Unemployed Teacher - ProTeacher Community

Chrismar

Chrismar

Unemployed Teacher
Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if there are some more unemployed teachers out there besides myself.
Did you search the whole summer and get no leads at all like me?

Do you see the look of "oh that is nothing" on a interviewer's face wehn you tell him/her that you have an education degree?

Yes..I am feeling sorry for myself.

cmhteacher

cmhteacher

you are not alone
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I interviewed, two to be exact and now am subbing and truly making the best of it. I found that the more positive I am the better the day goes and the more calls I get. I know that sounds like oversimplification, but sometimes we need to remember the little things that truly are the big things. Lots of us were writing toward the end of summer. Some were hired and some not. Some had to go find other jobs and some are subbing. Some are thoroughly depressed over it. Lots to think about. But thought you'd like to know that you aren't alone. And it is okay to feel sorry, just don't let it ruin your life!

If you can stick it out as a sub then you will gain super great experience and will get known. Good luck and keep your eyes on the horizon.
celeste

doby88

Yup you are definitely not alone...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too am subbing and felt down in the dumps for not being hired this summer. I had two routes to go either in teaching or as a school counselor and neither hired me full time. I now realize that it is actually kind of nice having this time off and being able to do what I want and when I want without having to work around a school schedule. I am taking things in stride and making the best of what I am doing like cmhteacher says gain the experience and not give up eventually we will ALL find a full time teaching or for me counseling position of our dreams.
Chrismar

Chrismar

re
Old 10-02-2006, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks for your support. However,, I am seriously thinking about going back to school for a brand new career!!

Lisa 5

Lisa 5

I Understand
Old 10-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I positively subbed and volunteered and worked as an EA for over 15 years. Now at almost age 50 - I am applying to a Practical Nursing program, Looking into teaching English overseas (now have the child out on her own - so looking for an adventure), and applying for any job out there besides the retail one I have now. I wasted too many years - being promised a teaching job next year, looking for teaching jobs all over the USA and just trying to work survival jobs. Finally I woke up and smelled the coffee - stopped registering and taking Master level classes to renew my teaching license - and going into further debt for teacher training. Currently I don't even want to sub - they prefer to call non teachers - because in my area - they can pay them less money.
Other countries want teachers - here we are a dime a dozen.

IWannaB1

IWannaB1

Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too, was not hired - and this was my second summer.
I've stayed away from the bb because I became and still fighting the depression of not being able to teach or have my own classroom.

I went to help from my honor society, teaching mentorship associations, my ROE and everyone that I could think of. It is a very sad state of affairs -- Sylvan and Huntington are overcrowded with teachers that are tutoring, and even that is not an avenue.

Unfortunately, I cannot return to school for some additional or new study. I have a daughter who will be heading off to college in about 1.5 years so I cannot afford it. I don't have a job right now and I have tried to find one - but being older, I cannot apply for the receptionists/front desk ones and all that is left is christmas retail ones.

Take care everyone.

IMSaved2

Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been searching for 4 years. I left the Corporate world after 20+ years because I love teaching. Now elementary teachers are a dime a dozen and the districts around here seem to prefer the 21 year old newly graduated, vs the 44 year old woman with life experience.

I currently work as a Literacy Coach with a "newbie" tutor who thinks and claims she knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING and has commented that she has not seen anyone teach this and that CORRECTLY. I KNOW I will never reach the point where I know everything - I am NOT GOD, but I love to learn as much as I can.

I'm sure she'll find a teaching job before I do. I pray for her students. Maybe I'll go back to administration.

thiswayup

oh boy,
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

you hit the nail on the head!
I am now wondering if I should have left my low paying private school teaching job (paid hourly and sometimes only worked half days) to sub teach in public. I love the kids but I hate the uncertainty of not knowing if I have work or not. My son, who is 15, ordered his class ring this year... that crept up on us. I have absolutely no idea how we will pay the balance...and we got the cheapest ring! I wanted him to wait until next year when, maybe, I would be working full-time, but my hubby wanted him to have one now, so...
If we were more financially stable, I wouldn't worry so much. But going back for another certification made more bills, etc (well in my state, we HAVE TO keep up with credits to keep our certification active).
You would think that Administrations would want older, more experienced teachers. Maybe we are too set in our ways and they can't mold us to what they want...

Elise82

My prior job, similar to Thiswayup's
Old 10-05-2006, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I, too, left a job as an instructional assistant with great benefits, to go back to school and get certified! Now, when you factor in the benefits I was getting plus the decent hourly wage (about $12/hr.) when I left that job, I was making out *far* better per month doing that than I am subbing (because I only average 2 1/2-3 full days per week)! Plus, I also hate the unpredictability of subbing- not knowing when I will work, nor having a set income per month I can count on. It's just not working out for me...

So, I am now looking for any fairly decent-paying full-time job (education related or not) that will also give me benefits. Anybody have any ideas? (I am certified Elem. K-8, and have an AA degree in ECE, too. But working with kids is all I've ever done - my office skills are limited! )

IMHISTORY

Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I did everything to get a teaching job for 5 years. (I left my Jr. High teaching position after baby #2)

Lisa, I am now in nursing school. This has been the greatest decision I have made. I am loving it! Good Luck to you all.
mary1214

mary1214

another out of work teacher
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi,
I am also a teacher who has not found a job. I am trying to get an admin job at a college as there are a lot in my area. You dont need great office skills just the basics (word , excel) I t is a good atmosphere, and you can also get free tuition for grad school. It is one option,

sad

sad

Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have graduated from a Canadian university and I am a certified teacher. I have been subbing for two years and I hate it. Teacher's in Canadian classrooms are very teritorial and do not share at all. They are threated even by middle aged teachers like myself. Teaching is not what I thought it would be. I am miserable not because of the children, but because of the politics around the job. I have tried for two years to be happy and bubbly to get the calls to sub and I get them, but every week I can't count on anything. I am living a small northern town and you can only get hired full time if you know someone - pure nepetism. I have no idea how I can help to pay my bills either. I guess I have to resort to a mall job - which won't even cover my daycare bill! I have so much to offer and give and SHARE and no one can see it. The only true teacher I can be is one to my children. I am too old now to start another career, but I sure wish I would have never left the cold corporate world - it was better than this, and the money was better too. I shoulda stuck it out.

Just Looking

Just Looking

Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It is really scary out there that they claim that there is such a cry for teachers when you can't seem to find a job unless you know someone. Schools are very political and it's all about who you know. I've applied 2 years and out of all the districts I applied to, only one called back for a "phone interview" which of course I didn't get. Good luck to us all!

Old Shoe

Old Shoe

unemployed 19 yr veteran
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I did a google on unemployed teacher just to see if there were others like me. I'm so depressed. I love teaching elementary school and feel like an old tossed away shoe. Where is the value and respect of older, experienced teachers. I had to quit my last position to take care of my aging mother and move in with her. It's been so scary and I feel lost. Everybody keeps saying, "I don't know why you can't find anything, I've heard there is a teacher shortage." What teacher shortage?

sad

sad

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Okay, I wanted to get back to you all to tell you how I've tried to solve my "unemployed" teaching situation. I'm the one from Canada in the small northern town surrounded by nepetism - remember? Anyhow I am still always waiting for the phone to ring to get a sub job here and there and can never count on a full cheque to pay my bills. I applied at the local Nygard Fasion Outlet store out of desperation to get some money coming in. I get paid only $9.00 an hour at this job (which is below minimum wage in Canada). My daycare bill is $35 a day - so I have to work the first few hours for free in order to bring home $30 a day. Horrible! Anyhow when I was subbing I convinced my employer at Nygard to let me advertise with flyers for deals that are for teachers - maybe 2 for 1 or a $5.00 discount coupon. The flyers have worked well, and because of it I have been able to pick up a few more shifts. Its not the best scenario, but I wanted to demonstrate that if you try hard enough and you are desperate enough, you will dream up a way to get the work. It's not for everyone, but worth a try for those of you at "other" jobs. Let me know if you have any other ideas for getting more work...I'd love to try them!

katelynn

katelynn

re
Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

No offense, but not everyone would be given permission to do what you did wiith the fliers. Some corporations dont give coupons to select individuals.

And even though you were quite creative..you didnt find anything in EDUCATION.

The fact is ...teaching jobs are extremely hard to find...colleges dont care that the students dont find jobs.
And the areas that REALLY need teachers..most of them have HORRIBLE working conditions.

Hoping

Hoping

Old 02-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Actually she did find more work in EDUCATION...more shifts = more experience = more call backs. That's how it works. You have to get out there, demonstrate your teaching skills and surround yourself with positive thoughts. Negative thoughts will get you nowhere and make you more bitter.

Your right about the college not caring. Why should they? It's not their business to find jobs, they just train people.

Don't let this eat you up. Keep trying. Don't give up, it's too soon to quit.

Duh

Duh

give me a break
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This is late coming, but perhaps others will happen upon it as I did. Some of the people posting with their little rose-colored glasses on need a kick in the pants for their stupid ideas. And excusing colleges of education for the poor job they do in honestly presenting teaching as a career (which it isn't) is itself unexcusable.

bookwrm46

bookwrm46

Unemployed teacher over 50
Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I too, am an unemployed teacher over 50. Teachers in this country,
the great US of A, have a problem. There is supposedly a teacher
shortage, but the school districts in my state do not want to pay
teachers what they are worth. They do not respect teacehrs who
have had experience, 25 years to be exact. They want to hire the
young newbies coming up and pay them less. This hurts our school
children, because they are the ones that benefit from a teacher with
lots of experience. I have resorted to substitute teaching, where I
have been treated to feel like a young teacher. There is no respect
for overage teachers, we are left out in the field to simply hang on
or die. I choose to hang on and start a new career. Our educational
system has gone to the dogs and it is our poor children that suffer
for it. It makes me so sick, I am getting out of it!!! Anyway, this seems
to be the state of education In Oklahoma and probably everywhere
else in the U.S. From an Oklahoma Unemployed Teacher over 50

"Mr. T"

"Mr. T"

Former Teacher, changing Careers
Old 04-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

If that is truly what you want to do, lucky for you. I got out of teaching after 21 years. I am over 50, I had stayed out of it awhile and came back to it (Music). Liked it for a while, then the politics and the pressure started, and I couldn't stand it. I was transferred to a regular subject and classroom which was not my passion and I hated it. Time to move on. But I am fighting depression, $10/hr jobs and stigma of being a former teacher (Why would you give up $57,000 a year?" type questions or attitudes, more than my "apparent" age?), and a bad economy in MI. Outsourcing has become the popular solution to hire subs so they don't have to subsidize benefits or retirement plans. I don't want to sub either. I don't have a masters but bachelors plus. Now I don't know where I fit in or what I want to do with the rest of my life, and how much money I think I can really make. I am unmotivated but have debt looming over my head soon. Cannot collect meager retirement until after 60. My life sucks, like a vacume cleaner......a bachelor degree means nothing unless it's health careers or computers, or maybe accounting. Especially if you are middle aged. For Christ's sake , I'm not trying out for American Idol...........but I would like Simon's job..............

sadi

sadi

starting out
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes, I looked all summer - this is my second summer - and where am I? A preschool teacher at a daycare center that has a PhD in BS. I just received a raise - ONE WHOLE DOLLAR! I am in my second year trying to finish my Med with a minor in reading - is it worth it?
I wish I lived where you live that won't hire experienced teachers but the young ones...it is the exact opposite here. Nobody even wants to give me a chance because I am 25 without any public school experience. How am supposed to get the experience if nobody is hiring me?
What really bothers me is that people go the "emergency certification" route and are hired over people that have spent THOUSANDS of dollars and YEARS of dedication.
I am also down in the dumps, frustrated and stressed out about how I am supposed to pay my bills...you're far from alone.

freelancer

freelancer

I'm also unemployed
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This is my first summer looking for a position. I too can't understand how school districts will hire "teachers" who go through the emergency certification route or have no certification over teachers who have spent years in education classes earning their certificates. I have two certifications and no job prospects.

I guess I'm not really depressed... I try not to let it get to me. I've been in tough situations before and I have always persevered. We've just got to hope for the best. :-)

Black Void

Black Void

Unemployed Teacher
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Hello, everyone

I'm beginning to think that this course of action was a complete and total mistake. I would never tell any male to go into a mostly all female profession.

This is my second summer trying to find a teaching job and all I get is a few interviews while all my fellow interns got jobs right away. Now, my current boss who has just moved into the area tells me how she had 6 inteviews with the local county. I haven't had a single one. In so much simple words the county told me that "I'm no good" and don't even bother trying.

Right now I work at a before and after school program making hardly any money. I'm constantly told how I don't make enough money, etc, etc, while I watch idiots with no degree's whatsoever making over $100,000 a year. I have a degree in business, one in information technology and a Masters in Elementary Ed. What a total waste of time. Do yourselves a favor, tell any you person not to waste there time or money on college and go into the military. Also, if they want to go into an all female profession then they better get a good attorney to fight all the fall sexual harassment charges and stuff like that.

Broke n Down

Broke n Down

Hey Howdy Hey
Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am in California. I am 40 years old with a credential in English and in Drama. There are jobs available, but they are strewn from one end of the state to the other. I am a single mom to a teenager--can't really pack up and roll easily to another town. Besides that, between the price of gas and the impending cloud of repaying my student loans, I will be lucky to live in a cardboard box--even if I DO find a full-time position. I am putting in applications, but I haven't gotten any calls yet. Hopefully, the state budget issues will be resolved and that will open up more hiring. Right now, it is looking pretty grim. In my student teaching course at the university, they realized we were all looking to a tough road. They brought in some new-to-the-profession teachers to give us an idea what we would be up against. One was working in the business end of a tutoring center. She encouraged us to look for work there--but now they aren't hiring. Another was a first year teacher who had gotten the new teacher of the year award from her school--and the VERY next day was given a pink slip. It is hard to keep your chin up, but what else can you do?

IMSaved2

Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Praying for all of us.
mathcrazy

mathcrazy

Unemployed Math Teacher
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I'm a Math teacher with 5 years experience. Especially my last two years were great! My students' grades were improving, I had a safe classroom environment, there was mutual respect, etc...

Then my principal informed me right before the summer of 2008 he had to let me go. Supposebly I didn't know how to engage my students more (?!?!). I was shocked! This is the last thing I expected. Now, the new school year has started and I am still without a teaching position. It is so frustrating and depressing!!! Everybody says:"I thought Math teacher are wanted, blablabla...". It is so annoying to hear! Anyways, I am thinking about a career change, like: teller at a bank, nursing, firefighter. Anything, that has some future :-(

Teresa04

Teresa04

fed up teacher
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

It is comforting to know there are others out there like me, even though I wish it wasnt the case. It is too bad that America does not value education as much as they should. Just like many other professionals out there, lawyers, counselors, therapists, teachers too are professionals. The majority of the American public thinks they can pay the average teacher peanuts, cram 24 kids in a classroom and get progressive results. Wrong.
I want to know why a good teacher like me, New York State Certified, with two years of subbing experience, good morals, cannot find a job while that high school teacher that was sexually harassing 14 yr old girls can get one, and people were actully sticking up for him, trying not to get him fired.
There is something seriously wrong with America, all of our values are being flushed down the toilet. I thought America was supposed to be the land of opportunity. I worked my ass off in school to get to where I am today, and I am still going, persuing my masters. Many days i wonder why.

Oh , and another thing, did anyone catch what Mccain said about education in the debate? He wants to recruite people that have been in the military to become teachers. Im not even going go explain that one, it speaks for itself.

Well, good luck to all you guys searching for jobs. I truely hope all the best for you.

-Fed up in NY

Unemployable

Unemployable

Olas
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Has anyone here applied for teaching jobs through OLAS? It is used in New York State and I think it enables school districts in finding the cheapest, most inexperienced teachers available. How else can you explain that, in over four years of applying to jobs through OLAS, I have not gotten a single interview? The few times that a district has actually accepted paper resumes, I usually DID get an interview. I have ten years of total teaching experience, took a few years off to raise my family, and now do not even have the faintest hope of ever teaching again. Every single job listing on OLAS lists "NY State Certification" as the ONLY requirement for the job. Obviously, school districts want only brand new teachers and are using filtering programs in order to pick and choose which applications they will look at. Does anybody else have a similar problem with OLAS or another online application system? Does anyone know how to beat this application system other than outright lying? I sometimes follow up my online application with paper resumes, but now more and more districts have a "no mailed resumes" policy and require you to apply only through OLAS.

Bill W

Bill W

Math Teacher
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

To math crazy and bookwrm46

I'm in the same boat as you. Left a lucrative career in Nuclear Medicine Technology to teach. Certified in Math, Master's Degree, eight years experience teaching math and science in Middle and Upper Grades. Last school I taught at I received excellent evaluations, students earned exemplary scores on their state test, etc etc. Called in to say that my position was being eliminated due to "budgetary considerations". Next thing you know (miracle of miracles) there is suddenly money in the budget and I'm being replaced by a "kid" 30 years my junior with less experience and credentials. Principals Caprice. I can't prove age discrimination but I suspect it. Union was no help because I wasn't tenured. I have been unemployed since middle of June 08. I also thought math and science were "high demand" but I am beginning to cynically suspect that is so only if your 25 or under. I guess the rational being those teachers somehow "relate" better to their students and as abonus can be overworked and underpaid.

misfitbarbie

misfitbarbie

Olas
Old 11-23-2008, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

OLAS is a human resource archive, used by employers to generate a query to find out what current skills set are out there and create a criterion around those current skills. Its primary function is gatekeeper. I have never met anyone who has ever gotten a job on OLAS. OLAS ensures that districts can maintain their nepotistic hiring practice whether it is family and friends or an affiliation with their Alma mater.

unemployable

unemployable

Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

How are people without the requisite connections ever going to get a job if every district in the state exclusively uses OLAS? To make things worse, NYC, formerly the ONLY place where those with no connections could get a tenure track job, is now using a similar online system and/or hiring only teaching fellows or new graduates. There is literally nowhere that an experienced teacher can lateral to now. Let's pray that Bloomberg loses control of the public schools in June or at least gets voted out of office next year.

wantabteacher

wantabteacher

wanting to be a teacher??
Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

i got on this site because i'm trying to figure out if teaching is the right path for me. i'm in the process of getting my bachelors in liberal studies, so that i can teach elementary level. but have heard it's really hard to get a teaching job. so i wanted to hear your stories. it doesn't sound like a very promises field to get into. now i'm debating on going into another career path. anything i should know about will be a big help.

BandFmRecess

Don't Do it... Read what the others wrote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Don't believe the hype. Read what all the others have written. As you see this has been going on for a few years. I served 20 years in the Navy, which included being a Navy Instructor. I earned my degree in 2003 and I STILL do not have a job. I Sub in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I did everything I was suppose to do except student teach. I would like to start a letter writting campaign to the new Secretary of Education. I believe that if he gets enough letters from people like us, then maybe he will do something about it.
depressed

depressed

music teacher
Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

We have a similar online thing in Wisconsin. It's called WECAN (Wisconsin Education Career Access Network). I have no idea how they choose which applicants to interview, but I wonder if the human resources people (who have NO background in teacher training) decide which applications to pass on to the principals.

I remember one of my first education professors (about the year 2000) recommending that I DON'T take the first job offer - to keep looking and only take the best job. Now, getting an interview is hard enough.

itolduso

itolduso

inevitable
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Why is it that everyone is blaming the districts, schools of education, and nepotism for not being able to find a job in education? This has been long in coming. We have only ourselves to blame. We let it happen because of our own complacency and gullibility. We believed everything that was spoonfed us. We the American People.

About 20 years ago, the party in power (I'll let you guess which one it was) decided that they were going to eliminate public education as we know it. They wanted fewer taxes, and of course, education was the biggest chunk besides defense. They set up a 20 year time line. So they started by demonizing public education and claiming that schools and teachers were doing a poor job educating our children, and that teacher unions were perpetuating this. It was easy pickings. If you don't believe this, check out archives of the Heritage Foundation.

Conveniently, A Nation at Risk and Why Johnny Can't Read and scores of other writings and editorials showed data that backed up the claim that public schools were failing. The press jumped on it and pretty soon everybody and their mother believed that it was true: Schools were failing our children, we were in danger of losing our place in the world. Never mind that poll after poll showed that parents believed OTHER schools were failing but that their child's school/teacher was great. However, the damage was done, and teaching became one of the most maligned professions around. Many teachers I know where embarrassed to admit that they were teachers because of the negative reactions they got. The voucher program and the charter school movement were born. Many private schools opened to accommodate the flight from public schools.

Then came the coup de grace, the poorly executed NCLB, with its punitive and demoralizing approach to solving a highly exaggerated problem. Now schools really got bad reputations because all that testing and data mining took the place of a well-rounded curriculum. Teaching to the test was the inevitable outcome of NCLB, like it or not. More and more well-to-do parents looked at other options like private schools. They blamed school districts and teachers, and did not want to have their taxes paying for THOSE schools. They felt that teachers were getting paid too much for doing so little, and that the teachers unions were the blame. School bond after school bond was voted down, state education budgets slashed until schools could barely function. This was during the good times. The 20-year plan had almost succeeded. Now our economy is in the tank because of bad economic oversight, and schools are in dire straits. They cannot afford to hire any teachers, class sizes are doubled so fewer teachers will be needed, the fat has been completely trimmed so there are no more specialties like music or art or phys ed teachers needed.

So ask yourself: did I vote for all this? Because the majority of Americans did, for almost 20 years. It was part of the plan.

substitute

substitute

tell me if this is fair
Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

ok, let me know what you guys think of this......

I have been subbing in a certain district for three years, and i finally hear of a long term sub job opening and it was short notice, so they quickly put me in the classroom, I ended up teaching in that room for three weeks.
I soon learn(after doing report cards) they are going to interview someone else for the job as well. (just so you know, after 4 weeks, the pay rate goes up) Friday night after the THIRD week i get a VOICE MAIL on my phone from the principle saying they found a more suitable candidate for the job. During my time in that classroom, I was the one who had to average and send out report cards. (that was during my first week) I also was responsible for preparing the students for the state math test that was coming up. During all of this I was PAID the same as a REGUALR SUB who would sub from day to day in different rooms, but I had alot of extra responsibilities. I arrived early each day, and stayed late everynight. I did a hell of a good job, got along well with parents, and knew the other teachers in the school quite well. I was well known around the school. I even had to cancel my night job so I could stay and finish report cards. I never complained about my job, I was on cloud nine the whole time I was there, I was so happy to finally have a steady job, and most importantly, cared about the kids alot!
Also this is the principal's first year in this district, I have been there longer than she has. She told me the reason hiring the other candidate was that this person had more experience than me. According to me, I proved that I was able to handle myself in the classroom, from everything that was accomplished the principal even gave me all satisfactories on my observation. This all just happened yesterday, so I still have alot of emotions going on in my head. I would like to know what others think of this situation......

misfitbarbie

misfitbarbie

Like your Idea
Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Yes it is all hype. They talk about the sub prime market -but nothing is said about the unscrupulous practices of the universities that tell you anything to get your money knowing full well you don't have a chance in hell of getting hired.

First of all if you have a masters, didn't do student teaching, and are over 40, you will not be considered for candidacy. In fact, when I contacted my university LIU Graduate Campus regarding my lack of prospects, they said. " Well if you hadn't got a job now you won't." I replied, thanks for letting me know after you now have me $50,000 in dept. Since earning my dual masters from LIU four years ago, I haven't had one job interview for teaching. The only offer I get is for teaching assistant. Now there is nothing wrong with being a teaching assistant-accept you don't have to have a master education to get that job. The only work I have gotten since I received my two teaching certifications (general/spec.ed) is subbing, which is now being downsized due to the recession. So here I am with a dual master plus 30 credits and in the process of filing bankruptcy, lose my home, and everything I ever worked for, before I got the useless master degree. Yes a master is useless! Case in point, all my friends who only have a high school diploma are all doing well in this recession. All person like myself single, over 40, and who have made the mistake of returning to school, are all in severe dept. I can't even pay my student loan. The lesson that needs to be conveyed to the administration is that “education does not pay”. A law needs to enacted that holds the universities responsible for disclosing statistics of job viability so persons, like myself, do not place all their eggs in the preverbal basket and later find out that basket has no bottom to hold the eggs. If you search the internet you find tons of law suits and information of school employers discriminating against hiring persons over 40, so it’s not like the university don’t know this- they do. They don’t care! They are no different in their approach than the predatory lenders. The other irony that needs to be address is that educators that have jobs, seemed to be the first persons to under mind the relevance of others educational accomplishments who have not yet made their mark. My school, LIU, sent me on a job interview for a teaching assistance. Of course they wanted to hire for whapping $8.50 an hour. I ask is their a opportunity for advance to a teaching position- and the answer I got was “ No” “ We have a line of people ahead of you.” Ironically – I had more education, and extra certification that the classroom teacher I would be assisting didn’t. A friend of my who is a teacher – got excised from her position and had to seek employment elsewhere. One of the districts where she went for an interview, the assistant superintendent said. “Oh, we never had a home economics teacher with a masters before- we can’t afford that”. - And this is from a woman has her doctorate in education. I wonder how she would react if someone told her she wasn’t worth her six-figure salary? I could go on about stories how educators in position of power are the biggest saboteurs of others who had education without clout, but that would accomplish nothing. I think that persons who can relate to what I am saying, should all band together and sign a petition and submit it to the Obama administrations. If anyone interested contact me at misfitbarbie@hotmail.com- Love to hear your stories.

CA teacher

CA teacher

Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I am a first year teacher in California. I was just notified that they will not be renewing my contract for the next school year. As much as we need good teachers in this country, their is no job security or stability in education. I really do not recommend anyone to go into the education profession. No jobs, no job security

bobbi

bobbi

Need help
Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I'm 55 and teaching was my second career. Three months before tenure I was just told our school needs to lay off teachers. I'm so discouraged. Any ideas and careers that I can do. I'm a middle school science teacher

Recruitme

Recruitme

recruiter
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Hello my name is Eric Von Billington and I am a recruiter, specializing in the placement of educators. Currently we have 100 teaching positions available in the Philidelphia area.

Our clients are offering:
praxis reimbursement
relocation assistance
Paid emergency cert assistance available out of state teachers teaching high need subjects
Special Consideration for Degreed Career Changers

The purpose of this message is to see if you can help indentify viable candidates or notify individuals of these exciting employment opportunities with in your network of teachers. If you can assist or know of someone that may be interested please email me at evbillington1@yahoo.com. I will send more information to the interested party.

Again, we are trying to reach as many teachers as we can that may be interested in this opportunity.

Thanks in Advance!!!

offshoreJOBS

offshoreJOBS

BailedonITtoTeachMath
Old 08-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

BS Math MS Computer Science.

InfoTech has been offshored (India) or inshored (H-1B, L-1, etc.) to the point where I thought I'd try teaching math. Did grad school thing at state university w/ student teaching and got REGULAR certification (but did not have to finish 2nd half of getting the MA in Education though I earned a 4.0). I see jobs, but I can't pull an interview.

I know they don't age discriminate, they just REQUIRE you birth date on the forms (and graduation/employment dates). I have all my hair and could probably pull off being much younger if I didn't have to date myself on the application. A friend suggested I check BLACK for race so at least I could get an interview, but I figure that's as far as I'd get.

Firefighter type jobs have all kinds of ways to weed out people over 40 (they require level of hearing that is virtually impossible for 40+ person to have. You could get bilingual or spec.ed teaching jobs being over 35, but only until they find someone under 35. Remember, someone under 35 is seen as easier to assist in coaching or Senior class and so on. TEACHING is the about the worst 2nd career one can choose (behind IT). On the other hand I see the 24 yo's getting those jobs that are never posted and I know in 10 years or so, they'll be replace by a 24 yo themselves.

Anyone know of a good career for 35+ people who are in shape, have their hair, good teeth, pretty smart, basically only guilty of being old and not having connections in any new fields?

07000gasman

07000gasman

07000gasman@lineone.net
Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

need a drama teacher full time NOW in DN14 area just asking

Gr8mayt

Gr8mayt

Down But Not Defeated
Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Dear Sad,

There was something inside you that made you leave the "cold corporate world." Perhaps, it was that you were a warm-blooded being full of love and a need to be in a peaceful, non-cutthroat environment. And teaching; the territorialism is everywhere there are humans who feel threatened by someone with skills they wish they had.

You have intelligence, ability, empathy and skills...plus, by the grace of God, you are still upright and breathing! Hold on, keep dreaming and believe. Something will come up, like Tinkerbelle to the sound of clapping...and you will love it! Ok? Ok!

northernlites

northernlites

Teacher's Remorse
Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

And I thought I was alone................

I decided to go back to college and earn a teaching certificate in Biology after working as an Environmental Educator for three years. I loved teaching life science, and the students responded to my knowledge and enthusiasm. After completing a teacher education program, I worked as a substitute teacher for a local school district and established myself as a competent, innovative, and well-liked teacher who worked well with all students regardless of their abilities. I even created, yes created, a science webquest while working as a long-term substitute 8th grade science teacher. You would think that I would be gainfully employed at this school district, but I am not. This school district and many others prefer to hire people who are related to school district employees or twenty-somethings fresh out of college. I was promised a teaching position for two years, but when it came time to hire someone, I was not interviewed.

My story is not unusual as the other blogs have illustrated. The message I would like to convey is that while I still love teaching, I would not recommend that anyone pursue this profession until there are more job openings. Right now there are too many teachers who haven't retired from teaching in addition to all of the graduates from colleges, universities, and other "teacher certification mills" that are literally making a bundle of cash while saturating the market with teachers that simply aren't needed. I just saw a teaching position posted for one hour per day, and the school district wanted the applicant to have 3 years of experience!!

Remember - most professions don't require college grads to work on an on-call basis for minimum wage while hoping that a permanent job opens up. Also, if you are still substitute teaching after 1-2 years, you probably won't be interviewed for an opening. School district personnel begin to view this as a "permanent sub" situation, and they will even praise you to encourage you to continue in this role.

I'm sorry to write this, but I wished that I would've known this information in advance because I would've chosen a different career path.

Perturbed

Perturbed

So much for believing
Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Northernlights is right. They will beg you to sub, but as for a real teaching position, if your not related to the person doing the hiring or if they don’t know you, then you just another fish in the water. Want evidence, get this...I went to talk to the principal at my sons school. He asked me if I wanted to sub and I told him I'd rather be hired on as a teacher. Know what he told me? He said, "You know what I look for? I look for people that I know". Then I asked if I subbed would I then be hired on? He said he hasn't hired anyone in years and there was no guarantee. Goes to show to ya.

My college professors told me "oh you'll have no problem finding a job because males are in demand". And then while student teaching, my teacher I was paired with told me "oh I can get you a job here". Well, no one told me that there are approximately 300-400 applicants applying for each and every teaching job out there, at least here in my state. And no one told me that the teacher I was paired with had a husband that took his own life. When it was time for me to graduate, she couldn't remember anything I had done! I had to remind her of what I did in order to pass! I remember a student asking a question and she sad to that child "That is a stupid question, class can you tell her why that is a stupid question". She would also put her feet on a students desk while teaching from her bar chair and while the student was in it! I'm serious folks, not making this stuff up. And it was my University who paired me up with her! I didn't get any letter of recommendation from her and no job!

I'm just a single dad trying to raise his son, thinking college would make a difference. Boy, I was wrong. And when I say single I mean just that...it’s just me and him! There are no relatives around, and the mom hasn't been around in 9 years! It's sad to say but we live on food stamps and welfare. Do I like it? Heck no, but that is what it has come down too. I've learned to accept the situation. Believe me, I'd rather be a contributing member of society, but society doesn't want someone who graduated with honors and served 5 years in the military to pay for college. They want someone they know. What does that tell you? Last 2 years I applied to over 100 schools with only 2 interviews.

Our country is slipping in the ranks with our education folks. Hmmmm...I wonder why? Did you know the average term for a teacher is 7 years! That’s right, most teachers out there will only do about 7 years before moving on to another profession. Why? It's the pay, the disrespect from the students, or the politics of it all. None of that bothers me! But here I am, living off the tax payers!

unchienne

unchienne

Right there with you
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

No, you are definitely not alone. I was let go last year from my school (along with a small lot of others) as they downsized various departments due to budget restrictions, and I haven't had any luck finding a teaching job since.

Even the really small rural schools, who normally don't get more than 6 or 7 applications per position, confided that they were being swamped with resumes. It's just a tough job market out there with more and more teachers deciding to postpone retirement and little to no expansion of faculty due to loss of funding.

Right now I'm working as a phone representative at a local call center. I had to move back home with my mother to make ends meet, but she's grateful for the help as her job has also cut back hours and our combined income buffers us against the worst of the recession. I guess I can't complain. Though my income is now a fourth of what it was, my bills are being paid, I'm even able to set aside a little bit for a rainy day, and it is a nice break to have a job which requires no effort or commitment once the work hours end. No papers to grade, no parents to call, no lesson plans or tests to generate in the wee hours. I even joined a gym to get some of the "desk weight" off.

unsung

unsung

Yep, not teaching either
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I, too, am an older teacher and I got so tired of going on interviews and not getting hired. I took a few years off from teaching to help my husband jump start his company. Making a long story short, he passed away 5 years ago, so all I've been able to get are part time t.a. gigs, or interest in schools where the at risk population is challenging and hard, and I am not trained in special ed. My bright spot is I just started to teach Sunday school and my skills are needed, valued, and the families are fantastic. Oh, did I mention there is no pay?

Paolo

I'm sorry you are sad
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

but it doesn't help your cause to denigrate an entire nation of teachers.

Quote: "Teacher's [sic] in Canadian classrooms are very teritorial [sic] and do not share at all."
mof

mof

teacher
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

If this is true, then shouldn't things be turning around with Obama and the Democrat-controlled Senate? And speaking of Obama, we were promised thousands and thousands of teaching jobs with the economic stimulus money. Where are the jobs? I don't know a single school district in Minnesota that added faculty this year.

mof

mof

highly educated, not working either
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

You are definitely not alone. After years of working as a professional writer, I retired to raise my children. Eventually went back and got a master's degree because I really wanted to teach high school English. Started out subbing and got a great job. Worked, very happily, for 2 years. Two non-tenured, older English teachers cut last year. I was one of them. Young, exrememely beautiful gal hired in our place. Ouch! Now I have had several interviews but no offers. Unemployed since Aug. Ready to cry. Starting to look for job outside field of education. Heartbreaking.

nobodyreally

nobodyreally

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Just reading all of these posts doesn't exactly make myself feel better about my own situation, but at least lets me know I'm not alone. I have been looking for a teaching job since last March, when my principal (who was new to the district) kindly informed me I was not returning for this school year (although all of my reviews have been at least satisfactory). I live in a rural area, but still I applied at eleven different schools, got four interviews, and a "thanks for applying, but we just don't think you're the right fit," for all of them. One interview was a joke, they already knew who they were going to hire (a local who'd just graduated from the CC and gotten a provisional certificate). Most schools never bothered to even reply or acknowledge my application. It gets to you after awhile. I'm even finding it hard to be happy for people who do find a teaching job, because I want to ask what do you have that I don't.

Around June I started looking elsewhere. I applied at the local community college, radio stations, banks, nursing homes, state jobs, really anywhere I might use some of the skills learned as a teacher. And yes (to all you non-teachers who aren't even reading this) teachers do have skills besides just knowing their subject. Teachers are skilled in conflict resolution (broken up/prevented any fights?), customer service (knowing how to communicate with angry/protective parents), organization (okay, I won't use my desk as an example, but otherwise), computer skills (everything is on the computer from grades, to lesson plans, to curriculum).

I could go on, but you get the idea. The point is, a B.S. or M.E. or Teaching Certificate should be a marketable degree in any field and employers should be falling over themselves looking for someone with these skills to work for them, whether it's teaching, business, customer service, or any other field out there. But as someone posted earlier, Americans simply do not value education, and therefore, do not value educators. "Those who can do, those who can't, teach". That's what people think of us.

Because of this, I take my bachelor's degree plus 47 hours and I show up to work in food service everyday making 7.25 an hour. A whole lot of good my education did me.

I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm angry that so many of us have to go through this.

lindsey923

Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

It's good to know that I am not alone.. I recently graduated and am becoming very frustrated due to the lack of call backs. I even had a principal take my email from my resume and send me an email saying I should go back to college for something else. Thanks. I have only been graduated for a month & am already looking into going back to school for Communication Disorders.

blcw

also looking
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I just called about a job I am interested in - so are 140 other hunters!
How do I make my self shine in this crowd

blcw
getting desp

getting desp

Tougher here
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

There are so many tenured teachers out of work here, calls for subbing are prioritized by an established seniority list. Teachers who need subs are not allowed to choose. Lucky to get two assignments a week. Some weeks you don't even get a call. Any ideas on work outside substitute teaching? Just not getting enough hours.

getting desp

getting desp

Can Relate
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I was being let go from one position and interviewing for another. I would be slipping into teaching the same subjects I have been teaching the previous semester, yet the job went to a twenty something kid who was a former student teacher and whose dad was the baseball coach.

I had experience teaching middle and high school.

His only experience was teaching a group of ten at a correctional facility the previous year.

P.S. I had quit a professional career to go back and get my credential.

getting desp

getting desp

Can Relate
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I was being let go from one position and interviewing for another. I would be slipping into teaching the same subjects I have been teaching the previous semester, yet the job went to a twenty something kid who was a former student teacher and whose dad was the baseball coach.

I had experience teaching middle and high school.

His only experience was teaching a group of ten at a correctional facility the previous year.

P.S. I had quit a professional career to go back and get my credential.

grogers

grogers

Frustrated teacher
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Pretty much the same thing happended to me. I was teaching in a parahocial school part time for no money and had great observations. In May , I was told me position was being eliminated due to budgetary constraints! I am almost 40 and have been subbing frequently for two years now, but no opportunities to be found. I haven't even been able to find a Instructional Aid position. NJ is the worst!! 100% politics. My degree is Elem. Ed with a Math certificate but apparently a waste. I would love to go back and retrain for a new career before I am "ancient." I am just so paranoid of not finding a position in that either!!!

grogers

grogers

Terrible!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

That is one reason why I want to retrain and leave the crooked education business!!!!

BarbaraMaputo

BarbaraMaputo

Mommy of 3
Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

Hi There All..

It's truly heart breaking to read how many people are without jobs.
How I do wish I could help you all. I am in fact only looking for 1 single person who would be willing to come and HOMESCHOOL my 3 daughter's....in Mocambique..

We are a South-African family living here for many moons now..
My girls are still young and I really want to give them the best possible education,by hiring a personal tutor..

You must be prepaired to come for no less than a year,preferably two.. Will make it worth your while..

Do contact me for more details asap.
Many Thanks!
Barbara

BarbaraMaput

BarbaraMaput

Mommy of 3
Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

Please contact me on bbstrooh@gmail.com

Mr. Music

Mr. Music

Music Ed Gigs
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

The nice thing about teaching music is that there are always jobs out there. The nasty thing is that they're cutting down on the number of jobs- significantly-sized school districts are now pushing for K-12 music teachers (I can't even imagine how that would work on a daily basis). I just interviewed for a job where they've downsized from a secondary staff of three (band, choir, and accompanist) down to one (the open position) over the course of three years. The enrollment numbers have dropped significantly, but it's more due to the teacher changeover than to shrinking school enrollment.

I also just interviewed at a much smaller school - 90 students in the high school- with the exact same teaching assignment as the larger school. There are certainly jobs, but you might have to be willing to teach out in the middle of nowhere or to teach a little of everything. Also, remember that music teachers consider a 30 member class "small". :-)

For what it's worth, I'm in my third year of teaching. My first job I was asked to leave after a year so the prinicpal's friend from another school could retire and double-dip in my position (they advertised the job on a Monday, and he was hired on Wednesday). I've spent two years in my current position in a large school music department, but budget cuts have eliminated me as the least-tenured staff member.

Both times I've been searching, though, I've been offered jobs that I've turned down and I've been fine, so I'm not worried. Just gotta keep plugging away. My wife is graduating soon with her music education degree, so THAT will be when the rubber hits the road.

so depressed

so depressed

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

I was a supervisor of English for four years making 80k and my position was elimnated just like that.... My husband who had tenure in one school but then switched over to teach at our local high school three years ago (he use to walk to work) has also been notified that because he is M.A. +30credits he is too expensive for the district to keep now that they are cutting back on staff. What are we gong to do? How are we going to keep our house? How do I put on brave face for my pre-teen sons? The world is crashing down around me....there are no more jobs. I might be able to get a teaching position at a reduced salary in my district due to a retirement but what is my husband who is almost 48 going to do? With all of his years of experience, no other district will hire him. I am despondent.

so depressed

so depressed

Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

I was a supervisor of English for four years making 80k and my position was elimnated just like that.... My husband who had tenure in one school but then switched over to teach at our local high school three years ago (he use to walk to work) has also been notified that because he is M.A. +30credits he is too expensive for the district to keep now that they are cutting back on staff. What are we gong to do? How are we going to keep our house? How do I put on brave face for my pre-teen sons? The world is crashing down around me....there are no more jobs. I might be able to get a teaching position at a reduced salary in my district due to a retirement but what is my husband who is almost 48 going to do? With all of his years of experience, no other district will hire him. I am despondent.

irr

irr

dUAL CERTIFIED
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

I am dual certified special ed and science and will travel up to 50 miles to work i have had over 50 interviews in the past year but no luck im over 50 and have been tutoring and subbing for 4 yrd

Frustrated

Frustrated

Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

No, you are not the only one out there. I am a beginning science teacher and this is my second year trying to find a job. I had 3 interviews, but no job offer. I am depressed and frustrated. I went through a transition to teaching program, got excellent grades, have some experience in the science field, have been substitute teaching and have had 2 temporary teaching jobs, but still no permanent job. I am so discouraged that I have been considering giving up and going back into the science field.
I was frequently told that I wouldn't have a problem getting a teaching job when I was in the TTT program. WRONG!!

The saddest part is that I love teaching science, I am a good teacher and several students have even told me that they want me to come teach at their school permanently.

I am beginning to think that to get a job in Indiana, you have to be related to a teacher.

Any comments?

James_hp8

James_hp8

You are definitely not alone!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I have been seeking a job as a teacher for over two years now. I have over 30 years experience and thirty graduate hours beyond a Masters degree. I have done well on all of my interviews, have excellent references and letters of recommendation BUT with my experience and degrees I am an expensive hire. It's cheaper to hire the new inexperienced teacher. When I apply in areas outside of education I get told "You are over-qualified." I am at a loss as to what to do next. Much success to everyone else in their respective job searches.

TeachnAZ

TeachnAZ

It is so depressing and empty - year two w/o
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Spent all day searching want ads and websites for teachers here in AZ, it is a dead stick here for teachers - I cannot believe it will be my second year out of the classroom. I am glad our leader is giving $$ to save jobs instead of CREATING THEM - Thanks for all the hope and change you piece of garbage! Where are alll the other teachers who are out of work - I would love to hear your stories!
I feel so lost as i see lack of teacher jobs and realize will not be in the classroom for another year. Arizona is death for education.
Feel like I want to cry but I must be strong for my family.

Lambie161

Lambie161

Unemployed Teacher with 19+ years experience
Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I have been unemployed for 15 months now. I have over 19 years experience in teaching various grades, I was tenured in 1 district, but then left to raise my 3 children (I'll never regret that). I returned to subbing in my local district when my twins were in kindergarten. I subbed (mostly long term positions) in this district for 5 years! I applied and interviewed for every position opening in the district - they claimed they hired "within". Well only if you were young, cute, and under 25! I was finally given a chance and a contract to teach 5th/6th grade. I worked for 2 years with perfect attendance. I volunteered for everything I could from running clubs to committee work. Then after making a comment about bullying of non-tenured teachers by the assistant superintendent, I found myself with a pink slip. I had perfect evaluations and the support of my co-teachers and parents. Still I was let go - because the budget was defeated- so I was told. Funny how teachers with less time in the district got to keep their jobs. My union refused to even answer my calls because I was non-tenured (they excepted my dues though)and the district can let people go for any reason. I looked into suing, but couldn't afford the lawyer fees. I continue to search each day for teaching jobs, but they are incredibly hard to find. I've interviewed for a couple, but because I'm older with a BA and Master's I'm not their 1st choice, especially since the economy is so bad in NJ. I've tried private schools and Day Care but they don't even pay $12/hr. I was making over $50,000. I'm trying to figure out another career, but all I've ever done is teach. It is a passion and a "calling" for me. I don't know what else to do with my life.

Whereismyjob?

Whereismyjob?

No jobs, all politics
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

I quit working in the wine industry to become a teacher becuase I wanted to make a positive difference. I was "lucky" to teach for two years. Now I can't find work. Unless you are young and have the "look," your experience will not matter. If you want to make a difference with kids become a mentor. Teaching is NOT a path to make a difference as a new teacher you will have NO job security and very little support. You'll get all the low level, over crowded classes with the most dicipline issues. Just think, as the economy gets worse the kids get more stressed and act out more just as class sizes are increasing. DO NOT become a teacher, the colleges will just take your money and then you'll have a USELESS credential - getting a masters is about the same amount (or less because there is no unpaid six month internship) of work and it will mean more. I wish our society valued it's childeren but we are too busy spending money we don't have on other things . . .