Grade 1 Show and Tell? - ProTeacher Community

l8ybug

Grade 1 Show and Tell?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My grade partner does Show and Tell or "Sharing" the last period of every day. There's no set topic. The students just bring whatever they want and talk about it.

I'm wondering what everyone else does. I want to do some form of "Sharing" but not exactly how my grade partner does it. I don't want to do it every day. I want to structure it more so that it is relevant to the curriculum (maybe topics connected to Social Studies and Science). Any suggestions?

l8ybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I let one child per day bring sharing. I let them bring whatever they want because I don't want to 'police' it. Some families don't read my notices so if I asked for specific things (related to theme) and the kids showed up with a toy, I would feel badly saying they were not allowed to share.

What I have done though is say if they bring something theme related, they can share it anytime (not just on their day) and that brings more interesting items than the usual toys.

I have also had "bring your favourite book" or turned sharing time into a Author's Chair.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

pitta

Sharing
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

During sharing I have them read a book they can read fluently (we have talked about fluency and what it sounds like...reading like talking) or the students read a piece of writing (story, poem, song etc) that they have produced. They have to be able to reread it and do so with fluency as well. They practice if they need to. We talk about being a "good" audience and they really seem to enjoy this.
pitta is offline   Reply With Quote

HeatherJ

Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do "THe Big Cheese" (I think I saw the name first here on this site!) There is one student per day that is designated the big cheese and they have several roles that day. If someone is absent, they do their job on the job board, as well as their own. They also do any little extra errands I need done. The Big cheese puts up the daily number as we count up to 100 days. They also read a book to the class and can share an item that is special to them. (Not a toy) I only have 18 students so the rotation comes around everu 3 1/2 weeks. They all love it!
HeatherJ is offline   Reply With Quote

pinklady2

Superkid
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do something similar to heatherj but I call the helper the "Superkid". That student gets to run the calendar & math warm up activities on the smartboard, take the attendance to the office, etc. That student also shares at the end of the day. Each time we rotate through the class, I give a specific request for sharing. I put it on the monthly calendar. I also send home a note about the sharing. I try to relate it to something we are doing in class. Some examples:
Sept: share a family photo & talk about it
Oct: share a collection & talk about what materials it might be made from
Dec: write a list (I send home dollar store list writing paper)
Jan: share a piece of writing you did at home
Feb: share a 100 day collection you put together at home; show how you counted it by 2's, 5's or 10's
Mar: hide a small object in a plasic Easter egg & write clues for the class to guess what's inside
May: do a book talk on a favourite book
June: share a nonfiction book & tell 3 things you learned from it

pinklady2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reading Queen

curriculum connections
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have one special helper a day who, as part of their job, shares an item with the class. I do a weekly newsletter for parents to give them ideas for what their child should bring and tie in their sharing with the curriculum. Each idea usually lasts for a couple of weeks. For instance, around Thanksgiving, they brought in something they were thankful for. This month they are bringing in items with moving parts that we can sort and classify based on our force and motion unit or a story problem for the class to solve. I put the child completely in charge of their sharing which meets my curriculum oral language requirement.
Reading Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Col

Sharing
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sharing is kind of my nightmare. I know that the students love to do it and I love to hear them tell things to the class, some of the students it is the thing that brings them out of their shells. I really liked the ideas that all of you have and have given me a new excitement for sharing and ways that I can do it in my classroom this year.
Thanks!
Col is offline   Reply With Quote