If you've had a long term sub... - ProTeacher Community

AD

If you've had a long term sub...
Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm due towards the end of the month with a baby. I'll be on maternity leave for 12 weeks. What are some things I should have ready for my sub? She will be coming in for a few days before I go out in order to "shadow" me, and she might do some teaching during that time.

Would it be helpful to have a week's worth of plans ready?
Do I write up a little blurp about each student, where he or she is at, who needs extra help, who's responsible, etc?

I don't want to under plan for her, but I also don't want to over plan. I'd like to leave a few things for her with the expectation that she will go from there.

What have you done? Or if you've been a LTS, what was helpful for you? Thanks!

BTW, I teach first grade.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

wildcatkid

Shouldn't matter...
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Both times I had to be put on emergency bed rest with no warning...

My long term subs were, thankfully, very capable of handling jumping in with both feet...they did have my year long plan, though. My other 2 team members also helped them out as we are a PLC school and we have weekly meetings to talk about our students.

If I could have prepared, like it sounds you will be able to, I would have at least gave them a weeks worth of plans, a long term plan for each unit mapped on a calendar (ex. penguin unit this week, animals in winter this week, math chapter 4 this week etc.)

Now, the kindergarten teacher in my building is crazy organized. She already has all 12 weeks worth of copies and lesson plans done for her sub so that she doesn't have to worry about her kids when she is gone. She also doesn't want to come back for the last few weeks with a mess on her hands.

Congratulations and best of luck! The best advice I got from my teacher aunt was that life will always go on for your students, you have to worry about you and the baby more than your family at school as hard as it will be for you to do. Things will get done even if you are there or not. It was hard letting go, but I did it twice. : )
wildcatkid is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

congratulations!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught first grade for 5 years. My suggestion is to make sure she is famliar with your class procedures. First graders like the predicability of routines. It will make things easier for everyone if she is throroughly familiar with the way the class is used to doing things.
Congratulations!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

longan2

I have...
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My sub was also very capable, but I did leave a week's worth of lesson plans and it really helped for her to shadow me for a day. I did let her know which students needed extra help, as well as the ones who needed and extra challenge, but I didn't write up anything specifically for each student.

Something that might be helpful would be to go over your behavior management so you are both on the same page. I found my first long-term sub struggled with behavior management, so I came back to a class that had gotten used to talking out, etc.

Good luck and congrats on your baby to come!
longan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lostlady21

Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was CRAZY anal when I had a long-term sub.

Here's what I would do though:
*at least 1 week of plans, 2 if possible

*curriculum maps (if your district uses them) with notes about where they will be starting and about where they should be by the end of your leave.

*a detailed description of your classroom management plan

One thing I did that my sub commented really helped her were the picture seating charts I did. At the time I taught 6th grade--4 different classes. We get sticky pictures with the kids' pictures on them after picture day, so I used those to make my seating chart. Helped her figure out who was who a lot faster.

lostlady21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn4Life146

Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was a long term sub last year (in K) when a teacher was out on medical leave. The teacher left me less than one week's worth of lesson plans, but it worked out okay. She showed me where all her files were kept, and I actually enjoyed being able to find and create my own resources to supplement what she had.

I shadowed the teacher for half a day.. that was it. However, I'd done my student teaching in that grade level the semester before and I was already familiar with how a typical day went. She left me a copy of her schedule (but said I could alter it to fit my needs) and idea of what units she wanted covered.

I think it would be good to write just a little bit about each student.. maybe just to give your LTS an idea if the behaviors they're showing are typical or if the students are acting out for her. I'd definitely let her know who might next extra help, if you have any students pulled out (for resource, RTI, speech, etc.), if you have any students with medical or family issues, who your parent volunteers or room mothers are, any parents that she might want to tread carefully with. Make sure she knows your classroom management plan and the classroom rules and consequences. Oh, and let her know if there are any upcoming classroom parties that she should know about! If so, let her know what's to be expected there. Will she have to do any extra duties, like bus duty? Will she be expected to attend after-school meetings or events? What would she do if she has an unexpected illness? If you have an assistant, he/she will probably be a great help to get her oriented those first few days. Will your other grade level teachers help her out, if needed?

I don't know if I'd go overboard with a photo seating chart or anything like that. I see why the PP made one because she had 4 different classes, but if you just have one class all day, your LTS can probably have their names memorized before the first day is over.

If your LTS is anything like me, I was willing to do anything and everything I could to make sure I did a great job. I enjoyed the planning. I did everything that was asked, including some extra duties. I think it paid off, because it led to a full-time job at that school this year. Hopefully that helped you a little bit! Congratulations on your new little one!
Learn4Life146 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everyone! That gives me some good ideas for what to work on when I go back next week until I have my baby.

Beth/OK

I had one this year
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was out for 7 weeks at the beginning of the year, My sub was able to spend some time with my kids the year before- I loop from first to second grade.
I left her notes on each kid. I made sure she had an email account to talk to parents, the school, and me. I also left her modifications I had in place for my kids. I had a seating chart plus a pacing guide for her. My team plans together so I only left a week of plans.
Beth/OK is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You might want to post this over on the Substitute Teacher's board to get responses from subs' perspectives.
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 01-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was out for 2 months earlier this year. I didn't know who my sub was (and, as it turned out, there were about 6 different people in my room....we have so many major district level problems that caused this ) In preparation, I created a "Long Term Sub" binder that had instructions on how to run my classroom, sample lesson plans, important info, pacing plans, etc...

Here are some of the pages that I typed up for the sub. I also included my lesson plans (a minute by minute thing with description for each day of the week), my procedure manual, copies of all the math/LA/ELD pacing plans, and that type of stuff.

Thought that it may help you (although since she will be shadowing you, you already have a leg up on what I had, so you might not have to be so explicit!)

I also left 3 weeks of actual lesson plans for the sub (which turned out to be a good thing in my case, as there were 3 different subs alone in those first 3 weeks, OY!!)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Long Term Sub InstructionsPT.doc (95.5 KB, 160 views)
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks Steph! I saved your plans on my computer and will send them to my school e-mail as well. THANK YOU!