skill addressed.

This really helps the visual learners.

gingteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

I vote for a Smartboard
Old 10-02-2006, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last August one was put up in my room. It is my only board so I use it daily. The kids love it and always want to participate. They think it is soooo cool. Even those with learning difficulties and behavior problems tune in when it is on.

There is so much to download and to use it for. I type notes and kids copy them, I play games, I bring things up from the internet and the kids can all see it at one time.

There are so many interactive games and fun things to do with the Smartboard.

THe kids probably know more about it than me. Its really funny. Many of the kids have went on to the internet and learned how to use it.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

doona

Definately a Smart Board
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My vote is for a SmartBoard. I love it. It's so interactive and even my children with learning disabilities are engaged and focussed. Like a pp said make sure it will be permanently in your room. Portable ones are really cumbersome. To get the most benefit it needs to be in a classroom all day. Not as successful if it is in a computer room that you can only use once a week. I can't imagine teaching without it now!
doona is offline   Reply With Quote

mezimmer

Spelling software
Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Teach2all, Do you know the name of the spelling software that you use? It sounds like just what I am looking for!

Last edited by mezimmer; 05-15-2008 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: To direct comment to a specific person
mezimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

SMARTboard
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think if I had to give up my SMARTboard, I would buy my own. That is how committed I am to it and how important it is. You do need a projector. Next year I am getting a set of clickers(Senteo) to use and I can't wait! The kids love love love the SMARTboard, and so do I!!!
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

stephanie

Smartboard
Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am supposed to get a Smartboard for next year! I was excited about it before I read these posts, now I can hardly wait!!
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote