Fun/successful ways to teach dbl. digit multi - ProTeacher Community

TeacherCarrie

Fun/successful ways to teach dbl. digit multi
Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have lessons, suggestions, tips on teaching double digit multiplication to first timers?

My district unfortunately uses TERC math curriculum. With out very very high level of English Learners this has done horrors to the skills needed to move on to harder topics such as double digit mulitplication. My fourth graders are having a hard time learning it...I am supplementing it on my own b/c TERC doesn't teach the process of double digit mulitplication.

I just want some successful and unique ways to teach it. Anyone?

Thanks so much!

TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

loonfourth

2-digit Multiplication
Old 10-01-2006, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried lattice? Most of my 4th graders prefer that method
loonfourth is offline   Reply With Quote

nanz

Stretch Multipplication
Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use stretch multiplication to first introduce the concept of 2-digit multiplication to my fourth graders. I think it is an AIMS activity. The basic concept is to stretch each digit out to represent its value (expanded notation) and multiply each part. The partial products are then added together. For example: 23 x 45 => (20 x 5) + (3 X 5) + (20 x 40) + (3 x 40)

I tried typing this in a more standard format, but was unable to get it to line up correctly when I previewed its posting. I hope my example is understandable.
nanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Two things that helped
Old 10-02-2006, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Use grid paper so that the columns are kept straight. Make yourself one on the white board too.

Use four different colored markers to demonstrate on the board. Copy the problem in black. Multiply by the one's number using blue. Multiply by the ten's number using green; be sure to put in the place holding zero (some teachers write an x across it. Add the total using red. This helps students see the steps used in solving.

Hope this helps.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OMGoodness...I totally forgot about the lattice method that I learned in a Teacher's Math Class in college.

These are all great ideas...thanks ladies! Any one else have any wonderful ideas?

TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

grade4curlyQ

Multiplication
Old 10-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We're on this skill too. Grid paper is absolutely necessary! Also, explicit numerical representation reinforces the place value and helps my beginners understand the shortcut better when it comes time to introduce it.

See attachment. All of mine but 2 out of 26 really understand the explicit representation. They (those 2) struggle with place value still!

I've been a fiddle fingers with attachments today so I hope I get this one right.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Explicit Numerical Representation.doc (23.5 KB, 667 views)
grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

AmyH

Lattice
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Kids prefer Lattice Multiplication... it's easy, fun and they get the right answer.. I highly recommend it for double digit multiplication. However, I do not allow it for multi-digit times single digit... They do that the regular way and then I make them do it in their heads (well, most of them)..
AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote

Kerri

Stretch to Lattice
Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I begin teaching double digit multiplication using stretch multiplication first because it is easy for the students to see the steps and the place value involved. I then transition into lattice, explaining how the steps of stretch match up with lattice. I then allow the students to choose the method of multiplication they are going to use when solving problems on their own. I know this is probably controversial, but I do not teach the "traditional" method of multiplication until the end of the year after testing. I have found that my students think they have to use it and are not successful in remembering all of the steps. They then get the problems wrong when they could have solved them correctly using lattice or stretch.
Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote