Rainbow Words (sight words) - ProTeacher Community

lovetoteach:)

Rainbow Words (sight words)
Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering if anyone uses the rainbow word system to introduce sight words or something similiar? I'm wondering how it works in your classroom. I think it would be great to allow my quicker learners to work on my words than the two a week I introduce, however, I'm not sure how to have different lists of words going on in my classroom at one time!

I would love to know how you make it work

TIA!

lovetoteach:) is offline   Reply With Quote

KenzLuv2Teach

My Info
Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Letter To Parents:

To motivate your child to learn their letters/sounds, sight words, or to learn to spell those important high frequency words, our class will be using a fun system called "Rainbow Words." You can follow this link to the website to learn more details... rainbowwords.com

I have adjusted this fun motivational approach to better meet the needs of all of my students. All children will have a Rainbow Color Group to work on but some children may be working on learning their letters and sounds, some will be working on learning their sight words, and some will be working on spelling their words.

There are six groups of words or letters/sounds one group for each color of the rainbow. When your child is able to read or spell all of the words in a color, they will receive an award certificate for that color group and will add that color raindrop to their clouds. Their individual clouds are kept in their F.R.O.G. binders and are for you and your child to see. Not all children are working on the same level or skills or are progressing at the same pace because of this I prefer for this information to remain private for each individual child and not displayed openly in the classroom.

Rainbow Letters & Sounds (1)

For those children who are still learning their letters and sounds, I have set up a motivational and organization system to help them learn to identify their upper and lower case letters. Once the children have completed learning all of their letters and sounds they will move on to doing the Rainbow Words.

There are six groups of letters/sounds one group for each color of the rainbow. When your child is able to identify the upper and lower case letters and their sounds of the letters in a color, they will receive an award certificate for that color group and will add that color raindrop to their clouds. Their individual clouds are kept in their F.R.O.G. binders and are for you and your child to see. Not all children are working on the same level or skills or are progressing at the same pace because of this I prefer for this information to remain private for each individual child and not displayed openly in the classroom.

Rainbow Sight Words (2)

Learning high frequency sight words is important to your child's ability to read fluently. Some words cannot be decoded easily, and your child should know them by sight, we call these sight words. We expect our Kindergarten children to work on learning the 43 words found on the pre primer list of "Dolch Sight Words" in Kindergarten this year.

The goal is for your child to master all of the words on the rainbow before the end of the school year in order to be better prepared for reading in First Grade.

My goal is to make this fun for the children and also make sure each child is individually challenged.

Rainbow Spelling Words (3)

For those children who already know how to read the pre-primer list of sight words or once your child has mastered these words, I will then give them groups of words that they should learn to spell correctly.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.
KenzLuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

MyLittleAngel

GreatJob
Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You did an excellent job with organizing all of this. I look forward to trying this outl.
MyLittleAngel is offline   Reply With Quote